Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Baby Sitter and the man upstairs

Tillghast

First I have to say this new section is awsome!

Ok ok, now, about the old myth the baby sitter and the man upstairs.

I bet you all heard this myth from a friend whose stepdad's cousin's brother's exwife's Carribiean guide in Puerto Rico. Its about a baby sitter who gets increasingly creepy phone calls from a man claiming he's killed or telling the woman to check on the children, the police trace the call and its the upstair extension.

There is one variation that I know of.

1. A woman is babysitting 2 kids. At bedtime she tucks them in. They complain about a clown statue. The woman doesnt know what to do and just covers it up with a blanket and then calls the parents to check in. However, when she mentions the clown statue, the parents deny having one...

Opinons? Variations?

she tucks them into bed and gets a creepy calls. Calls the police and they trace it to the extension. The man then continues to kill the kids.

she tucks them into bed and gets a creepy calls. Calls the police and they trace it to the extension. They run upstairs and it's the kid with a voice changer

Careful, reading on is kinda gruesome..

the sitter has a friend helping. They get creepy calls. The friend goes to check upstairs, to see if the man was upstairs, like he said. a bit later she hears thumps. She goes upstairs and finds her friend pulling herself along with her chin. Her limbs had been chopped off.

I've heard a variation of the clown statue, and thanks to Snopes, here it is :

A couple with children were trying out a new babysitter. About an hour after they left for a night on the town, they realized they had forgotten to give her their cell phone number, so one of them called her.

After she wrote down the number, the babysitter asked if she could watch satellite TV in their bedroom. She had just put the children to bed and wanted to watch a particular show. (The parents didn't want their children watching too much garbage, so the living room TV did not have satellite channels.)

Well of course she could watch TV in their room, they replied. The babysitter had one other request: could she put a sheet or blanket over the clown statue that was in the bedroom? It kind of made her nervous.

Take the children and go to the neighbors, said whichever parent was talking to her. We'll call the police. We don't have a clown statue.

The police caught the clown as he was running through the neighborhood.

the sitter has a friend helping. They get creepy calls. The friend goes to check upstairs, to see if the man was upstairs, like he said. a bit later she hears thumps. She goes upstairs and finds her friend pulling herself along with her chin. Her limbs had been chopped off.

730285[/snapback]

??? blink.gif

That one with the limbless girl is also used in the Hatchetman.

730285[/snapback]

??? blink.gif

730295[/snapback]

yah

She goes upstairs and finds her friend pulling herself along with her chin. Her limbs had been chopped off.

730285[/snapback]

That is insanely sick ohmy.gif

It just occured to me that, although farfetched about 90% of babysitter legends could be true, as in to say could be replicated, and with reasonable ease as well....now that's spooky

No urban legend here just an old movie called When a Stranger Calls It scared the poop out me when I saw it unsure.gif

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons

I heard a version that says she gets a call back from the cops, they tell her it's from upstairs, and to get out of the house (never mind the kids eh?), so as she is high-tailing it to the front door she looks over her shoulder to see the 'murderer' walking down the stairs carrying two bloody severed heads...

nice eh? innocent.gif

No urban legend here just an old movie called When a Stranger Calls It scared the poop out me when I saw it  unsure.gif

730821[/snapback]

"Have you checked the children?"

>heavy sigh< Yes this was a movie. And, while the scenarios illustrated above are >>>possible<<<, they are improbable.

You should really check out Snopes.com: they have all of the stories that have appeared on this forum.

Really quite educational.

they could happen though, which is why I hate myself for reading these, I'm babysitting tomorrow! ahh!

they could happen though, which is why I hate myself for reading these, I'm babysitting tomorrow! ahh!

730862[/snapback]

....I'll be calling......

730862[/snapback]

....I'll be calling......

730883[/snapback]

dontgetit.gifno.gif

"Have you checked the children?"

730850[/snapback]

Yikes...JPMD1 that line makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. unsure.gif

The part about that legend that always bothered me is that you can't use a connection to dial another phone on the same line. Both phones would have to have different numbers.

The part about that legend that always bothered me is that you can't use a connection to dial another phone on the same line. Both phones would have to have different numbers.

730940[/snapback]

sometimes it's an extension

I hate this story, when i was younger and would babysit i always thought about it. wacko.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Whats with all of the BABYSITTERS getting calls, maimed and stuff... they are just trying to watch kids?

Once I was babysitting at night, and after the kids were bed I was watching TV. I saw a figure outside out of the corner of my eye, and then I heard the doorbell ring. I immediately thought of this story and had myself convinced it was a murderer at the door. I went over to the window to see who it was, but the bush was in the way, so I just waited and hoped whoever it was would leave. They only got more impatient, so I finally went to the door. Turns out it was just my mother. I can't remember what she wanted, only that she wasn't happy about me not letting her in. rolleyes.gif

nice story though... wink2.gif

One time when I was babysitting, somebody called the house I was babysitting at and told me they were upstairs and blah blah the whole urban legend bit. Funny thing was I happened to be in a one story house. I love my friends.

• 3 weeks later...

haha this section is going to give me nightmares.

A friend did that once. He had her older brother call the house that I was babysitting, while he snuck in the house (it was his house, he was supposed to be on a date. haha they fought and she stormed off)

When I went upstairs to check on the little ones, he jumped out and scared the living crap out of me...disgust.gif it was supposed to be an april fools day joke.

I let the little kids kick the crap out of him the next day tongue.gif