Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

London Under Attack

<bleeding_heart>

Great cartoon, Blackleaf! original.gif

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Ed

• Talon

• girty1600

• SnakeProphet

msnbc.com just had a breaking news comment... more bodies have been found in the rubble. hmm.gif

Breaking News: More bodies recovered from London subway

More breaking news from our friends across the pond:

Three people have been arrested at the airport under anti-terrorism act!

msnbc.com

Edited by __Kratos__

the terrorists got exactly what they wanted toget!they drew blood on innocent people,and they brought attention to themselves whic is just what they wanted to do.like i 've stated,if this would have been anywhere else but london,say paris or rome,the death toll would have been a lot higher.the british are used to reacting and quick response from all the ira bombs in the 60s,70s,&80's.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/paulukjournal/LondonBombings/

Here is a blog from Paul Dadge. He's the man who many people have probably seen in the newspapers and on TV, with a woman wearing a mask over her face because she was severely burned.

Here's one of his entries -

Hi,

I'd just like to let everyone know that i've just spoken to Davinia's boyfriend and sister. Davinia is making amazing progress in a London burns unit and is a very brave young (not 28, sorry my fault!) lady.

This is Paul Dadge with Davinia -

user posted image

EDIT: merged consecutive posts

Edited by Thistle

Six Auckland (New Zealand) mosques vandalised (01:52)

Jul 10, 2005

Auckland's Muslim community found six mosques vandalised and walls tagged in graffiti with the message "Londoners RIP" following the terrorist bombings in London that killed more than 50 people.

In what appeared to be a co-ordinated series of attacks in central, south and west Auckland, vandals smashed glass windows and doors and left variations of the same message in black paint on walls facing the street.

tvnz.co.nz . . .

= = = = =

Arsonists target British mosque

09/07/2005 22:02

London - Suspected arsonists set a mosque in northwest England on fire on Saturday, police said, two days after a string of bomb attacks across London killed at least 50 people.

A man living in a flat above the Shahjalal Mosque, which is part of an Islamic centre in Birkenhead, was treated for smoke inhalation but there were no other injuries, police said.

The mosque door was burnt and there was some smoke damage inside, a Merseyside police spokesperson said. He declined to comment on reports that a petrol bomb was used.

www.news24.com . . .

= = = = =

Indiana Mosque Arson Probed As Hate Crime

Saturday July 9, 2005 9:16 PM

BLOOMINGTON, Indiana USA. (AP) - Someone tried to set fire to a mosque early Saturday and the FBI was investigating it as a hate crime, officials said.

No one was inside the Islamic Center of Bloomington when the fire occurred at about 2 a.m. and damage was confined to the kitchen area, said Nathan Ainslie, president of the Islamic Center.

A burned Quran was found outside, he said.

Someone threw a rock through a window, then poured a flammable liquid into the building and ignited it, the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations said.

www.guardian.co.uk . . .

= = = = =

This is why vigilantes will never have a good name. These d********s will have been waiting for an excuse to pick on someone.

user posted image

British police arrest 3 at Heathrow Airport

Associated Press

LONDON - Police arrested three men at Heathrow airport Sunday under anti-terrorist laws, but weren't saying whether it was related to a massive hunt for the bombers who killed at least 49 people on London's subways and a bus.

Police appealed to the public to e-mail any photos, videos or images from camera-equipped mobile phones they took in the vicinity of the four blasts.

A former London police chief said it was likely the bombers were British citizens, though investigators weren't so sure.

The arrests at Heathrow under anti-terrorist laws were the first reported since bombers struck three subway trains and a double-decker bus Thursday morning.

"These arrests were not made as a result of information about the explosions that happened in London," said Brian Paddick, deputy assistant commissioner of Metropolitan Police.

Drawing any connection to the bombings, he said, would be "inappropriate and pure speculation."

Deep underground, police officers continued the hot, filthy work of searching for bodies from the worst of the subway bombings. Twenty-one bodies have been recovered so far in the tunnel between Russell Square and King's Cross, and Andy Trotter, assistant chief constable of British Transport Police, said there might be more bodies under the carriages.

