Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
__Kratos__

'All white' jury remark prompts questions

__Kratos__

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- A Cook County judge who said in recent months that she would not seat all-white juries said she regretted being blunt, but believed attorneys did not have good reasons for failing to choose black jurors, according to a published report.

Circuit Judge Evelyn Clay, who is black, made the remarks while meeting with attorneys in chambers, the Chicago Tribune reported in Monday's editions after reviewing court transcripts.

"Folks, you all know I have a rule. I don't seat all white jurors," Clay said as jurors were being selected for a murder trial last month.

Clay said her remarks were "indelicately stated" but she believed qualified blacks were being left off juries.

"I try to preside over jury trials in a fair and impartial way -- that is always my goal," Clay said.

Chief Criminal Court Judge Paul Biebel Jr. has said he's been informed about Clay's comments.

Illinois Judicial Inquiry Board executive director Kathy Twine said she could neither confirm nor deny that Clay's comments were being reviewed by the board.

Illinois law does not require that every jury must include members of a certain race.

Source

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats bull, and she knows it! I think she is just being racist towards white people because she is disgruntled in some way. I don't care if she is black and wants to see more of her own skin color on the juries... angry.gif

Monkyburd

hmmmmmm..... interesting. unsure.gif

Mekorig

Diversity makes the imparciality of jurors more likely by adding diferent wievs to the jurors. A single race juror can make racial stereotypes more likely in a trial. (be the acussed white, black or any other race).

AztecInca

^True, if only she had worded her statement like that, then there would really be no problem at all!

Rhomphaia

I wonder if she has a problem with all black jurys...prolly not.

Mekorig

An all black jury would be as bad has a all white jury. The ideal jury is one made from diferen etnics, religitions and ages.

Mr Ed

You need different races and ethnic backgrounds to come up with a balanced jury. If everyone has the same background that the jury would be bias.

Iilaa'mpuul'xem

The sheer suggestion of this is racist against Whites. Are they are saying that a White jury have more of a chance of sending a person down if they are Black.

A Black jury would send the same individual down if they were found giulty of the crime also regardless to colour.