Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Synchronicity/Coincidence/Happy Accidents

Loonboy

[blue]

Jung called them synchronicities, Fort called them the work of the cosmic joker and Walpole termed them serendipities. Basically what they were all referring to is the occurrence of coincidences which seem to have meaning.

A famous example is: the Daily Telegraph had the words overlord, mulberry, Utah & Neptune in its crossword in the month that led up to the D-Day landings - all of which were the main codewords for the operation.

Another: in 1898 Morgan Robertson published a book in which a ship called Titan and known as the safest vessel in the world hit an iceberg on its maiden voyage across the Atlantic. That's 14 years prior to the Titanic's famous disaster.

Most people have had some experience of this sort of coincidence, where an unusual word or thing is brought to your attention, and then reappears many times in a short space of time. Or when you look for something and cannot find it, then suddenly 'chance' upon it unexpectedly.

What do you all think? Are these events just coinicidences? Or are we being guided by unseen forces? Or is this the work of the subconcious mind? Telepathy?

Or has anyone got any examples/stories of these kinds of coincidences?[/blue]

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Loonboy

• SpaceyKC

• PurpleStuart

• Tommy

Loonboy!

That is great food for thought!  I cannot think of any specific incident right now, but I know there have been times when things have come together at the right time.  Mostly good things,  I'm glad to say!

Loonboy,

I have had something like that very often. I went donstairs and the I realized that I forgot my keys. I went back up to my room and saw that I had left the windown  open or the lights still on..

Odin Supreme

[blue]This is weird - since posting that thread, I've had half a dozen 'strange' coincidences. Like: looking up a chapter on the Turin shroud and finding a bit on the Knights Templar - then looking up a bit on the Ark of the Covenant and finding a bit on... guess what... the Knights Templar.... then talking on the phone with a friend who out of the blue started speaking about an old TV programme called 'The Saint'... the main character of which is called Simon Templar.....

:s4

It just get's weirder....

[/blue]

In Deepak Chopra's book The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success,  he explains how you can benifet  from coincidences and deja vu.  I'll have to read it again and post more info.

Mmmmmm  :se

A similiar occurance happened to me and a few friends 2 weeks ago today. Usually i don't use names of people, but in this case i will as it will get a trifle confusing if i don't  :s02 .

Two friends (Tony and Simon) and I returned to my house after going Bowling for a friends birthday (Seamus). There is very few sights that are more amusing than 30 or more drunk Goths in bowling shoes, but i digress... The three of us where going to mine to get ready to go clubbing and most of the others were going on to Seamus's house to continue the party there.

Seamus's house is a half hour walk from my house.

Tony, Simon and I had run out of alcohol *again* so Simon went to the off license to get some more. Although we were all quite drunk i assumed that he'd be able to find it as it is on the same street as my house, on the same side and only 2mins walk away. Even Simon, who doesn't know this area of london at all, could do that... It was such a short walk he didn't even take his coat with him.

Well, 45mins later Tony went out to search for him and returned empty handed. That was the last we heard of Simon until 18 hours later when i got a call from Seamus asking if Simon had left his coat here. Apparently Simon had just awoken on his floor and was about to go home and couldn't find it. After a fruitless search of the house he asked everybody else (the party was still going) and they asked him if he'd been anywhere else the night before.   At first he couldn't remember anything but eventually remembered a few things - Bowling - My house - then awaking at Seamus's house. With mine and other people's information we managed to piece together what he had done the night before:

upon leaving my house and being a tad more drunk than i had realised he did actually make it to the off license but upon exiting the off license, after buying the aforementioned booze, he set off in the wrong direction.

After 2 hours of wondering round london (not knowing it at all) he passed out in a random block of flats. It just happened that this block was the same block that Seamus lives in  and he had  passed out in a corridor 2 floors up above Seamus's flat! Then the next big coincedence - someone from the party just happened to wander 2 floors up and finding him unconcious, thinking he'd been at the party all night, dragged him 'back' to the party! There he stayed until he awoke hours later with everyone assuming he'd been with them all along!

PS,

That is a VERY LUCKY coincidence for your friend!!  I think he had a guardian angel watching out for him that night!  I think I have someone watching over me too-I make many 'wrong turns'! :s02

KC

Isn't there a saying(something about) 'ANGELS WATCH OVER FOOLS AND IDIOTS'   :s6

HI EVERYONE!

I'm posting here again,  cause a coincidence just happened to me!  After I left this section,  I went to the tv shows, etc. section,  to read the post on the movie, 'Mists of Avalon'.  It was started in July 2001,  by Jamie(I believe)and then not until January of this year,  was it commented on (by CelticWitch).  And the last comment was today.  Bear with me,  I can give too much detail in the telling!  So,  last night I was looking for a tape of 'The X-Files'  and came across the tape I had made of the 'MoA' movie.  Since I had misplaced it,  I have not seen it yet!!  I will be watching it tonight with added interest.  Anyway,  I thought that was a pretty profound coincidence!

