Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canada fines 'racist' aboriginal

Talon

Canada fines 'racist' aboriginal

A prominent aboriginal figure in Canada has been found guilty of hate crimes, after making anti-Semitic remarks.

David Ahenakew is a former leader of Canada's national native organisation, the Assembly of First Nations.

Two years ago told a newspaper reporter that "Jews were a disease that needed to be cleaned up".

Ahenakew, 71, has been fined $818 (£471). He rejected the ruling, and said it demonstrated a bias against native people in Canada's court system.

He called the charges ridiculous and said he will appeal the Saskatchewan's court decision.

"I do not mean to trivialise the aura of the Holocaust and the pain of what happened to the Jewish people in Germany and elsewhere," he said.

"However, Canadians also need to honestly discuss the cultural genocide perpetuated on the First Nations people in this country," he said, the AFP news agency reported.

'Dehumanising' comments

The Canadian Jewish Congress welcomed the guilty verdict, calling Ahenakew's statements "vile" and "toxic manifestations" of hatred.

In December 2002, Ahenakew told a Saskatchewan newspaper that "the Jews damn near owned all of Germany prior to [World War II]. That's how Hitler came in".

The judge in his case called his remarks dehumanising and said they were precisely the kind of statements that Canada's hate crimes laws are designed to address.

The former chief spent many years fighting for human rights as a prominent leader in Canada's aboriginal community.

His anti-Semitic remarks came as a surprise and disappointment to many, says the BBC's Ian Gunn in Vancouver.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...cas/4666663.stm

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• __Kratos__

• Thanato

• girty1600

• The Silver Thong

A hate crime to talk...? blink.gif So much for expressing your own views in Canada.

I find it pretty sick that an aboriginal minority would speak out in an anti-semantical manner.

Besides, it was just a fine. It's not like they are putting him in jail or anything.

I find it pretty sick that an aboriginal minority would speak out in an anti-semantical manner.

Besides, it was just a fine. It's not like they are putting him in jail or anything.

723590[/snapback]

Yeah, well I'm always hearing Canada has free speech and this happens...

In America, your right to talk is protected. Look at the supreme court case of skokie, IL vs American Nazi party... pretty jewish city trying to stop American Nazis from holding a rally and the court said it was ok for them to hold it and that the city acted illegally.

Just cause you don't agree with what they are spewing doesn't mean they shouldn't have the right to say it.

Edited by __Kratos__

Hate crime is illigal in Canada. in america the Police Protect the KKK during a march, if they marched up here the Police would arrest them. the KKK tryed to march in Toronto but the were not allowed.

Im glad he was found guilty, tho i think the fine should of been much more thenn $1000.

And yes we can say anything we want in Canada as long as it dosnt cross into Hate Crimes.

~Thanato

Canadian Aboriganees????

I thought they only lived in Australia,or am I being a daft rascist who's watched Crocadile Dundee too many times?

Canadian Aboriganees????

I thought they only lived in Australia,or am I being a daft rascist who's watched Crocadile Dundee too many times?

723782[/snapback]

they mean Natives of North America, you know the people that those evil europeans killed off with diseases and stole thier land 500 years ago xD

A hate crime to talk...? blink.gif So much for expressing your own views in Canada.

723582[/snapback]

Your alloud to express you views in canada all you want.

But this guy crossed the line.

723590[/snapback]

It was more than just a fine they stripped him of his membership to the Order Of Canada.

tongue.giftongue.gifgrin2.gif

724711[/snapback]

*massages head* hmmm... sorry Mekorig, my ESP isn't up to full power, can you please repeat your thoughts in words?

We should know that what he was guilty of was what he said. He said" that the Jewish people were a disease" WOW what do you say to that ? He also said that the 6 million jews that were killed in WWII was not enough....... That is a hate crime.