Other officers sought leads by examining surveillance camera footage or checking out tips - 1,700 at latest count - flooding in from the public.

Paddick appealed for videos, photos and cell phone images taken close to the time and the scene of the explosions that might provide clues to the terrorists' identities.

If in doubt, police told the public, "please let us decide if the images you have are important."

On Saturday, investigators said they had determined that all three subway bombs detonated within a minute of each other _ suggesting that timers rather than individuals set them off. Police have said that each of the four bombs contained less than 10 pounds (4.5 kilograms) of high explosives.

The London attacks injured at least 700 people, and more than 60 remained in hospitals Sunday.

A former police chief said Sunday that the killers "almost certainly" were British.

"I'm afraid there's a sufficient number of people in this country willing to be Islamic terrorists that they don't have to be drafted in from abroad," said John Stevens, who headed London's Metropolitan Police for five years until retiring in January.

Paddick said police had drawn no conclusions about the nationality of the attackers.

Stevens, writing in the News of the World, said "we have already convicted two British shoe bombers, Richard Reid and Saajid Badat, and there were the two British suicide bombers, Asif Hanif and Omar Sharif, who killed themselves in Israel."

Hanif was identified as the suicide bomber who killed three people and injured 60 on April 30, 2004, at Mike's Place in Tel Aviv, while Sharif allegedly fled from the scene and was later found dead.

Reid tried to detonate a bomb hidden in his shoe aboard an American Airlines flight from Paris to Miami on Dec. 22, 2001. He is now serving a life sentence.

Badat had bought a ticket for another flight, but changed his mind and took his bomb home to western England, keeping it in his bedroom.

It took police nearly two years to track down Badat, who pleaded guilty to a conspiracy charge in February. He is now serving a 13-year prison sentence.

Another major terrorism trial ended in April with the conviction of an Algerian, Kamel Bourgass, for conspiring to poison Londoners with ricin. Bourgass, who allegedly had ties to al-Qaida, was also convicted of murdering a police officer while resisting arrest.

Seven other Algerians and a Libyan charged in that plot were either found innocent or weren't prosecuted.

Police have not released the names of any of the victims. But a Scottish couple said Sunday that they had concluded that their daughter, Helen Jones, a 28-year-old accountant, had died.

The family asked "to be left in peace to attempt to come to terms with the consequences of this barbaric act."

Reports in Sunday newspapers identified a possible suspect as Mustafa Setmarian Nasar - a Syrian suspected of being al-Qaida's operations chief in Europe and the alleged mastermind of last year's Madrid railway bombings.

London police refused to comment, but a U.S. official said Sunday that both nations were trying to locate Nasar.

"He has been a longtime and well-known bad guy terrorist, and involved in terrorist circles," U.S. President George W. Bush's homeland security adviser, Fran Townsend, said on "Fox News Sunday."

"The fact is we and the British authorities are working very hard together to try and locate him and question him," Townsend said.

Source

Edited by <bleeding_heart>

Bus passenger cheated death twice

By Steven Shukor

BBC News website

A passenger on the number 30 bus which exploded in the London bombings on Thursday, killing 13 people, has told how she narrowly escaped death.

When the blast ripped through the double-decker in Tavistock Square Angela Griffiths feared she would never see her children again.

Moments before the explosion the mother-of-two, 36, felt moved to pray.

"I was not panicking or anything. I just had a feeling something was not right," she recalled.

Mrs Griffiths had joined the crowded bus having been told to leave the Metropolitan Line Tube at Edgware Road after she heard a loud bang.

She did not know then that that was because of one of the London Underground bomb blasts.

"We all looked at each other, thinking 'OK, this is London Underground at its best'. No-one knew about the bombs or thought it was a bomb."

On boarding the bus she said: "I overheard snippets of conversation about bombs - a bomb going off at Liverpool Street station.

"We began hearing police sirens and the bus was being diverted because some streets were cordoned off."

She just wanted to get to her business meeting at the Royal London Hospital, in Whitechapel.

