Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Killer jellyfish scared of red

__Kratos__

IN a breakthrough that could bring a new defence against the world's deadliest animal, Queensland scientists have discovered that the box jellyfish flees from the colour red.

While a colour often associated with passion, red is a complete turnoff for the dreaded jellyfish, which in the warmer months inhabits tropical waters in northern Australia and has killed 70 people.

In tests done with Chironex fleckeri jellyfish bred in captivity for the first time, James Cook University Cairns researcher Jamie Seymour found that when a red object was placed before the animal, it would turn around and swim in the opposite direction.

The discovery means protecting beachgoers and swimmers could be as simple as changing the colour of stinger suits and swimming nets on beaches.

Dr Seymour said the find came during trials of coloured plastic with jellyfish in specially made 50,000-litre breeding tanks. "The jellyfish actively swam in the opposite direction from the red. When you put a red tube in the water they actively swim away from it, but if it's a black one, they will swim around it."

He said further research would investigate why box jellyfish were deterred by red and whether other colours could have the same effect.

The box jellyfish inhabit waters from Exmouth in Western Australia to Gladstone in Queensland from November to May.

Source

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder what they think when they see the color red... "AHHH THATS THE THING THAT GOT BOB!" rofl.gif

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• __Kratos__

• mcc0037

• wcturnersr

• Mongyu

Top Posters In This Topic

So all people have to do is wear a red bathing suit and not get out of the water into a bull's pasture.

Haha. But that would attract sharks?

Haha. But that would attract sharks?

717262[/snapback]

Sharks are attracted to the scent of blood...

HA HA! Yea sharks sense blood.....if they sense red then David Hasselhoff and Baywatch would have been in trouble on the beach!

user posted image

user posted image

Aww....sorry for the harsh visual no.gif ....that was so inconsiderate and just as bad as that poor rat dog.....okay well I hope this will kind of neutral things out somewhat but you got to remember that they were hot back then and whoever says they weren't then yes you are lying.....

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Again my apologies but bottom line,.....uh yea sharks are attracted to blood not the color red or it would have been prohibited a long time ago and Baywatch would have not been wearing red............. blush.gif

how do jellyfish see red? huh.gif

how do jellyfish see red? huh.gif

717614[/snapback]

Good one! Anyone have an answer?

I was thinking of Baywatch too. blink.gif Yes blood also attracts sharks but also yellow as my mom likes to say yum yum yellow.

i still would wear red, sharks are color blind so it does not matter to them.

That's intersting. I beleive the theory. Because my spouse is a lobsterman and lobster traps are made in different colors.The colors that lobsters are prone to going into are black, green, blue,purple. Then colors that lobsters are caught in low count of are pink, yellow, red, white. So ya sealife are all prone to different colors. They are more prone to dark colors because after going so deep in ocean then it's dark, especially on bottom of ocean. Bright colors is like a red flag for them.

Box Jellyfish have six eyes on four sides of their "head". 24 total. They control these eyes with four brains. No lie. Smithsonian magazine last month I think.