Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Necronomicon: Fact or Fiction?

Tacos_Arent_Scary

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on The Necronomicon. It's a great story. Some people think it's just that, A story. But there is a theory being tossed around in certain circles that the Necronomicon or "Book of Laws of the Dead" may be real and very dangerous. My friend Nate and I have tried to delve deep into the theory and have thus far come up with only one source of possibly useful information. I will post the link below. I would just like to know what people thought of this cryptic tale shrouded in lore. I have found that there have been records of diffent "Books of the Dead" in various other cultures. There is a fairly detailed site I have found that appears to be cannon but you really never know. Any feedback is welcomed. I thank you

-Matt

This is the site that I found...I think it has some very interesting tidbits

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SilverCougar

• JayRob303

• Tacos_Arent_Scary

• Kismit

I think it is just a story. devil.gif

and,

Not a very good one at that.

Witchcraft and the Occult are for people who dont believe in themselves, so they look for something to make them unique. Believing in the book of the dead shares this same fate.

You will probably find many on this site that will disagree with me, but then again, you did ask for opinions.......

dear gods...

it's a work of fiction made up by a guy for his stories of elder gods.

*shakes her head*

dear gods...

it's a work of fiction made up by a guy for his stories of elder gods.

*shakes her head*

747642[/snapback]

I myself believe is is just a story...but some of my friend Nate assures me that it is real...he sent me the link...I just wanted to hear what people thought about it...Have a nice day

I think it is just a story.  devil.gif

and,

Not a very good one at that.

Witchcraft and the Occult are for people who dont believe in themselves, so they look for something to make them unique. Believing in the book of the dead shares this same fate.

You will probably find many on this site that will disagree with me, but then again, you did ask for opinions.......

747608[/snapback]

It's just a theory...Thanks for the feedback

747608[/snapback]

Wow.. you could not be further then the truth then you are right now with that one.

Sure some of the prepubesent kiddos out there are... *grits teeth* But the older folk out there who have been involved with witchcraft and other pagan religions for decaides will tell you differently.

In other words.. Who the hell do we have to impress by being "unique". No one. it's personal reasons.

Witchcraft and the Occult are for people who dont believe in themselves
The same could be said for any religion, particularly Christianity. God loves those who fall, and ask for help in the name of Jesus and those who are at their worst and most desperate, does he not?

For those who actually do know a little about the pagan ways of life, and don't just stereotype it as hysterical teenage rot, (which is quite offensive even if it is just an opinion), those people who do know and have studied Pagan ways know, that you cannot take it on unless you do believe in yourself. If you are not a strong willed person, then you would crumble from your belief within days, so many people want to tell you how wrong and silly you are. rolleyes.gif

Please atleast have the decency to look into what the pagan religion is before you make assumptions against it.

It is obviously fictional...however, could the concept of this book be based on an actual pagan 'bible', or was it totally created in the mind of the author?

Could he have heard about an actual item, and them twisted it to suite his needs?

I have some of the Necronomicon saved on my PC as a text file, it has a bunch of supposed English-Sumerian translation and warns about dangerous and dark magic. I doubt any of it is true, but by what I've seen Lovecraft is a brilliant writer.

For example, "Maskim Xul" is supposed to mean "Evil Fiend"

There are probably about 50 more words.

It is obviously fictional...however, could the concept of this book be based on an actual pagan 'bible', or was it totally created in the mind of the author?

Could he have heard about an actual item, and them twisted it to suite his needs?

A pagan bible would be about impossible since Pagan describes any non-christian, non-jewish, or non-muslim religion, especially polytheistic religions. So a Pagan bible would be hundreds of religions combined.

Edited by The Raven

A pagan bible would be about impossible since Pagan describes any non-christian, non-jewish, or non-muslim religion, especially polytheistic religions. So a Pagan bible would be hundreds of religions combined.

For something to be that old, it would have to be combination of all religions. Perhaps the Book of Enoch plays into this theory. original.gif

*gets that twitch back into her eye* Must.. not...

*gets that twitch back into her eye* Must.. not...

749312[/snapback]

awww....come on SilverCougar...open your mind to the possibilities...

If he had heard of the Book of Enoch, then Lovecraft could have taken the idea and made it to fit his needs. It's a more viable theory that he had heard of it, and thats where he got the idea for the Necrinomicon.

mind is open... and Enoch isn't the trigger. I could care less about Enoch.. that's to the Enoch patrol.. it's a dead horse.

mind is open... and Enoch isn't the trigger. I could care less about Enoch.. that's to the Enoch patrol.. it's a dead horse.

749353[/snapback]

laugh.gif

I think that people need constant reassurance that they have a purpose therefor religions were created in deifferent cultures to not only serve as a guideline for living "right", but its also a way to reassure people that good will happen when you do good. I myself am an athiest, but I still find the sorta psychology and mythos around it...I choose not to believe in god purely because there is no cannon evidence around it... There is a certain theory that I could find plausible... God itself is not a diety but a certain soundwave...Im sure anyone who watches the show South Park has heard of the brown noise, where if someone plays it everyone who hears it will crap their pants...It works on the principle that anything can happen if a certain frequentcy sound wave is directed at it i.e. Water into wine, the ressurection, and alot of the weird stuff in the bible...Mind you this is just a theory but It seems plausible to me at least...Tell me what you think

Brown noise w00t.gif

I know a little about the book of the dead, but not enough to comment on it, I always thought it was from The Evil dead movies which came from the Lovecraft fantasies.

All the best

Faeden

I read the Tibetan Book of the Dead when I was 14. It was an interesting cultural read, that's about it.

Most of the books of the dead in other cultures (such as the ancient egyptian and buddhist books) relate to what comes after life, whereas the the necronomicon relates to fictional elder gods and their powerful evil servants.

Lovecraft wrote letters where he says flat-out that the Necronomicon, along with the whole mythos that he uses in his stories, are completely fictional.

Cthulhu F'thagan!

Lovecraft was a screwed up genius. Almost as much as Robert E. Howard. Maybe more....

And my respect for him as a writer is huge.

I read a 500 page book about him by L. Sprague DeCamp. For fun.

The Necronomicon is a combination of two words: Necro for dead of course, and Astromicon, either a astronomy magazine he worked on, or published himself I forget which.

Abdul Al'Hazred was his pretend name when he was going through a phase in childhood where he was obsessed with Medieval Muslim tales like Alladin and Sinbad. It followed his phase where he was obsessed with Greek Mythology and claimed to have seen fauns and dryads and nymphs in the forest.

His cousin made up the name. Hazred was the last name of some of his relatives.

Tacos, your friend Nate is just plain wrong. Even that link he gave you says Lovecraft made it up. The parts that talk about it through the ages and being in museums and whatnot, are still within the confines of fiction. Example: Real Life John Dee had a copy, but not really. It was the fictional idea of Lovecraft's friend.

Lovecraft had a very big circle of friends and contacts. His Cthulhu Mythos ideas were used in other people's works, so they became kind of an established thing. Then Sam Raimi made it popular with the Evil Dead movies.

There is actually a book on Amazon called The Necronomicon, but it is nothing more than a half-assed amateur spellbook thing, probably written for novelty purposes only.

Oddly enough, my college library had a copy of it. But it was reported stolen. I really wanted to see it, to see just what it really was.

Edited by Occam