[blue]I've heard that Angels watch over Drunks and Babies, which is also relevant to PurpleStuart's post....[/blue]

:sg

I think the full quote should be "Angels watch over Fools, idiots and drunks, but only with a morbid curiousity"

Well i would if i were an angel...

PS,

Yes,  curious as to why humans subject themselves to such ludicrous behavior! :s03

Well i reckon that being an Angel for several millenia is gonna drag a bit so for a change they probably head down to see what the daft humans are up to...

I mentioned before on the Mazehouse site that, as an electrician, I used to travel around a lot and the most unsettling coincidences for me were when I looked at signposts of unknown places and I would frequently hear a radio request for someone from one of the places named on the signpost. It used to really freak me out.  :s03

[blue]

And now it's getting frighteningly weird: yesterday I was chatting online with a friend from Sheffield, Yorkshire who happened to mention (of all things) the Krankies (Uk 'comedy' couple on tv in the early 80's - for our non Uk members). Last night on Graham Norton there was a pic of Jeanette Krankie with Matthew Kelly and today a friend said 'fandabeedooozieee' (their catchphrase) to me.... I'm starting to get very afraid.... :s07

What's weird is that I've never even thought of the Krankies for nearly 10 years.....

Do you think that we prompt synchronicities by just the thought of them? Odd.

[/blue] :s9

What I would like to know is, what exactly is a happy accident? The only ones I've been in have either been physically painful :'( or financially debilitating :s04, but they certainly didn't make me happy.  :-/  

But I digress....... :s1

Here's a thought. Is it possible that the occurrance of coincidences and synchronicity is on the increase because of easier and more convienient forms of communication than ever before? Cell phones, computers, email, a more mobile population, etc?

Magikman  :sf

Magikman,

I agree with you about accidents not being happy-except when you bump into someone you would like to get to know,  or a former friend who owes you money! :s2

And the incidents probably are increasing because of technology,  but I always hoped it was because we are evolving to a higher intelligence,  more psychic*

why does this word suddenly look like

si  chic(like fashionable)? What's happening?   I must be evolving!! :s01

HELP!!

[blue]

Firstly a happy accident is really only something that happens by chance and was unexpected but which has beneficial consequences - like spilling ketchup on your shirt and having to change it only to find that you look better in the second shirt....

And I think that maybe you both are right --> maybe we are being exposed to more streams of information: mobile phones, more TV channels, more people, more radio stations, more interactivity on computers etc. The more info that comes our way means we are likelier to encounter what was once unusual more often. Good points one and all.

I'm still in therapy about the Krankies, though.        image

[/blue]

Loonboy,

I think I may be able to shed some light on the mystery of the Krankies.  :s2

For the last couple of nights there has been an advert on BBC 1 advertising "The story of the Krankies", and the Fandabedoozie song is being played in the background. Maybe that's where your friends are hearing about it from.  ;D

Still a bit of a coincidence that Graham Norton produced a picture with Jeanette Krankie in it though. Could this be a post Millennium Krankie comeback ?  :s4

[blue]

Thank you for that info on the BBC1 advert. It certainly put my fevered mind at ease...  It would explain a lot in that particular instance. We should always look to the most obvious first.

However, this additional thought about a comeback for them has put the fear of God in me.

:s9

[/blue]

Now this is one of my Fav subjects..... simply because I believe that we all unconciously or unknowingly do things every day because of coincidences all around us. I think the main reason why anyone here lately might think that they are more often happening right now is simply due to the awareness factor being increased simply again due to this topic!  :su  

As I`ve mentioned before " Celestine Prophecy" is a great book for letting one understand how sincronicity and serendipity are a major factor of all our lives everyday. We just aren`t always aware. Most of us are so busy caught up in every day behavior, Get up, work, come home, eat, bed...(along those lines for majority) and then all over again, that we tend to forget to stop and pay attention to the coincidences or their meanings. I personnally have had MANY moments like that both good and bad where I`ve stopped and payed close attention to what was going on around me and how it would affect other aspects of my life. Thats all it really is in reality.

I do urge anyone more intrested in this topic to once again read James Redfeild`s Book The Celestine Prophecy. He explains very well how all coincidences can affect ones life if we are aware of when and why they happen when they do!

P.S sorry I missed the Chat again.

Many things going on lately.... Strep Throat all last week.

My Nan past away last weekend as well,

Today is my Birthday!!! Woo Hoo   23 :sk

and next wedensday I'm off to Cancun to see the temples and yes.... take lots of pics for you all!!!

Mystify,

So sorry to hear about your nan's passing.  

Hope you're well recovered from your illness - But,  HEY,  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  :se

I also hope you have a safe and happy trip!  Sounds exciting!  :st

KC