But she never made it to her destination, because the explosion tore through the bus as she was sitting on the bottom deck by the stairs.

"I looked outside and saw debris falling everywhere. I felt pain in my back, legs and an ankle."

Her first thought was that the bomb had exploded in the street.

"I kept thinking it was probably safer on the bus and I was waiting for us to drive off."

Only gradually did it dawn in her that it was her bus that had blown up.

"There was no crying, murmuring or whimpering. I don't remember hearing screams. It was a deadly silence," said Mrs Griffiths, a clinical research scientist from Cheshire.

It was when she got off the bus that she saw the full extent of the carnage.

"The explosion was deafening but I did not think it had caused that much damage. I was truly shocked.

"There was shards of glass and twisted metal all around me. It was only after walking down the street and turning round that I saw how much damage the bus had suffered."

She was helped by a passer-by when she got off the bus and sought refuge in an office in Tavistock Square with two other women who had survived the bus bombing.

"We held hands, we bonded and became really close. It helped," she said.

She was taken to the Royal Free Hospital, in north London, where she was treated for minor cuts and bruising and discharged soon afterwards.

Emotional reunion

Mrs Griffiths says she has only just begun to appreciate how lucky she was to escape and be reunited with her family - four-year-old son Richard and 10-month-old daughter Zoe.

"That day I came so close to never seeing them again."

She had been staying with her parents in Reading while she had to be in London for the meeting.

When her husband Lee heard about the explosions he rushed down from their home in Congleton to find her.

Meanwhile Mrs Griffiths was desperately trying to get in touch with her family to let them know she was OK.

She could not reach her husband because his phone switched over to the answering service, but eventually she reached her mother after 20 attempts.

"By the time I got through I was blubbering."

Her mother was so distressed she had to phone her back to reassure her.

Eventually she was reunited with her husband at a relative's home in Whitechapel.

"When I saw my husband I just jumped into his arms and kept saying 'I love you'."

Later that evening she finally got to see her children.

It had been the longest time she had been away from her baby daughter Zoe, whom she is still breastfeeding, and she got her son Richard out of bed she was so desperate to see him.

"I was just cuddling them both and not wanting to let them go."

But she is still coming to terms with what happened to her and now wants to get in touch with the fellow women survivors.

"I can't sleep. I'm emotionally exhausted and tearful," she said.

She hopes being reunited with those women will help.

If you are one of the women who comforted Angela Griffiths after the blast, please contact the BBC News website.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/4669793.stm

Anti-terror police release three

Security has been high in the capital since Thursday's events

Three men arrested at Heathrow airport under anti-terrorism laws have been released without charge.

The men - all British nationals - were arrested on Saturday night under the Prevention of Terrorism Act.

Brian Paddick, the Deputy Assistant Commissioner of the Met, said the arrests had been "routine".

"These arrests were not made as a result of information about the explosions that happened in London," Mr Paddick said.

FOR SHAHARA'S SAKE, DON'T HATE MUSLIMS

11 July 2005

IN THE aftermath of Thursday's mass murder, it was one of the first pieces of breaking news: the Muslim Council of Great Britain had been sent so many hate emails that its computers had crashed.

Not true. Or at least, it is not true that so many people felt a sudden loathing for Muslims that they were compelled to bombard the Muslim Council of Great Britain with hate email.

Because it now turns out that 30,000 emails were sent to the Muslim Council from just one source.

user posted image

LAST SMILE: Missing bank girl Shahara Islam

Anyone anticipating rivers of blood will be disappointed. It is not going to happen. The British people are better than that.

The victims came from everywhere. Even those of us who live in London must have felt bewildered at the sheer range of humanity who were caught up in the bombings of London's transport system.

The victims, the survivors, the missing - they represent every creed and colour on the planet. They were black, brown, white. They were Christian, Hindu, Jew, Muslim. They were from Poland, Israel, Indonesia, everywhere.

Those caught up in Thursday's mass murder also represent every corner of these islands.

