Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Haunted painting

MuthaGoose

So, I'm not sure where to put this one, and I'm sorry if its in the wrong place or has been done before, but........

what do you guys think about the old haunted e-bay painting?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Simbi Laveau

• Sakari

• Eldorado

• Jokers-Harlequin

So, I'm not sure where to put this one, and I'm sorry if its in the wrong place or has been done before, but........

what do you guys think about the old haunted e-bay painting?

749823[/snapback]

Can you put a link please. I never heard a story about a haunted painting.

Maybe people said that to make more money. How can a painting get haunted? Come on

I think I've heard about this before.

I'll try to get a link.

Heres the article:

By Rowena Gilbert - Castle of Spirits.com - COSPER Ghosthunters

In February, 2000 the sudden appearance of a rather strange painting with the accompanying title of "Haunted Painting" made it's debut on Ebay.com. Of course a title like this is going to attract attention and it's still discussed to this day whether the painting is genuinely haunted or not. Even stranger is the reactions that the general public had when viewing the photos of the painting.

The artist is Bill Stoneham, the painting title is "Hands Resist Him".

You can visit his website at Stoneham Studios.

Bill tells of how he painted Hands Resist Him in 1972, the boy in the picture being himself, the hands being other lives, the windows/door being a thin veil between waking and dreaming with the small doll like girl being the guide through.

Bill does not know how his painting ended up abandoned as described by the Ebay.com seller, but he does know a gallery owner where the painting was originally displayed and sold at, and a Los Angeles Times critic, who reviewed the show, were both dead within one year of the painting being shown.

THE ORIGINAL EBAY TEXT THAT ACCOMPANIED THE PAINTING

WHEN WE RECEIVED THIS PAINTING, WE THOUGHT IT WAS REALLY GOOD ART. A " PICKER " HAD FOUND IT ABANDONED BEHIND AN OLD BREWERY. AT THE TIME WE WONDERED A LITTLE WHY A SEEMINGLY PERFECTLY FINE PAINTING WOULD BE DISCARDED LIKE THAT. ( TODAY WE DON'T !!! ) ONE MORNING OUR 4 AND 1/2 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER CLAIMED, THAT THE CHILDREN IN THE PICTURE WERE FIGHTING, AND COMING INTO THE ROOM DURING THE NIGHT. NOW, I DON'T BELIEVE IN UFOS OR ELVIS BEING ALIVE, BUT MY HUSBAND WAS ALARMED. TO MY AMUSEMENT HE SET UP A MOTION TRIGGERED CAMERA FOR THE NIGHTS. AFTER THREE NIGHTS THERE WERE PICTURES.THE LAST TWO PICTURES SHOWN ARE FROM THAT 'STAKEOUT'. AFTER SEEING THE BOY SEEMINGLY EXITING THE PAINTING UNDER THREAT, WE DECIDED, THE PAINTING HAS TO GO.PLEASE JUDGE FOR YOURSELF. --- BEFORE YOU DO, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING WARNING AND DISCLAIMER. ----WARNING: DO NOT BID ON THIS PAINTING IF YOU ARE SUSCEPTIBLE TO STRESS RELATED DISEASE, FAINT OF HEART OR ARE UNFAMILIAR WITH SUPERNATURAL EVENTS. BY BIDDING ON THIS PAINTING, YOU AGREE TO RELEASE THE OWNERS OF ALL LIABILITY IN RELATION TO THE SALE OR ANY EVENTS HAPPENING AFTER THE SALE, THAT MIGHT BE CONTRIBUTED TO THIS PAINTING. THIS PAINTING MAY OR MAY NOT POSESS SUPERNATURAL POWERS, THAT COULD IMPACT OR CHANGE YOUR LIFE. HOWEVER, BY BIDDING YOU AGREE TO EXCLUSIVELY BID ON THE VALUE OF THE ARTWORK, WITH DISREGARD TO THE LAST TWO PHOTOS FEATURED IN THIS AUCTION, AND HOLD THE OWNERS HARMLESS IN REGARD TO THEM AND THEIR IMPACT, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED.------------ NOW THAT WE GOT THIS OUT OF THE WAY, ONE QUESTION TO YOU EBAYERS. WE WANT OUR HOUSE TO BE BLESSED AFTER THE PAINTING IS GONE, DOES ANYBODY KNOW, WHO IS QUALIFIED TO DO THAT? THE SIZE OF THE PAINTING IS 24 BY 36 INCHES, SO IT IS RATHER LARGE. AS I HAVE HAD SEVERAL QUESTIONS, HERE THE FOLLOWING ANSWERS. THERE WAS NO ODOR LEFT BEHIND IN THE ROOM. THERE WERE NO VOICES, OR THE SMELL OF GUNPOWDER, NO FOODPRINTS OR STRANGE FLUIDS ON THE WALL. TO DETER QUESTIONS IN THIS DIRECTION, THERE ARE NO GHOSTS IN THIS WORLD , NO SUPERNATURAL POWERS, THIS IS JUST A PAINTING, AND MOST THESE THINGS HAVE AN EXPLANATION, IN THIS CASE PROBABLY A FLUKE LIGHT EFFECT. I ENCOURAGE YOU TO BID ON THE ARTWORK, AND CONSIDER THE LAST TWO PHOTOGRAPHS AS PURE ENTERTAINMENT, AND PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THEM INTO CONSIDERATION, WHEN BIDDING. AS WE THINK IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO BLESS ANY HOUSE, WE STILL WELCOME INPUT INTO THAT PROCEDURE.

