Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vandals desecrate British WWI graves in France

Blackleaf

LILLE, France, Aug 2 (AFP) - A cemetery in northern France holding the remains of British soldiers killed in World War I has been desecrated, with 42 headstones broken and one scorched by a Molotov cocktail, French police said Tuesday.

The vandalism occurred late last week in the Albuera cemetery in Bailleul-Sir-Berthoult, near Lille. The graveyard's visitors' book was also torched, police said. No inscriptions were found.

"Two or three broken headstones, that unfortunately happens sometimes. But 42 -- that's never occurred. Everybody is shocked," said a spokesman for Britain's Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Christopher Farrell.

France's war veterans minister, Hamlaoui Mekachera, issued a statement expressing his "outrage" at the "barbarous and shocking" acts and called for an investigation to find those responsible.

The military cemetery, which contains 252 tombs, is one of 1,500 in France, where more than 400,000 soldiers from Britain and its former colonies are buried.

[Edited thread title]

www.ttc.org . . .

Edited by Tommy

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• __Kratos__

• JayRob303

• Boff

• AztecInca

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Blackleaf, why you generalize? The head of this post give the meaning of the french (the french people) desacrating these tombs, when the desacrators where unknow vandals, maybe nationalist liek you, but from the french side, or maybe foregens in France. Its like when people generalize about the USA citizens or the Latin america people.

Edit: Thanks for making the heading of the post more clear.

Edited by Mekorig

Blackleaf, why you generalize? The head of this post give the meaning of the french (the french people) desacrating these tombs, when the desacrators where unknow vandals, maybe nationalist liek you, but from the french side, or maybe foregens in France. Its like when people generalize about the USA citizens or the Latin america people.

Edit: Thanks for making the heading of the post more clear.

768656[/snapback]

Don't shoot blackleaf down for posting a news topic, regardless to who has done this they seem to do it every year, they are nothing but scum.

Whoever did it should be killed in some twisted way...

768868[/snapback]

Disrespectful teeny-boppers would be my guess...little pr1cks... passifier.gif

I swear they wouldnt last 2 seconds if I got my hands on them. That is just disgusting. Having family that fought in the war for both Canada and England, that is really disgusting.

Find them and kill them, for that is all they deserve, those men diesdfighting so that they could live in freedom today, to disrespect them like this is unforgivable!

768868[/snapback]

768991[/snapback]

Regardless of their age... I would make them an example for all... devil.gif

768868[/snapback]

768991[/snapback]

Regardless of their age... I would make them an example for all... devil.gif

769589[/snapback]

Agreed

gunsmilie.gifclap.gif