As survivors emerged from the smoking wreckage of train and bus, they spoke in accents that came from Glasgow and Liverpool, Newcastle and Essex, and it was a glimpse of London's eternal, unchanging heart - a great city where people come to find work, to build a better life, to make a dream or two come true.

BUT one face haunts the pages of our newspapers. One young, lovely, smiling face, and it is the face of Shahara Akther Islam - a true Briton, a young East Ender and a devout Muslim.

Shahara is missing. You have no doubt seen her face in your paper; you have no doubt seen her family on your television. Her uncle does the talking because her father and her grandfather try to speak and the words will just not come. The emotion is too great, the grief is too raw and the pain is too much to bear.

And to those who now talk about "effing Muslims", I say: How can you hate this girl? How can you hate her family? Their pain is beyond our imagination, and their suffering is our own.

Shahara was 20 years old, and her faith meant nothing to the bombers. They were indiscriminate in their murder. They slaughtered Muslim just as they slaughtered Christian, Jew and atheist.

The men who placed those bombs did so in the name of a warped, fanatical, perverted form of their faith. But we cannot, and must not, use that as an excuse to hate all Muslims. If we do, we give aid and succour to the murderous cowards who carried out this satanic act.

Do not hate Muslims because of bloody Thursday. Save your hatred for those who have surely earned it.

Shahara is a lesson for us all. This lovely young woman saw no contradiction in being both a Muslim and a Briton.

She was born in Whitechapel to a family who came here from Bangladesh, and although she could have gone to university she chose to go out into the working world because she had the modern young woman's taste for designer clothes. Hate her? Hate her family? In God's name how? Why?

I don't think I am imagining it, but I truly believe that race relations in this country have improved since Thursday. I feel that people are going out of their way to be friendlier than they usually are, to be more helpful, to show that we are all in this thing together.

The men who carried out Thursday's bombings may be Muslims, but their acts are so despicable that they completely separate themselves from the rest of their faith.

What gutless cowards they are, the murderers of al-Qaeda. Their motto is: "Why kill a tiger when there are so many sheep?" A motto for cowards.

The bombings of Thursday are no more an expression of Islam than the IRA's bombs were an expression of Catholicism. We should think of the smiling face of Shahara Akther Islam and know that there is no place for religious hatred in our society.

That does not mean we have to be soft. That does not mean we have to be crippled by political correctness. That does not mean we are beaten already.

The hideous websites which support al-Qaeda gloat that London is full of fear. Anyone who walks these streets knows that is just a pathetic lie.

Londoners are carrying on as normal - they are a tough, resilient, stroppy bunch. And they also have to get to work to put food on their table and to pay the rent.

London carries on - partly out of the quiet courage that is a hallmark of our people, and partly out of economic necessity.

If Osama bin Laden himself was running naked down The Mall, we would still have to pay our mortgage next month.

That's the way we win this strange new war - by carrying on. By not despising someone for their religion or skin colour. By being ourselves.

But the men who placed those bombs should not mistake our tolerance for weakness. They should never mistake our generosity for stupidity. They should not confuse our belief in freedom for a lack of will.

NOW, more than ever, we need to show all British people that they are valued the same, and that includes the Muslim community.

But the mass murderers have forfeited all their human rights and we have been far too soft on those who live here while spouting hatred for our country.

We all have our human rights. We all have the right to see men who preach hatred dropped on from a great height. Sheikh Omar Bakri and the other mad mullahs who hate everything about this country apart from our benefits system, shut your faces. Their freedom to spout their bigotry should end right now.

Let's find the men who carried out the mass murder. It can be done. All the evidence suggests that the plan was to bomb the Tube. The bus bombing seems like an accident.

So at least one bomber did not make it home. Who was he? Who has suddenly failed to appear on his street? Someone must know.

And let's find the other cowards and bring them to justice. Then let us talk about bringing back the death penalty for acts of terror. What's the argument against it? That it will create martyrs? They hate us already.

This is our test, just as the test of our parents and grandparents was the fight against fascism. This is the challenge that history places before our generation. It's a battle that will take a long time to win, but it will be won. And if not by us, then by our children.