This auction is nearing the end. I want to thank the more than 13000 people that took the time to look at this image on Ebay. I appreciate the more than 30 suggestions, that I received regarding blessing the house, exorcising and cleansing. 7 e-mails reported strange or irregular events taking place, when viewing this image. And I will relay two suggestions made by the senders. First not to use this image as the background on the screen, and second not to display this image around juveniles or children. Last not least, thanks for appreciating the art as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reactions to viewing the painting are varied and strange, people report of feeling ill and passing out, having strange visitors in the night, children crying in horror when seeing the pictures and some people are even too afraid to look at the pictures.

The strange light on the painting as seen in the pictures displayed on Ebay.com. could have been achieved by various camera tricks or just by shining a red light on the painting. Very simply done. NO the painting is not genuinely haunted.

Hands Resist Him eventually sold for $1,025.00 - first bid was $199.00 - it had a total of 30 bids. I would imagine with the popularity of this painting that it would be worth a lot more now, not merely for its value as a painting but for its value as the now famous "Haunted Ebay Painting".

Information from Stoneham Studios.com

BELOW ARE THE PHOTOS OF THE BILL STONEHAM "HANDS RESIST HIM" PAINTING AS THEY APPEARED ON EBAY.COM

Click each image for a larger view.

Source:

I've seen this painting in a flash game. I'll add the link to that as well

Heres the link for the game: Found Lost

post-18303-1122159995.jpg

post-18303-1122160015_thumb.jpg

post-18303-1122160040_thumb.jpg

post-18303-1122160070.jpg

post-18303-1122160086.jpg

post-18303-1122160104.jpg

post-18303-1122160126.jpg

post-18303-1122160165.jpg

• 5 years later...

I find it creepy that someone would want to make a paining like this anyway.

• 1 year later...

I find it creepy that someone would want to make a paining like this anyway.

Agreed!

- T

There are bunches of haunted dolls on eBay.Other things too .

I actually have a tapestry that allegedly dates back to the late 1800s,and it was used in a reading/seance room of a witches home .

It came from an estate liquidation.A bunch of her items were alleged to have paranormal activity reported.

I liked it in general.It depicts a Victorian party of sorts,with 4men and a woman,all in dress of the time period.I also needed to hang something in a spot in my living room anyway.

The story went ,when this woman did readings,the figures in the picture,"came to life",and moved within the picture,and interacted with other people in the actual reading room.

It was cheap,and I liked it,but they have yet to move or speak to me.

Edited by missymoo999

I never really had a painting come to life but i known dolls and stuff can be. I use to own one when i was younger, and it scared the crap out of me. I believe that certain things can be manipulated from things unknown like dolls to interact with this world. But just my opinion.

I never really had a painting come to life but i known dolls and stuff can be. I use to own one when i was younger, and it scared the crap out of me. I believe that certain things can be manipulated from things unknown like dolls to interact with this world. But just my opinion.

That's a rather delusional opinion, if I do say so myself. The reason why I say that is because we simply have no evidence to suggest that ghosts truly exist.

No we don't have proof, but you can't explain a lot of things with science, just my opinion. Be entitled to your own opinion. I know what i see to be true. sorry if you disagree with me.

