Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

LEGENDS OF THE BLUE HOLE

greattenchim

user posted image

The Blue Hole is a mysterious body of water in the middle of the woods in Winslow Township, South Jersey. Legends say that water is as clear as glass and as cold as a tomb, even in the summer. It is rumored to be bottomless and the home of the Jersey Devil. Other legends say that there are mysterious whirlpool currents that trap swimmers and drag them under, never to be found. I vowed to go see the Blue Hole for myself.

I mentioned it to my dad, who has lived in South Jersey all his life. Much to my surprise, he knew exactly what I was talking about. When he was a kid, growing up in Blue Anchor (part of Winslow), he and his friends would go swimming in the creek about a hundred feet from the Blue Hole. My dad was told never to go swimming in the Blue Hole because it was bottomless and freezing cold. Of course, my dad and his friends immediately had to try it. One jumped in, then climbed right out. The water was indeed freezing in the middle of summer. Another one of my father’s friends did not escape as easily. He dove into the hole head first and broke his neck.

My dad (Master of Directions) knew exactly how to get there and save me ten minutes on the trip. I knew I needed a boat. Inskip Creek is about 100 before the hole. The cedar water is murky, swift and full of branches, so be careful if you're wading through it during the summer. I borrowed a boat from my friend Jim, who built it from plans he got out of a 1963 issue of Popular Mechanics. I called another friend, Russ, and convinced him to go. Taking my dad's pick up, we drove into the woods off Piney Hollow Road.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Pine Barrens, it's sandy and it’s easy to get stuck. The road was well-packed most of the way, but there are two trouble spots that fill with water. You had to stop some distance away from the creek, as the sand becomes deep and soft the closer you get to the bank. Russ and I noticed three things immediately:

1) There were signs posted everywhere not to swim, hunt or light fires here.

2) There was evidence of campfires and parties everywhere.

3) There was the constant sound of gunfire in the distance.

Undeterred, we got Jim's boat into the water and crossed the creek where there were the remains of an old bridge. After getting to the other side and pulling up the boat, we walked about 100 feet, and on the left was the Blue Hole. The hole looked to be about 70 feet across and roughly circular. The edges appeared to be raised, which was consistent with one of the rumors I had read: that the Blue Hole was actually a bottomless crater left by an ancient meteor’s impact. The bottom, at least on the edge, was only about a foot. The water had a strange, blue tinge. I took a sample of the water in an empty Frappucino bottle. I stuck my hand in. It was freezing. However, this was November and that was to be expected.

What wasn't expected was that the camera suddenly broke. Had we angered some invisible god by disturbing the peace of the tranquil lake? (Well, tranquil except for the continuing gunfire). We didn't know, but I was getting increasingly uneasy. It was time to leave. We'd have to return later and get the pictures for Weird NJ.

On the way out, I saw what looked like a large dog. When I was growing up and visiting my relatives in Winslow, they always told me to beware of the wild dogs in the area. That roving packs of wild dogs were known to attack unwary travelers and drag them into the woods to be devoured. I panicked, and nearly backed the truck into a tree trying to turn around.

I don't know how to explain the Blue Hole. Is it the hiding place of the Jersey Devil, or the bottomless impact crater of some prehistoric meteorite? How many lives has it claimed so far, and how many may still be lost in its icy depths? Why are its waters so clear and strangely blue, while a mere 100 feet away, the creek is as murky and dark as mud? All I know is, I still have the Frappucino bottle and weeks later, it is still algae free and still perfectly clear, unlike the mystery of the Blue Hole.

–Story, photos by Tony DiGerolamo

Edited by greattenchim

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Piney

• Commander CMG

• greattenchim

• ~Onyx~

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3) There was the constant sound of gunfire in the distance.

Sorry about that!user posted image

Interesting story.

If I am ever in South Jersey, I will ask around about the blue hole. I would love to swim in that, despite any legends and so forth. wink2.gif If I got eaten, it'd be an honor. grin2.gif

If that really is a picture of the place, the water is incredibly blue. geek.gif

What is it about New Jersey, with its devils, haunted ruins, derelict amusement parks, abandoned subdivisions, and other eerie phenomena?

It seems like every unsolved mysteries/urban explorer site I visit has a ton of stuff from New Jersey!

devil.gif

Here where I live in New Brunswick, in one of our National Parks (Fundy), is this large bottomless (and lifeless) lake. No one seems to know where it goes but it's only a few hundred meters from the bay. People think the lake goes down then it goes horizontal and connects with the sea.......

