Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Invasion of Privacy

Walken

The snope has here two incredible true urban legends.

Your personal information can be obtained through the Zabasearch.com web site.

Upon submitting my payment, I was presented with a "satellite photograph" of my residence (actually an overhead view of a portion of the apartment complex where I lived several years ago) and a message telling me that I would receive a full report within one day.

The 15-page "Comprehensive Report" I was e-mailed the next day looked like it had been compiled from some publicly-available sources and some automated guesswork. It contained some valid information mixed in with a lot of bad and outdated information.

Entering a phone number into the Google search engine can produce a home address and a map with directions to that address.

Here we entered a phone number (805-495-9897) and were presented with a display showing the name and address of the person to whom that number is assigned, as well as two links (Yahoo! Maps and Mapquest) which will produce maps and driving directions for that address.

Did you actually try this though Walken? because i read it a while ago and tried various phone numbers with absolutely no success, which would lead to conclude the service no longer exists

Edited by nick_fury

There is at least one internet site that shows you a satellite picture of anywhere in the world, when you type in an address, and another internet site where if you know a persons sir name, you can find their address and phone number.

It is all easy to find out.

Phone number thing is interesting.

Well being in canada the first site don't work, the phone number is cool to try but i try different ones and it don't works either. I agree with Mr ed that everything is really easy to get neway one way or another....

The whole google search with the phone number DOES work. I work for a major phone company and it only works if a phone number is a LISTED number through major companies. If a person's phone is very new or unlisted or through a small phone company, it won't work. But I don't know if it works outside the US. If you can go to the phone companies white pages site and search for a person's number, the google search works the same way. It pulls it's information from the white pages sites on the net.

Wow, this is sure to make a hell of a lot of people extremely paranoid. I can't say it bothers me that much. Don't know if I believe it.

Earlier last year I used to get phone calls a lot from a certian phone number and they would just keep breathing and then hang up, so I googled the number and found out it was my ex boyfriend. o-o. I called him and told him if he did it agian I was going to press charges so he doesn't anymore.

But, it works.

• Like 1

Did you actually try this though Walken? because i read it a while ago and tried various phone numbers with absolutely no success, which would lead to conclude the service no longer exists

It doesn't work for me either - Only the USA. thumbsup.gif

Wow, this is sure to make a hell of a lot of people extremely paranoid. I can't say it bothers me that much. Don't know if I believe it.

Pfft - Theres nothing to not beleive. It's been proven. But the service only applys to the USA.

Earlier last year I used to get phone calls a lot from a certian phone number and they would just keep breathing and then hang up, so I googled the number and found out it was my ex boyfriend.

...Lovely... wacko.gif

• Like 1

Earlier last year I used to get phone calls a lot from a certian phone number and they would just keep breathing and then hang up, so I googled the number and found out it was my ex boyfriend. o-o. I called him and told him if he did it agian I was going to press charges so he doesn't anymore.

But, it works.

726431[/snapback]

Thats right, it was me. Take me back, or the pranks'll start again!

Mr Ed, what is that satallite addy? do you know? and the other one as well. thanks.

hmmmm i think it would be best if you don't give her it mr ed, who knows what crazy hi-jinks she could get up to....you don't want to be an accomplice to stalkings do you??? grin2.gif

laugh.gif Well forizzle knows the site. A few months ago a kid came on looking for his dad. Forrizle gave him the link to this site. I think. He might still know if you ask him, or use the search function somehow.

laugh.gif Well forizzle knows the site. A few months ago a kid came on looking for his dad. Forrizle gave him the link to this site. I think. He might still know if you ask him, or use the search function somehow.

727125[/snapback]

The sattellite imaging address is

http://www.terraserver.com/

It will show sattellite images, aerial photographs, etc of any locations that have images of these mapped. It doesn't get so close that you can see individual people, but you can make out cars and such from some of the images. Pretty cool... not too surprisingly, it was hosted by Microsoft at one point in time... i'm not sure if it still is.

I also read a story a while back where that feature on google was going to be terminated because of all the complaints that they got. *shrug* I don't know whether or not it's ever going to happen.. but yes, all that imformation is pretty easily attainable, and you generally don't need to spend 20 bucks to get it.

Yeah, I've seen the Terraserver thing before (check out 1600 Pennsylvania Ave). I think it was a satellite survey or something. But check out the dates of the photos you see. I think this was done back in '98 or something. Can't remember.

And I use the Google thing all the time to find addresses, names, etc. But I only use it for companies. Never tried individuals. If it gets a white pages type hit, it does give you the option to "map it".

I found my ex- who owed 35 thousand in back child support this way, yes it works. yes.gif

• 9 years later...

I have heard that there is a way you can look at the pictures on someone else's computer over line, but I can't see that being true.

• Like 1

the last post in this topic was literally almost a decade ago.

this may be the most impressive thread necromancy ever.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The telephone number thing has gotten worst in 10 years. Now you only have to enter a landline number on Google and you get the street adress of that number, post (zip) code as well as a Google map picture of the building. This works for all listed numbers in North America. So much for privacy indeed.

Edited by Phenix20

On the other hand, you can prosecute people for stalking you on the internet. It's kind of a big deal and there are lawyers out there ready and waiting to take your case. Whoever tracks you can also be tracked, tracking you.

:tu:

Are we talking about google earth?

Everything you check and do on your computer online can be traced in "the cloud"; at least according to a geek I know.