No we don't have proof, but you can't explain a lot of things with science, just my opinion. Be entitled to your own opinion. I know what i see to be true. sorry if you disagree with me.

Paranoid schizophrenics believe what they see to be true, as well. What separates their beliefs from yours?

" Haunted item on ebay "

Doesn't that explain enough?

It is hard for me to grasp that people actually believe these things, and many do.People buy them.......

I think it should be illegal myself.

There was a attempt at a scam here with a haunted item, luckily the OP trusted me thinking I would be dis-honest, and he was reported, and found out.

I was offered up to $5000.00 to help with the scam, he had all ready had offers of $1,000.00, and he figured with a story on a popular paranormal site, with a resident skeptic seeing it to be true ( sent to me in mail, etc. ) the price would go up....

There were a lot of members here that believed him, and actually were mad at me for being so " harsh " with him in the topic.....

It bothers me to see any type of lying and fraud, especially using the " paranormal " community as prey.......It is a easier target un-fortunatley, and is one of the reasons I try to help show facts in topics here, and in the real life world.

If something is claimed to be haunted / paranormal, please consider the reality of this and research, research, research......If there is a price tag on it, I 100% guarantee it is a scam.

cough, cough....Psychics also

Edited by Sakari

" Haunted item on ebay "

Doesn't that explain enough?

It is hard for me to grasp that people actually believe these things, and many do.People buy them.......

I think it should be illegal myself.

There was a attempt at a scam here with a haunted item, luckily the OP trusted me thinking I would be dis-honest, and he was reported, and found out.

I was offered up to $5000.00 to help with the scam, he had all ready had offers of $1,000.00, and he figured with a story on a popular paranormal site, with a resident skeptic seeing it to be true ( sent to me in mail, etc. ) the price would go up....

There were a lot of members here that believed him, and actually were mad at me for being so " harsh " with him in the topic.....

It bothers me to see any type of lying and fraud, especially using the " paranormal " community as prey.......It is a easier target un-fortunatley, and is one of the reasons I try to help show facts in topics here, and in the real life world.

If something is claimed to be haunted / paranormal, please consider the reality of this and research, research, research......If there is a price tag on it, I 100% guarantee it is a scam.

cough, cough....Psychics also

I actually have some "haunted" items.

I get mine via private sales thru collectors of such.

Estate liquidations down in New Orleans ,and so forth.

A have a couple of items that have done some very funky things

A few were pricey, but nothing up near 5000$,or even 3000$.

I bought some for their histories,some because they were interesting,and some because they were just kind of cool.

None we dolls .

At least 2 are kind of scary,and I was afraid to have one in the house at first,because of its alleged history.

They're the ones that occasionally,"do" things.

I also have a couple of rings that do some interesting stuff.

These things exisit,but they are far more rare than haunted items on eBay.

Buyer beware .

Edited by missymoo999

Alienated Being

Are you saying im crazy? Cuz i do believe this post is about things being haunted, so why are you here if you don't think its possible?

Oh, and don't worry if i was crazy i would go after you first :)

I actually have some "haunted" items.

I get mine via private sales thru collectors of such.

Estate liquidations down in New Orleans ,and so forth.

A have a couple of items that have done some very funky things

A few were pricey, but nothing up near 5000$,or even 3000$.

I bought some for their histories,some because they were interesting,and some because they were just kind of cool.

None we dolls .

At least 2 are kind of scary,and I was afraid to have one in the house at first,because of its alleged history.

They're the ones that occasionally,"do" things.

I also have a couple of rings that do some interesting stuff.

These things exisit,but they are far more rare than haunted items on eBay.

Buyer beware .

Take no offense on this......

You are stating things that I have seen the " sellers " claim myself.........

Maybe you are just justifying to yourself that they are Haunted and you did not waste your money, because you did if the price was set for that.

If I buy say a vacuum cleaner, and it is guaranteed to pick up pet hair......It better, and it better be able to show me this without a shadow of a doubt before I purchase it.Or, I better have it in writing my money will be refunded if not working as advertised.

Sorry, I spent quite a while looking into quite a few " haunted " items on ebay, and other sites after the fiasco here http://www.unexplain...pic=189044&st=0

Every one of them are scams.

You are being scammed, or you are selling them.

Claiming your items are haunted, sorry man, " show me it picks up pet hair ".........I do not believe it at all, and I can say it is not true.