Someone left a handwritten note among all the flowers of mourning, and that sign said it all...

You have picked the wrong people to pick on.

www.mirror.co.uk

This attack as well as all of the other numerous attacks that have taken place since the war on terror should be a lesson to all of us.

This would be a great time to change foreign policy because it is certainly not working.  It will only make everyone safer.

721377[/snapback]

Agreed, we need to get to the root cause of terrorism rather than the endless cycle of bombing and invading any country we decide is the nominated scapegoat this time, but how do we do that without doing exactly what the terrorists want? The reaction is instinctively not to give in one inch to these vermin. It may not be the best response, but it's a natural human reaction.

721523[/snapback]

A simple yet childish answer: treat others how you wish to be treated. This means putting an end to the American expansion and bringing all of our troops home from around the world. Don't mess with others, and there is a great chance that they will not mess with you.

Guest Lottie

XSAS,

I did not realise you lived in North London. I am pleased that you and your family are safe and well.

Blackleaf, Thanks for putting the article up (above) about the missing woman Shahara. Its amazing because papers like the Mirror usually spurt out utter rot but this time this article is a pretty sympathetic and powerful piece of writing, something that people should take the time to read. Sums up our country - the UK wink2.gif pretty well I think.

Anyway back to the daily grind original.gif .

the death toll rose to 3 today.it might rise to a hundred,there are lots of bodies to recover in the subway. sad.gif

All four suicide bombers died in London attacks.

BOMBER DIED IN TUBE BLAST

It is "highly likely" one of the Tube bombers died in the attacks on the Underground network, police say.

The suspected bombers travelled down from the West Yorkshire and met at Kings Cross station shortly before the attacks were launched on Thursday morning, police said at a press conference.

Their images were captured by CCTV cameras.

Personal documents have been found at all four bomb scenes and although all four attackers are thought to have died police were careful not to say whether Britain had suffered its first suicide bomb strike.

Anti-terror police said they had traced the bombers and six arrest warrants have been issued for addresses in West Yorkshire.

All four attackers - not confirmed to be suicide bombers - are thought to have died in the blasts.

Police said there was forensic evidence that meant it was "very likely" the bomber responsible for the train explosion at Aldgate died there.

One of the men had been reported missing by his family and his property was found at the bus blast scene.

The second man's property was found at the scene of the Aldgate blast and the third man's property at both the Aldgate and Edgware Road blasts.

Sky News correspondent Martin Brunt said it is thought the men were British.

One man has just been arrested in west Yorkshire in connection with the attacks.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Peter Clarke, head of Scotland's Yard anti-terrorist branch, said: "The investigation quite early led us to have concerns about the movement and activities of four men, three of whom came from the West Yorkshire area.

"We are trying to establish their movements in the run-up to last week's attack and specifically to establish whether they all died in the explosions. Today we executed six warrants under the Terrorism Act at premises in the West Yorkshire area.

"These included the home addresses of three of the four men. A detailed forensic examination will now follow and this is likely to take time to complete."

He continued: "We know that all four of these arrived in London by train on the morning. We have identified CCTV footage showing the four men at King's Cross Station shortly before 8.30am on that morning, July 7.

Armed police in Burley, Leeds

"One of them who had set out from West Yorkshire was reported missing by his family to the casualty bureau on July 7. We have been able to establish that he was joined on his journey to London by three other men. We have since found personal documents bearing the names of three of those four men close to the seats of three of the explosions.

"As regards to the man who is missing, some of his property was found on the route 30 bus in Tavistock Square. Property of a second man was found at the scene of the Aldgate bomb and in relation to a third man property with his name was found at the Aldgate and Edgware Road bombs.

"We have strong forensic evidence that it is very likely that one of the men from West Yorkshire died at the explosion at Aldgate."

Sky News terror expert Steve Park said the documents may have been deliberately planted to "send police the wrong way".

The news comes as armed police search a house in Leeds after the Army used a controlled explosion to get in.

It was the discovery that the bus bomber was likely to have died in the blasts that triggered the raids. Hundreds of people were evacuated from the area around Hyde Park Road, Burley.

