Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

jefferson davis hospital HOUSTON TX

lordnikon446

I was born at that Hospital. I have never heard stories of it being haunted. I did not even know that it was built in 1859. This is really interesting stuff. Hmmmmm

• 3 months later...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lordnikon446

• NME_locus

• CelticVixxen

• kurios

Me and my friends had so much fun back when the place was abandoned. We wnt there almost every weekend! Had to dodge the cops though. I never saw anything out of the ordinary, but my friends said they did. I'd break away from the group and go around by myself, nothing ever happened. Me and my girlfriend were surprised when we saw the place renovated to what it is now.

• 2 weeks later...

I currently reside in the Jefferson Davis Hospital. The building is loud. The new pipes are exterior from the structure of the building, so it's pretty noisy in the lofts. I live in the basement where the paranormal activity is the most highest (so I have heard) . My encounters of the paranormal consists of objects dropping on the floors,especially the sound of a coin hitting the concrete in other room in the apartment. Few nights ago, I was painting and I felt a presence behind me. An hour later my girlfriend witnessed a shadow floating across the studio into the wall. I smugged the apartment last weekend to get rid of any negative energy in my space. I think I aggravated the entity and all night it keep me up with someone walking in the kitchen and hearing footsteps of a woman in heels. Two days ago there was a phantom knock on the door and no one was there.

when I was first moved in i took pictures of the apartment to e-mail to my mother and in one of the photos, there is an orb with a smiling face on it. It was pretty comical. It has ran through my mind to a paranormal investigation in my living quarters, but I have to respect the spirits that I live with, because they been pretty cool with me and I feel very comfortable there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I GAVE BIRTH TO MY OLDEST DAUGHTER IN THIS HOSPITAL, IT WAS A VERY CREEPY PLACE THEN TOO.

I think there may have been more than one Jeff Davis Hospital. I worked in the one on Allen Parkway in the mid 1980's and had heard that it had been torn down. Looking at the pictures here it isn't the building that I worked at. So those who think that they were born here or had babies here I think you're probably thinking of the hospital that I worked at and not the one that's being discussed here.

There were 2 Jeff Davis Hospitals in Houston......the one being discussed here is on Elder St. and was in use from 1924-1938.......................

ive been doing alot of research on this topic and would like to head down there one night. ive gotten many pics so far and there quite done,IS this place gonna be reopened? ive heard some storys and read em and sound creepy. i drove downtown many times and allways have seen that smoke stack from the building and never paid any attention to it till i started hearing more about it from mike and did more resaerch and getting more into what he likes, its pretty cool. i put down a few pics found, id like to go to the site and get my pics for myself

cool pics! looks creepy!

It is great that people can live there with very little activity.

I think there may have been more than one Jeff Davis Hospital. I worked in the one on Allen Parkway in the mid 1980's and had heard that it had been torn down. Looking at the pictures here it isn't the building that I worked at. So those who think that they were born here or had babies here I think you're probably thinking of the hospital that I worked at and not the one that's being discussed here.

Mattress Mac had that thing blown up back in '99, in a money-induced orgy of excess.

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old topic but I was doing a search for Jefferson Davis hospital and found a lot of crazy things going on.

I was born in that hospital in July 1981. I moved to NY in 1987...

I was doing a search in hope to get in touch with the hospital to see if my records are still there... The info that I gathered from other sites was that later on in 81 the hospital was closed bc it was haunted... This is nuts!!!! This may explain the wierd stuff in my life!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

hey i was born in jefferson davis hospital i didnt know my hospital was abanded and haunted its interesting please let me know more about this hospital as i am very interested in it

Edited by lilkeezy

• 4 months later...

short info on it

Houston - Jefferson Davis hospital - the hospital has spirits such as nurses, doctors, and patients that still roam its halls. Many have gone into this establishment and have had their own personal experiences such as being watched, seeing shadows, and smelling sterilization solutions in certain spots. The spirits are restless and have been agitated from all of the visitors they've been receiving. It was built upon a site of about 3,000 graves of civil war and yellow fever victims, from when it was a cemetery in the 1800's. It is now patrolled fairly heavily by the local fire department, which is right next door. Explores/ghost hunters suggest that it not be visited unless you are with a fairly large group that can respect their domain. - !!Warning!! As with any abandoned building, they may be structurally unsound or you can find yourself being robbed as these kids did or much worse. abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/80103_local_teenscare.html - April 2005 Update: The building is currently getting renovated.

Lordnikon,

The smoke stack is more likely an old crematory left behind when the hospital was built over the grave yard.

All the informattion looks very interesting, well worth a drive to visit, if in the area. Glad the President of the Confederacy has something interesting named after him as he really wasn't as a man. Comment based on my extensive readings of Civil War important people.

Edited by Graveyard Hound

I know this is an old topic but I was doing a search for Jefferson Davis hospital and found a lot of crazy things going on.

I was born in that hospital in July 1981. I moved to NY in 1987...

I was doing a search in hope to get in touch with the hospital to see if my records are still there... The info that I gathered from other sites was that later on in 81 the hospital was closed bc it was haunted... This is nuts!!!! This may explain the wierd stuff in my life!

There were 2 Jeff Davis Hospitals in Houston......the one being discussed here is on Elder St. and was in use from 1924-1938.......................

hey i was born in jefferson davis hospital i didnt know my hospital was abanded and haunted its interesting please let me know more about this hospital as i am very interested in it

• 1 year later...

So what happened to this place.. has anyone visited lately...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It is now Elder Street Artist Lofts - upscale apartments for rent,

I was checking it out for an art studio, but when I heard that it was built on a 2 graveyard sites, I started wondering if it was actually in the area on the lot or directly on top and if it would be haunted as a result. Sounds like it was and may possibly still be. They had not properly named and accounted for many of the graves and multiple burials from the 1820s-1840s that are estimated from 3-5000 mainly from a yellow fever epidemic. Confederate soldiers were also buried there and half now are under the nearby yard and the firestation next door. Some gravestone markers were made as they had discovered them in construction of the firestation for 32 of the remains and others were moved to University of Houston and placed with a marker on a protected site.

There is often confusion as to some of the new generation that say they were born there. But they moved and built a new Jefferson Davis Hospital where most of the 80's - 90's kids were born, later it was demolished.

I grew up here and always heard stories of people going down to the old one to find ghosts but never went.

Yeah I heard the one i was born in was demolished and the other well never saw it but sounds cool.

Edited by Ghostbuster4hire

• 5 months later...

There is a whole lot more to the story than what it commonly known. A lot more people died and were laid to rest on that land than what was indicated. The Hospital itself was built on the south-eastern corner of the cemetery. There are sections to of the cemetery original layout that are accessable to anyone, just to stay too long. HPD is not to fond of anyone loittering. In recent years a few remains were reburied in another cemetery but that is only but a tiny fraction of bodies buried. I'm missing the hospital blue prints. I've researched everything on W. A. Dowdy but I cant find any blue prints. Also, if anyone can direct me to find the building permit to for the Hospital that would be awesome. The use of the cemetery land was protected by a court order but they were still able to build it years later. Any information would be greatly appreciate it.