Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1994's most bizarre suicide

Blackleaf

Roland Opus leaped off a Goddamned high Manhattan residential building on a June morning in 1994.

The body had been caught in a suicide net erected at the 8th floor to discourage jumpers. He died regardless, but the net enabled the autopsy to be performed. Immediate cause of death was found to be a shotgun blast to the head.

Since he would have normally survived the jump a murder investigation was begun.

At the time of the jump, NYPD received a call from a woman on the 15th floor who had heard a gunshot from the apartment next to her.

The responding officers had found an old man and an old woman squabbling in their apartment, the old man holding a 12-gauge shotgun. Their argument largely resided around who had loaded the weapon.

It turned out that as part of their regular, "To the MOON, Alice!" routines, the old man would point an unloaded shotgun at his wife and pull the trigger. This time, however, the gun had been loaded. The blast had missed his wife, taken out the 15th-floor window, and blown away the head of the jumper as he passed.

The odds of this, of course, are incalculable.

The husband swore up and down that they never kept the gun loaded. The only other person who had been in the apartment an hour earlier was their son. Police went to question the son but couldn't find him.

Meanwhile, further investigation by the coroner's office had revealed that the jumper -- Roland Opus -- had had serious financial difficulties (they run a credit check when you kill yourself. Scary, no?) And though his parents were very monied, they'd cut him off.

The coroner's office had found that Roland Opus's parents lived on the fifteenth floor of the building from which he had jumped. They were actually on the phone with the parents of the deceased, relaying the infomation of his death when they recieved a call from the NYPD officer in charge of the attempted murder investigation, who had just heard word of a jumper "minus a head" at the base of the same building and corresponding timewise with reports of the discharge of the shotgun and wanting to know what THAT was all about.

It took them a while to figure this one out...

It turned out that the jumper had indeed been in his parents' apartment earlier that morning. Knowing full well his parents' histrionic routine with the shotgun, he had loaded the weapon, figuring that sooner or later his father would threaten his mother with it, and pull the trigger. Then, with his mother dead, and his father in jail, he stood to inherit the entirety of his family fortune.

However, disconsolate, Roland Opus flung himself from the roof of the building less than an hour later. At the same moment his father and mother were in the midst of a typical argument and Carl Opus, as always, pointed the shotgun at his wife and pulled the trigger. This time the weapon discharged. The blast missed Mrs. Opus but struck their son, young Roland, in the head as he sailed by, killing him instantly.

After much debate, the coroner's office ruled this Death by Misadventure, since for all practical purposes, the young Roland Opus had indeed killed himself.

This won an award at the 1994 National Council of City Coroners meeting for "most innovative death of 1994."

The story was sold to "Law and Order," who refused to run it for fear that no one would believe that it ever happened.

Happy Holidays.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jodie.Lynne

• American Chupacabra

• Daedalus

• nick_fury

thats awesome... I could definately see that making a good law and order episode. nice find thumbsup.gif

i just emailed that to everyone i know

Now is it our job to say this is a made-up story, featured on Snopes and mainly known from the movie Magnolia?

Is this real sounds to wild to be true, but to crazy; not to be

Edited by isis-999

Ok, I have a question (fake story or not). If Roland planned it so he could inherit the money, then why on Earth did he go jumping off the building? I either missed something in the story or am pointing out something very obvious.

Now is it our job to say this is a made-up story, featured on Snopes and mainly known from the movie Magnolia?

727764[/snapback]

Yeah, but he gets shot in the stomach happy.gif

ok! BAD BAD

BAD

BAD

BAD BAD

1994 IS MY BIRTH YEAR!!!!! ohmy.gif

"Suicide net on the eigth floor"????

"goddamned high residential building"????

Why oh why did the Admins put this Urban Legends Forum up?

This will just perpetuate these ludicrous stories ad infintum.

For anyone who might, even for a moment think that this story is true:

Let me assure you that there is no building in NYC that has "suicide nets".

This has more holes in it than my ham & swiss on Rye.

Why oh why did the Admins put this Urban Legends Forum up?

This will just perpetuate these ludicrous stories ad infintum.

For anyone who might, even for a moment think that this story is true:

Let me assure you that there is no building in NYC that has "suicide nets".

This has more holes in it than my ham & swiss on Rye.

730028[/snapback]

It was to my understanding that Urban Legends are meant to be Legends (!), i.e. not true huh.gif

Yeah, lighten up JM, these stories are fun to pass around, noone (with the possible exception of iac tracker grin2.gif ) takes them seriously

>sigh< Not if the forwarded e-mails I get are any indication......

People do not seem too concerned with differentiating between 'campfire stories' and true stories.

Did you hear about the guy who went to Mardi Gras, met some people, got drunk and woke up in a bathtub full of ice with a note to call 911?

but we here on UM are informed intellignet human beings, we can differentiate between truth and myth with veritable ease right?.... on second thoughts considering some of the threads appearing in the conspiracy forum i suggest this comment be stricken from the record happy.gif

Your Honor, The Prosecution Rests.

grin2.gifgrin2.gifgrin2.gif

• 10 months later...

i read this in an email i got.

Wow some story fake or not...

would make a good tv episode for one of

those FBI cop shows

I don't care if it was real or not, it's damn funny :rofl:

Sorry, sick sense of humour here, but nice bit of karma tho.

• 11 months later...
Story is fake look at it in snopes.com

Why does everybody talk like that's the most reliable website ever?

im still wondering why he jumped out the window if he wanted to inherit the fortune.....