Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Druids, Magic & Pagans

The Raven

First I'm going to thank Darkwind and Faeden for your informational and inspirational posts; and I know you two are some of the best people to ask based on your beliefs. Darkwind, If you don't mind, what did you mean when you have been to the spirit world?

Also, Faeden, I had no intentions of reading any material by the person you speak of [by what you say shes a Sylvia Brown] but I would like to know as many good books as possible. I've got plenty of free reading time.

I joined a druidic order many years ago.  It only last a few months before I felt very disillusioned.

I enjoyed back then the teachings, but like anything - people are corruptible. 

This group of people were always trying to prove who was the better druid.

Turned into bull**** for me.

Anyway - wild times! 

Cheers

750458[/snapback]

I've never been part of many groups on ANY topic, but being arrogant enough to try and prove yourself better than another goes against about everything I know. Everyone is equal. The most physically powerful person in the world is equal to the most frail. Power doesn't matter to the realistic and true, only to the selfish.

Edited by The Raven

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SilverCougar

• The Raven

• Grandpa Greenman

• Tornado

If you wish to learn about druidism, it is not as "lost" as many would think.

Find a secluded place away from people and manmade things and just sit, sit and listen to nature. The willing will be taught, and if you are willing you will hear natures teachings.

Also do not confuse druidism with shamanism, shamanism is based more around the elements of nature than nature itself.

Humbly

Shadow

To Ride a Silver Broomstick is not the best book to read in my opinion, if you want to learn about the craft, as its more for teenagers, and fad seekers, than anything else, I am not personally a fan of Silver RavenWolf's books, it seems very media influenced, and not really in depth, aimed at those that love shows like charmed ect.

I would suggest books by Rae Beth, who really gets down to the nature worship side of it. Also Teresa Moorey, D.J Conway and Vivianne Crowley are all great and wise authors that I highly recommend.

Good luck in your learning.

All the best

Faeden

749912[/snapback]

Thank you Faeden. That is exactly the impression I got from that book. It was like "The Craft for Dummies" or something. It was lent to me by a 30-something practitioner so I rather expected it to be more in depth and intellectual. I will check out the authors you recommended.

No no no Faeden, you quite miss the point. It DID work, that's the point, but in rather malevolant ways.

750389[/snapback]

Ashley you seemed to have misunderstood what I was trying to say, so ill quote what I said. When I said worked for you, I meant why it did not work positively for you personally, based on your attitude if I remember rightly you believe that angels are war loving types, and that the spirit world is about war and conflict. Sorry if I am wrong.

Ashley, Just because the craft did not work positively for yourself, doesn’t mean others should not do it, if you go into anything with the wrong attitude it can bite you on the ass, you seem to have a more of a "Buffy the vampire slayer" attitude on the craft, than the nature worship side. Christianity doesn’t work for some people, and can have devastating effects on peoples lives, does that mean that people should not practice Christianity and dont do it! ? NO!!!

Magic is about thought, and of the power of the mind, and your minds connection to the spirit mind of god and goddess, and the nature of the spiritual universe. Your results will mirror what is in your heart and mind, you have to enter the craft with a pure heart and positive mind, otherwise problems can evolve. Craft work is about manifesting our thoughts and emotions into our every day lives, if your thoughts are negative then negative things will manifest.

All the best

Faeden

QUOTE(Ashley-Star*Child @ Jul 24 2005, 02:43 AM)

No no no Faeden, you quite miss the point. It DID work, that's the point, but in rather malevolant ways.

If you put out negativity you get back negativity: if you put out positive you get back positive.

Raven...Darkwind, If you don't mind, what did you mean when you have been to the spirit world?

Through meditation (no drugs needed) you can enter a different realm that over- lapse this one. You can still see this one, but it looks very different. You can also see beings that exist in the other realm. You are really between worlds. What we call faeries, little people, demons, God/desses are all beings of this realm. I haven't done it in a while as it is quite draining and with my illness, I end up in bed for a day after I do it. When you do it you have to bare in mind there are either world beings don't like us for whatever the reason (maybe it is how we treat our Mother Earth) so you need to learn how to protect yourself. There are also beings that want to use us for their own purposes, they are tricksters and you have to see through that. Then there are the beings that want to help and teach us. They make it worth while. It is not so much the destination, but the journey.

darkwind, without meaning to pry too much, would you mind sharing what kind of illness you have and how going into the state you were talking about effects that illness please?