Not5 one even close to authenticated/ proven " haunted " item of any kind anywhere........Frauds and scams, yes, verified ones, numerous.

If you are going to make claims like that here, be careful.....Someone might ask you to back those claims up :)

Haunted Items are a scam, a way to make money on junk, and the victims are just ignorant.......Sharks feeding on a bait ball......Pull out of that ball and go do some research :tu:

As for your post, I think it actually helps out these fraudsters a bit, and that is sad. ( only to people not looking into this beyond paranormal sites )

I actually wish people would write Ebay and let them know they should not be selling crap like this.....

Edited by Sakari

Take no offense on this......

You are stating things that I have seen the " sellers " claim myself.........

Maybe you are just justifying to yourself that they are Haunted and you did not waste your money, because you did if the price was set for that.

If I buy say a vacuum cleaner, and it is guaranteed to pick up pet hair......It better, and it better be able to show me this without a shadow of a doubt before I purchase it.Or, I better have it in writing my money will be refunded if not working as advertised.

Sorry, I spent quite a while looking into quite a few " haunted " items on ebay, and other sites after the fiasco here http://www.unexplain...pic=189044&st=0

No,I have contacts via certain auction houses,and friends down in new Orleans,who know the estate liquidators.

When it happens,we all get involved,because the deceased items are up for grabs,and most have been used in magical rituals.

I am a voodoo practitioner ...hello.

Most of my stuff belonged to voodoo people, that have passed on.

I dont buy off eBay .

I have items from an old Bon temple in Tibet.

Have a clue before you insult .

And like I said,a few have done some weird stuff,in front of me.

Im not going by any sellers description.

One item I have was used around dead bodies,and one is a real Tibetan kapala.

900 years old.

I've had it verified .

So yah,it was a bit scary at first . I kept expecting it to do something.

Your insinuations and insults are without cause .

Edited by missymoo999

No,I have contacts via certain auction houses,and friends down in new Orleans,who know the estate liquidators.

When it happens,we all get involved,because the deceased items are up for grabs,and most have been used in magical rituals.

I am a voodoo practitioner ...hello.

Most of my stuff belonged to voodoo people, that have passed on.

I dont buy off eBay .

I have items from an old Bon temple in Tibet.

Have a clue before you insult .

And like I said,a few have done some weird stuff,in front of me.

Im not going by any sellers description.

One item I have was used around dead bodies,and one is a real Tibetan kapala.

900 years old.

I've had it verified .

So yah,it was a bit scary at first . I kept expecting it to do something.

Your insinuations and insults are without cause .

I was and am not insulting you, or throwing any insinuations without cause.....Or with it for that matter.

I was just replying on how I feel about " haunted items ", especially on ebay, or being sold labeled such.

If you take offense to how I feel about that, that is your issue.It was nothing against you personally.

I think it is great that you have a hobby, and that you enjoy it, nothing wrong with that at all.

Again, the way I feel about any certain topic is not necessarily the way I feel about a individual.If it was, I would state that, not sugar coat it.

I was and am not insulting you, or throwing any insinuations without cause.....Or with it for that matter.

I was just replying on how I feel about " haunted items ", especially on ebay, or being sold labeled such.

If you take offense to how I feel about that, that is your issue.It was nothing against you personally.

I think it is great that you have a hobby, and that you enjoy it, nothing wrong with that at all.

Again, the way I feel about any certain topic is not necessarily the way I feel about a individual.If it was, I would state that, not sugar coat it.

I got the feeling you were saying I was selling something. Wanna buy a bridge in Brooklyn ? Cheap .

Please if i could sell something I wouldn't be so poor all the time. I treat people for free half the time.

Lol

I got the feeling you were saying I was selling something. Wanna buy a bridge in Brooklyn ? Cheap .

Please if i could sell something I wouldn't be so poor all the time. I treat people for free half the time.

Lol

Nope, I was not saying you were selling something......:no:

Nope, I was not saying you were selling something......:no:

So,wanna buy a bridge,its in NYC,Brooklyn,cheap .

:lol:

So,wanna buy a bridge,its in NYC,Brooklyn,cheap .

:lol:

Can you deliver on Sunday?

:geek:

Scotland ?

I can have it sent via the PE (Philadelphia Experiment) machine,post hast.

Can you PayPal me 3 haunted dolls,and a cursed demonic mirror, in advance please.

I run one of those cursed items curio shoppes.