Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The b* House

greattenchim

[attachmentid=17433]

The b**** House a.k.a. Claude Reign's Estate

This huge ivy-covered Victorian mansion is truly one of the eeriest and scary places that I have ever encountered. A place of much history, it was inhabited for years by the wealthy Biddle family who at one time owned most of West Chester, PA, as well the once famous "black-and-white" era film actor, Claude Reigns. (Who starred in Casablanca, among other movies...) Found on the outskirts of West Chester, this mammoth structure has been abandoned for 20 years or so, and it is the subject of many local urban legends and is rumored to be haunted by at least one of its former inhabitants. The property contains the utterly spooky mansion itself, the ruins of an older stone home, a large barn, and a few smaller houses as well. (Probably serving as servant quarters)

Why has everything (personal possessions, piles of household items and antiques) been kept inside the place, scattered and thrown about, yet not removed or preserved? People speak of a murder that was covered-up by some sort of pay-off, having taken place on the evil premises. All I know is that this is absolutely the scariest place that I have ever been in. With jars of strange chemicals, scythes and swords, dead squirrels nailed to the wall, not to mention an oppressive aura of negativity and fear interspersed in the environment, the hallowed and extremely haunted walls of the Biddle Mansion are not meant to be entered, unless one is prepared to face raw fear in its most primal state.

(I have over 15 pages written about this place and have two old pictures - 1907 and 1927 - of the weird family members that once lived there)

Edit-Added pic as an attachment to fix page distortment

-UA

post-2070-1123383217_thumb.jpg

Edited by UniversalAbsurdity

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greattenchim

• Duramus

• distortedpandy

• ghost_hunter_Morg

Wow, neat house! thumbsup.gif Now see, that's just the type of place I would like to own someday! yes.gif

I agree with you Girty! I Love those types of homes and would very much Love to own one someday. Even if it was haunted! tongue.gif

(I have over 15 pages written about this place and have two old pictures - 1907 and 1927 - of the weird family members that once lived there)

Well why don't you post that stuff?!

huh.gif why is this in the crypto section?

I've been to this house.....it's an extremely eerie place...

you should post those 15 pages, so everyone can have a look see....

Well why don't you post that stuff?!

732049[/snapback]

Please do. grin2.gif

beacause the guy did not post his research on the site! just a small over view!

• 4 weeks later...

Could you tell me where the Biddle Mansion is?

I'm near West Chester, PA and I'd like to find this place.

-Morg-

That is a truly fascinating estate and I would love to learn more about it.

OOOhhhhh!!! That is cool. I wouldnt want to go in there...but I would like to see pictures of it! LOL!

I love stories like that and big old creepy houses. But when my husband and I buy a house next year I have already decided it will be a NEW house FAR away from any OLD houses! LOL!!

Actually, I live in a neighborhood that has some really old houses in it and someof them creep my out just driving by them. grin2.gif

By the way, do YOU have the pictures or was it someone else who wrote the review?

Edited by maryjo1975

huh.gif  why is this in the crypto section?

I've been to this house.....it's an extremely eerie place...

you should post those 15 pages, so everyone can have a look see....

732144[/snapback]

Hey hun, I think we've found our place! laugh.gif

Gorgeous place! I love old houses like this, I often like to go looking around these places. I don't seek paranormal things, I just like the designs of old houses. tongue.gif

I agree with half of the people here, this house is so awesome. The Squirrels nailed to the wall, however, is kind of disturbing.

I love the architectual design of this mansion! Beautiful building. Would love to see the inside! wub.gif

• 7 years later...

i have lived most of my life in West Chester and the information in this post is wrong on most counts. This picture is not of the "Biddle Mansion". There is no "Biddle Mansion". There is a beautiful Victorian house located on Birmingham Rd. outside of West Chester that was built as a summer home for the Biddle family, a prominent Phila. family. They used it to escape the hot, humid summers in the city. It has never been abandoned to my knowledge, and recently changed hands after being on the market with an asking price in excess of a million dollars. I have never heard of any house in the area called the "b* House". Also, Claude RAINS never lived there. He did own a beautiful home in West Chester Boro at the corner of S. Church and Dean Sts which is still a private residence and is beautifully maintained. One of his wives was a West Chester native and they used the house when they came to visit her family. The mansion in the picture does look familiar to me - I'll do some research and see if I can figure out where it is. I believe it is a mansion in Frazer, Pa. that was abandoned for many years.

• 1 month later...

that place looks creepy as hell, i can tooootally see it being that way on the inside too. which, btw, you should put pictures up of. i'd love to see it.