Also, you talk about meditation to get you into this other realm. Would you mind expanding on what you do in this meditation time and what kind of things you concentrate on. thanx.

Paganism, Druids, The Craft are all faiths that require study. Not from one book or about one book, but from many disciplines; science, physics, metaphysics, ancient history, Myth, theology of all religions, and archaeology.  It is not for the faint of heart.  It is an experience religion.  I have learned as much or more from talking to the trees as I have from books.  When you embark on this Path you are in search of the true nature of the universe. 

749835[/snapback]

I think that statement speaks to Christianity and all other religions as well. How can one expect that one book holds all the information? I consider myself Christian because I believe that JC was the son of the God who paved the way for spirits/souls to continue on in a more open reincarnation loop. I also believe in a Goddess (whom I identify as 'Mother Earth' and Sophia/Wisdom). I believe in reincarnation and astral plains, natural healing, and the like.

People, no matter which religion they chose to practice, owe it to themselves to learn all they can about every spiritual path. It's amazing how interconnected they really are if you go back far enough.

Ashley you seemed to have misunderstood what I was trying to say, so ill quote what I said. When I said worked for you, I meant why it did not work positively for you personally, based on your attitude if I remember rightly you believe that angels are war loving types, and that the spirit world is about war and conflict. Sorry if I am wrong.

I think you've taken it out of context. Now about angels, yes, there are angels that wage war, in all the history that has been written of them both good and bad have the ability to have 'wars'. That's not t say angels are malevolant (some may very well be), angels do help people, but I find there to be a little to much of a generalization of angels. They, like us, have personalities. Adam and Eve were created a 'second kind of angel' in which after temptation, bought themselves and all their offspring mortality. The only 'angels' who can die, repdroduce, marry, and have true free will, but it comes with a price.

So, then Ashley, if Angels have personalities, names, jobs, and egos, what makes them different from us?

Are you suggesting that if Adam & Eve hadn't succumbed to temptation, we would be immortal and more akin to angels?

Angels are different (Enoch account aside, as they wanted, and had what this 'second angel' did) in that like I said, they can't marry, reproduce, don't have free will i.e. unlike us where we have 'chances' if they refuse God's command, they will instantly be cast out, and punished. That punishment can last for a length of time. The angels of Enoch were bound for 7000 years to the Earth, and punished in their own angel 'hell' or prisonhouse as it's called on Pluto for 2000, equalling a whole 9 'days' (one 'day' equalling 1000 Earth years, just as the Creation itself was 7000 Earth years), after which, they must at the fnal judgement 'Heal the Earth they plagued and give life back to her (the Earth).' If there is any chance of redemption for them, that would be it. We have free will, in which when God made Adam and explained about free will and showed him the 'light and the dark' paths, that this test was to see 'Who among your race will love or abhor Me'. God gave this creation the ability to choose, to see what they would do. He didn't make the first kind of angels for this (free will). God having created Adam in His image (or the face specifically) asked all angels to worship this second one, but satanail refused saying 'Why should I, a son of fire, bnow down to a son of clay. I was created before him, he should worship me!' and the angels under his command all refused, he tried to ascend his thrown and was cast out. This was his agenda behind the whole 'tree of knowledge'. He is an accusing angel, able to test and tempt to test the limits of devotion. The tree was there as a test of free will, to see what they would do, and they were warned that the day they ate from it, they would surely die (and Adam did die in that 'day' being 70 years off 1000), and there mortality was born.

Another account later talks of Adam and Eve trying to repent by being in a river (earliest form of Baptism) and satanil, appearing as an 'angel of light' crying as th other angels did for them said to Eve 'come out of the water, all has been forgiven'. She got out, and Adam saw her asked why saw satanail etc, in which he asked 'Why do you hate us, what have we ever done to you?' I which he said, 'Oh no, it's because of you that I have lost my place among my bretherin, and or this I will be after you for all eternity. The enemity was of jealousy. Satanil was God's favourite and highest angel, gievn the highest power by God Himself. He being an accusing angel, can now tempt test and accuse man before God, and at one time, even his own kind, being jealous of even them.

