Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

This'n That #6 - $3.4M For the 'Smoking Gun'

Saru

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Nancy

• Kismit

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Great editorial Nancy. original.gif

I think what is needed now, is either a way to ensure that pieces of foam do not fall off the rocket during takeoff, or some sort of re-enforced panelling to prevent such damage from being sustained in future.

It is an interesting question, what NASA would have done had they known of the problem in it's totality while Columbia was still up there. I can imagine they would have done everything humanly possible to help the crew rectify the problem before re-entry, but whether they would have been successful or not is something we will likely never know.

Great editorial Nancy.  :)

It is an interesting question, what NASA would have done had they known of the problem in it's totality while Columbia was still up there. I can imagine they would have done everything humanly possible to help the crew rectify the problem before re-entry, but whether they would have been successful or not is something we will likely never know.

SaRuMaN rolleyes.gif Thank you for the compliment!

I thought long and hard about the point you make, before I included this in the Editorial.

If Mission Control knew for certain that there was NO chance for survival, do you really think they would have advised the Crew, in advance?

This is part of the "puzzle" that has bothered me for years. Needless to say, if "Return To Flight" is ever granted, this may just be faced again. While all those trained for Space Flight know the dangers, I still wonder, when "push comes to shove" ......... Would NASA reveal this to the Crew?

Of course this is all speculation, based on what we know AFTER the fact of the loss of Columbia.......... Goose bumps here, even in Hot, Sticky Florida. crying.gif

Thankyou Nancy ,

What a brilliantly written editorial . It left me feeling even more respect for the people who lost there lives during the mission . I don't wish to sound sickly sweet about it , I just really enjoyed reading it . original.gif

Thankyou Nancy ,

What a brilliantly written editorial  . It left me feeling even more respect for the people who lost there lives during the mission . I don't wish to sound sickly sweet about it , I just really enjoyed reading it  . original.gif

(((Kismit))) thank you so very much! I really poured my heart and soul

into this one.

It has just been reported that Atlantis also experienced a "breach" in 2000.

After I digest all the information, I intend to write again, although I don't want to wear out SaRuMaN, so more than likely I'll post it on my site www.spacenstuff.com

It seems that the CREW of Atlantis was NOT advised of this problem. Perhaps that answers one of my many questions. Would NASA, knowing the serious dangers, let the Crew be made aware, while on orbit?

As far as I'm concerned Kismit? You can get as "sickly sweet" as you need to be. This is a very emotional subject, as least for me.

Thank you again for reading!

Nancy

http://space.com/missionlaunches/sts107_ap_030708.html