No one was in the house at the time but armed officers had been used as a precaution. Five other homes in Leeds had earlier been raided by police hunting the terrorists behind last week's attacks.

Neighbours at one of the addresses said a 22-year-old man who lived there with his family had gone missing. Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair said the raids were "directly connected" to Thursday's atrocity.

Hours later, police evacuated Luton railway station and car park to recover a vehicle suspected of being linked with the terrorist attacks. The car was blown up in two controlled explosions.

www.sky.com

Edited by Blackleaf

Damn I'm slow.Sorry,didn't read your post Blackleaf.

Edited by Snake_6024

www.lnreview.co.uk . . .

What the **** do you think you're doing?

This is London. We've dealt with your sort before. You don't try and pull this on us.

Do you have any idea how many times our city has been attacked? Whatever you're trying to do, it's not going to work.

All you've done is end some of our lives, and ruin some more. How is that going to help you? You don't get rewarded for this kind of crap.

And if, as your MO indicates, you're an al-Qaeda group, then you're out of your tiny minds.

Because if this is a message to Tony Blair, we've got news for you. We don't much like our government ourselves, or what they do in our name. But, listen very clearly. We'll deal with that ourselves. We're London, and we've got our own way of doing things, and it doesn't involve tossing bombs around where innocent people are going about their lives.

And that's because we're better than you. Everyone is better than you. Our city works. We rather like it. And we're going to go about our lives. We're going to take care of the lives you ruined. And then we're going to work. And we're going down the pub.

So you can pack up your bombs, put them in your arseholes, and get the **** out of our city.

I've got a "connection" to this. My mom's friends boy friend is ex british army, and because of his "expertise," he was called back to join the Anti Terrorism squad. He might now be going to Iraq. Pretty scary stuff....he must have been a pretty elite officer.

This attack as well as all of the other numerous attacks that have taken place since the war on terror should be a lesson to all of us.

This would be a great time to change foreign policy because it is certainly not working.  It will only make everyone safer.

721377[/snapback]

Agreed, we need to get to the root cause of terrorism rather than the endless cycle of bombing and invading any country we decide is the nominated scapegoat this time, but how do we do that without doing exactly what the terrorists want? The reaction is instinctively not to give in one inch to these vermin. It may not be the best response, but it's a natural human reaction.

721523[/snapback]

A simple yet childish answer: treat others how you wish to be treated. This means putting an end to the American expansion and bringing all of our troops home from around the world. Don't mess with others, and there is a great chance that they will not mess with you.

727573[/snapback]

terrorists will mess with the world nomatter what. the only way to beat them is to constantly "search and capture and/or kill".

Hears food for thought,the figures releast today confirms that we have 285.000 asylum seekers who were to be sent home walking about our streets.

How many of them could be terrorists? how many could have came in as asylum seekers knowing that they would be left to get on with it and would be able to be untraces by our careing athorities.

So the next time we have a bomb or something worse in this country take a good hard look at Tony blair and charles clark and ask yourself,have they done you proud

www.lnreview.co.uk . . .

What the **** do you think you're doing?

This is London. We've dealt with your sort before. You don't try and pull this on us.

Do you have any idea how many times our city has been attacked? Whatever you're trying to do, it's not going to work.

All you've done is end some of our lives, and ruin some more. How is that going to help you? You don't get rewarded for this kind of crap.

And if, as your MO indicates, you're an al-Qaeda group, then you're out of your tiny minds.

Because if this is a message to Tony Blair, we've got news for you. We don't much like our government ourselves, or what they do in our name. But, listen very clearly. We'll deal with that ourselves. We're London, and we've got our own way of doing things, and it doesn't involve tossing bombs around where innocent people are going about their lives.

And that's because we're better than you. Everyone is better than you. Our city works. We rather like it. And we're going to go about our lives. We're going to take care of the lives you ruined. And then we're going to work. And we're going down the pub.

So you can pack up your bombs, put them in your arseholes, and get the **** out of our city.

Do I really need to say anything else to any terrorists that wasn't said here?