The answer to the second question is yes. Death literally would never have touched man, we would be immortal.

The answer to the second question is yes. Death literally would never have touched man, we would be immortal.

757497[/snapback]

This is getting really off topic of "Druids, Magic, and Pagans," but what if man eventually achieves immortality by Science and Technology? Will it be some gift granted to us by perfection [Even if we can't die, we're not going to be perfect] or just something unexplainable?

In the mean time I'll try and think on the norse story of how we became mortal... tongue.gif

I think a 'mock' immortality will be achieved in the future, but human 'immortality' has boundaries that true immortality does not, and that will never change.

The author of "To Ride A Silver Broomstick" is also the same author of "How To Be A Teen Witch." The author, Silver Ravenwolf, in my humble opinion is giving serious Witches, Wiccans, and Pagans a bad name. She is what I call a "fluffer-nutter."

only think I use books for is herbs and recipies now a days anyways. I don't need instructions on being Pagan.

Edited by SilverCougar

only think I use books for is herbs and recipies no a days anyways.  I don't need instructions on being Pagan.

757936[/snapback]

Thats a really nice way to put it, and I never thought of it that way. I can't blame people for playing off of the beliefs in order to make $$ though, since things like "teen wicca" seem to be a fad these days.

Ashley, what do you see as the difference between Immortality and True Immortality?

The author, Silver Ravenwolf, in my humble opinion is giving serious Witches, Wiccans, and Pagans a bad name. She is what I call a "fluffer-nutter."

Her being fluffer-nutter gives me a bad name too! Ravenwolf, pfft.

Edited by The Raven

I regret that I have been involved with magic and 'the Circle' before, taking the element of 'fire'. I've talked briefly about the after effects on here a few times. Here's some advice from someone who has been there. Don't do it..

743798[/snapback]

well I done it to...but why should I regret? there is nothing to be ashamed on.

I say instead go out and try...look around and dont be afraid.

But if you want to do some magic (or whatever u want to do) do it with experienced people..dont do it alone.

hmm wicca...I know many people who is involved in wicca.

There is lot of BS (bu11sh1t) out there but also lot of serious thing.

But first at all what's paganism? well already the word pagan has nothing to do with any kind of religion.

The word pagan is what the italian word paesano (or paisan in dialect) is and it mean peasant (paese=village). That's because back in the roman empire must of the cristians were living in the cities and the followers of the ancient religion for the must in villages. The word pagan it's a insult by cristians to other groups...sad but true.

There never was a pagan religion, but lot of different religions, just like today. Only a ignorant after all will mix hareKrishnas with jews and jehovas withness.

The must withspread was teh "Pvblica religio" witch we still to day see the pattern in both politicians and clericals. Then there was the cult of the ancestors, every village had one or more shamans, every temple has at least a indovin (a guy who predict the future thanx to the sign of animals or by the blod of sacrificing animals) by lakes and caverns it was not rare to find oracles (also known as Sibillas...women who could see in the future) and Carnas (singing female shamns).

Then there was the foreign religions like the egyptians famous Isis, Osiris and Horus (witch many expert see it today in the cattolic madonna) , the Mithra solar religion (a proto monoteism) witch is also part of cattolicism, the philosofical mysteric religions, the celts and so on...

So as you people can see in the past age there was a wery large number of religions and belief many even opposite to each other and they were al labeled as pagans. So there is no PAGAN RELIGION but RELIGIONS!!!

We may find to day something similar in the Shintoism, and in someway in the Hinduism (Hinduism sadly are polluted with monoteistick element) but also moder cristian religion, there are many hellenic element in jesus and some religious expert identify Jesus in Dionisus and Apollonius (the pagan jesus).

But that is a wery complicated matter...witch we dont need to go inside it.

But remember there is no pagan religion, but religions, wicca is a moder religion (not ancient) and with lot of different ramifications...witch deserve a little more space and consideration rahter than many userious teen web sites around the internet.

hmm wicca...I know many people who is involved in wicca.

There is lot of BS (bu11sh1t) out there but also lot of serious thing.

But first at all what's paganism? well already the word pagan has nothing to do with any kind of religion.