I wish divers would put on thermal wetsuits and go exploring to solve these mysteries.

The people who study carstapography (sp) will put a harmless dye in water and see if it comes out somewhere else. Maybe some could be put in the Blue Hole and see if it resurfaces somewhere along the creek.

I have just one question, if he took water samples why did he not get then checked to see what was the reason for the water being blue? hmm.gif And why has no one been there doing experiments, Blue water in the middle of a forest is very strange, You would think someone would be there looking for answers!! yes.gif

There is a lake near where I'm from, Torch Lake, near Traverse City Michigan. It is supposedly one of the deepest in Michigan, and once again, bottomless. There is a story that I'm not quite sure if I believe, but it seems to be quite the legend up here...

Apparently a diver was searching its depths and disappeared, only for his body to reappear later in Lake Michigan, which is not that far away. I'll see if I can find a picture of it for ya...

torch lake aerial view

found it original.gif

so you see, to the upper left, its really close to Lake Michigan, but its not connected by any canals or direct water paths. Kinda strange... I wonder if they really could be connected under the ground.

Edited by Bizeebutt

That is a really good pic, But the lake is not as blue as the one in the first post? I still wonder why he did not have the water tested! I have lived in many states and i have never seen water that blue! Not in a forest anyway! It makes you wonder,

Is there any form of life in the waters? Because that will be a good indicator as to how close to water its consistency is. I agree with the samping suggested here though. I know that if I was anywhere near that lake I would be on all fours to get a sample to a lab.

i've heard that its the jerzy devil bath tub........................ew

alien original.gif

Wow looks incredibly serene. Almost as if there will be a unicorn walking past the screen anytime. Very beautiful but I don't think I would want to jump in to prove the tale.

He dove into the hole head first and broke his neck.

How did this occur if the thing is supposed to be bottomless?

It looks very pretty...

great story! is that really the lake you were talking about? ( i know several people asked that already). I have seen water that blue before, but it was at yellowstone nat park, and it was caused by algae that live on the rocks, the water was clear, so you could see the bottom, and the algae caused a very eerie blue color to the water. (that MAY be a possible suggestion for the color, just thought I would throw that in). as far as the coldness of the water. there are several "bottomless" swimming areas near where I live. They are not really bottomless, but are old rock-mining quarries (sp?) which have been filled in with water. They make a sudden drop from about 10-12 feet deep, to a couple of hundred feet in a very short distance! as you swim away from the "beach" the water becomes very cold, and stays that way all year. (very nice when it's 100+ with 85% humidity!). the lake in your pic sure looks man-made too. the edges look pretty straight. if its only 70 feet across, (looks smaller than that in the pic!) I doubt that it was a rock quarry, but it could have been some sort of abandoned mine.

Very cool! I have a friend who lives in New Jersey, im gonna ask him about this and see what else i can find out.

Very cool story though.

Yeah, there are plenty of lakes and ponds made from quarries around where I live as well that appear bottomless. I like swimming in scary deep water. blink.gif Being scared is great!

Honestly I thought the pic at the top of the thread looked photoshopped... by the extreme color. Anyone second that? unsure.gif The reflections of things on the water wouldn't be that vividly colored.

Edited by Monkyburd

Yeah, there are plenty of lakes and ponds made from quarries around where I live as well that appear bottomless. I like swimming in scary deep water.  blink.gif Being scared is great!

Honestly I thought the pic at the top of the thread looked photoshopped... by the extreme color. Anyone second that?  unsure.gif The reflections of things on the water wouldn't be that vividly colored.

731854[/snapback]

That's what I thought too, because the water's color doesn't seem to match or blend in with it's surroundings and it makes it look surreal.

It looks very pretty...

731476[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing... how did he break his neck in a bottomless water filled hole?? I have to say it looks like one serene and inviting place to skinny dip.

I have to say it looks like one serene and inviting place to skinny dip.

Heck yes it does! w00t.gif Mmmmmm, Forbidden Pond....

It looks very pretty...

731476[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing... how did he break his neck in a bottomless water filled hole?? I have to say it looks like one serene and inviting place to skinny dip.

731872[/snapback]

The bottom, at least on the edge, was only about a foot. The water had a strange, blue tinge. I took a sample of the water in an empty Frappucino bottle. I stuck my hand in. It was freezing. However, this was November and that was to be expected.

730174[/snapback]

That's how thumbsup.gif

Edited by Larving