He has now appealed his case and say's Canada gave him a guilty verdict because he is First Nations..Claiming he is the casualty of racism rolleyes.gif

We should know that what he was guilty of was what he said.    He said" that the Jewish people were a disease"    WOW what do you say to that ?   He also said that the 6 million jews that were killed in WWII was not enough.......   That is a hate crime.

He has now appealed his case and say's Canada gave him a guilty verdict because he is First Nations..Claiming he is the casualty of racism  rolleyes.gif

724747[/snapback]

Yeah... he is just being robbed of his right to speak freely. Canada is Canada... next thing you know you can't say you hate the goverment or the roads because that is against Canada! no.gif

Edited by __Kratos__

Canadian Aboriganees????

723782[/snapback]

they mean Natives of North America, you know the people that those evil europeans killed off with diseases and stole thier land 500 years ago xD

723934[/snapback]

You said it, Conspiracy! yes.gifthumbsup.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hate crime . . to speak out!?! Where does 'freedom of speech' come into play here? I do agree that his remarks were uncalled for, but I wouldn't call it a 'hate crime'. A hate crime here in the US, has more to do with physical violence to person and/or property. But then again I'm speaking as an American, our laws differ from Canada's.

Still I don't agree with what he said, that was 'uncouth'!

lets tip the table. imagine someone had said that the native canadians are a disease.

would Ahenakew have complained that it is racist and ask for something to be done?

he probably would, so why is it a conspirracy? racisim is racism whether its against a minority or not, and shouldnt be tolerated.

i think its good he got fined.

We should know that what he was guilty of was what he said.    He said" that the Jewish people were a disease"    WOW what do you say to that ?  He also said that the 6 million jews that were killed in WWII was not enough.......  That is a hate crime.

He has now appealed his case and say's Canada gave him a guilty verdict because he is First Nations..Claiming he is the casualty of racism  rolleyes.gif

724747[/snapback]

Yeah... he is just being robbed of his right to speak freely. Canada is Canada... next thing you know you can't say you hate the goverment or the roads because that is against Canada! no.gif

724780[/snapback]

He has the right to speek freely we have freedom of speach but what he did wasnt freedom of speach what he did was comit a hate crime which is against the law in Canada.

And that has been in law in Canada for many years.

~Thanato

^ I know that... I'm just surprised a free country has such a law.

Anyways, It was bothering me not to know what it was all about so I found this:

Criminal Code of Canada: Hate Provisions - Summary

Just found this:

Freedom of expression is central to a healthy democracy. Accordingly, although racist and hateful comments are offensive to the vast majority of Canadians, they are not necessarily illegal.

Online Hate and the Law

Enjoy. thumbsup.gif

Edited by __Kratos__

I would like to start a hate group that specializes in hating hate groups. thumbsup.gif

So, let me get this straight... free speech is only okay if you agree with it?

Unbelievable.

I live in the same city as David Ahenakew, wich is Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. I read the newspaper that was interviewing him.

The fact of the matter is that Racist comments aren't free speach, it is known as VERBAL ASSAULT wether or not it was directed to anyone. In addition to free speach, Canada also has laws about being free of Racial comments, and living in peace.

This debate is the reason why the court system has taken so long to decide on anything. I've herd the recording of what he said, if I was a Jew, I'd feel very upset about it.

What he said was clearly a racial comment. It wasn't something said in public, this was an iterview. You don't say comments like this in the public eye and NOT expect to get some flak.

B.T.W. His "Order Of Canada" has been taken away due to all of this.

-Gustav

In Canada we can say what ever we like, religion,goverment,economics,world policies, goverments of others, ect.

What we consider a crime, is talk of hate to a specific ethnic origin,no matter who say's it. Nothing wrong with that.

Kratos what you imlpy is that calling someone a racial slurr has the same effect as a man that has the ears of the people. The same crime has circumstances that must be dealt with case to case.

As much as i hate what he said angry.gif he still has a right to freedom of speech.

People like him usually get street justice anyway - ie. a couple of baseball bats to the head