The word pagan is what the italian word paesano (or paisan in dialect) is and it mean peasant (paese=village). That's because back in the roman empire must of the cristians were living in the cities and the followers of the ancient religion for the must in villages. The word pagan it's a insult by cristians to other groups...sad but true.

There never was a pagan religion, but lot of different religions, just like today. Only a ignorant after all will mix hareKrishnas with jews and jehovas withness.

The must withspread was teh "Pvblica religio" witch we still to day see the pattern in both politicians and clericals. Then there was the cult of the ancestors, every village had one or more shamans, every temple has at least a indovin (a guy who predict the future thanx to the sign of animals or by the blod of sacrificing animals) by lakes and caverns it was not rare to find oracles (also known as Sibillas...women who could see in the future) and Carnas (singing female shamns).

Then there was the foreign religions like the egyptians famous Isis, Osiris and Horus (witch many expert see it today in the cattolic madonna) , the Mithra solar religion (a proto monoteism) witch is also part of cattolicism, the philosofical mysteric religions, the celts and so on...

So as you people can see in the past age there was a wery large number of religions and belief many even opposite to each other and they were al labeled as pagans. So there is no PAGAN RELIGION but RELIGIONS!!!

We may find to day something similar in the Shintoism, and in someway in the Hinduism (Hinduism sadly are polluted with monoteistick element) but also moder cristian religion, there are many hellenic element in jesus and some religious expert identify Jesus in Dionisus and Apollonius (the pagan jesus).

But that is a wery complicated matter...witch we dont need to go inside it.

But remember there is no pagan religion, but religions, wicca is a moder religion (not ancient) and with lot of different ramifications...witch deserve a little more space and consideration rahter than many userious teen web sites around the internet.

760653[/snapback]

Thank you for your insight, Lux Felix, and I strongly agree with you. Pagan describes many, many religions, not just one religion, which is a common misconception.

Pagan being an insult is believable, but I don't really see it as an insult since it's about the only word we have besides than "Other." Heathen, on the other hand, seems extremely offensive, as well as Heretic for anyone involved in that.

• 1 month later...

From what I understand Druids are part of nature and everything about them is about nature and the trees. For me, it makes sense..it fits.It's what I have always been.

I have that book.... It is very interesting, and it is teaching me alot.

Paganism, Druids, The Craft are all faiths that require study. Not from one book or about one book, but from many disciplines; science, physics, metaphysics, ancient history, Myth, theology of all religions, and archaeology. It is not for the faint of heart. It is an experience religion. I have learned as much or more from talking to the trees as I have from books. When you embark on this Path you are in search of the true nature of the universe. Magic is just a small part of it. I only cast spells when people are in true need of help. I do not take them lightly.

I think Ashley; you fear what you don't understand. To say 'don't do it' closes one off to a part of life that is filled with wonder and mystery.

I have walked in the spirit world (or either world or alternate dimension) and found great joy and knowledge as well as things to fear. You can learn to protect yourself harm.

If you want to learn about Pagan religions in general I recommend "Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers, and Other Pagans in America Today" by Margot Adler.

I have that book... It is very interesting and it is teaching me alot.

MOM!!! *hugs the Mom*

HAIL, oh great Mother, By all the names of the Goddess. I bid thee welcome.

Oh sure... be all flowery and formal... phht... XD

druidism is a very specific pre-xian religion, currently under heavy revival. the original druids prob didn't survive the takeover by christians of the roman empire.

the term pagan, abopve, originated because xians were "soldiers of christ" and non-christians were paganus, civilian, which was definately an insult. heathen referred to the "heath" or woody hillside where worshippers of diana met until the 1400's. this became weird after the church decided that the hill people were worshipping satan. yes, the roman catholic church thus actually invented satanism. by the end of the 1500's, there were "satanic" monestaries and nunneries all over europe. in the 19th century, a man named charles leland lived with and got initiated by the streghe in Italy, disproving the myth that modern wicca had its in gardner. the gardnerian was a modern offshoot of a movement that was still around in the 1800's. any questions? p.m. me.

Oh sure... be all flowery and formal... phht... XD

Ouch, kitty cats have such sharp claws. *Darkwind puts a band aide on his finger*

HAIL, oh Great Silver Cat, Bast, Goddess of fertility, grace and beauty, I humbly beech your forgiveness.