Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

are there any cryptids in Indiana

Smeagol1

I only know of one cryptid in indiana it was this giant turtle.if any of ya have info on cryptids that are in Indiana post them here.I be very happy original.gif

Edited by Smeagol1

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smeagol1

• isis-999

• TaintedDoughnuts

• Sethman

I have never heard that..but i guess since their not sure if they are real, how could they be sure where they live. w00t.gif

Well in Indiana there were some bigfoot stories in lake wawasee there is a giant turtle I heard think its the size of a car thats what I heard anyway. Some fairy sightings. Also some UFO sightings as well. I live here by southbend but thats all I have heard about.

Ya im from south bend as well. I have a neighbor who thinks hes a vampire...but thats about it for us. PM me sometime maybe we could chill sometime

Ya im from south bend as well.  I have a neighbor who thinks hes a vampire...but thats about it for us.  PM me sometime maybe we could chill sometime

779422[/snapback]

thats asome you live in south bend too w00t.gif I thought that I was a loner ph34r.gif

I only know of one cryptid in indiana it was this giant turtle.if any of ya have info on cryptids that are in Indiana post them here.I be very happy original.gif

778017[/snapback]

Lake Manitou, just outside of Rochester, was said to have a lake monster in it early in the 19th century. http://www.rochsent.com/files/sectionedcolumns2.html has a brief account, about 3/4 of the way down the page. There's other material out there if you search for it. The Rochester public library has a quite a bit on that in the local section if you're interested. IIRC, there were similar stories from the vicinity of Logansport a few decades later.

In the early 1970s, (I think 1972 or so) there was a sighting of a monster around Buffaloville, in the extreme southern part of the state. The detail that sticks with me was the account of a boy who went out to feed the chickens at dusk, and literally ran into the thing as he turned the corner of the henhouse. He couldn't give a coherent account of its appearance beyond the large, luminous eyes, but his canvas-topped tennis shoe was shredded, and his foot cut, by (according to his account) the monster's claws as it stepped on his foot. Apparently they bumped into one another, it stepped on his foot and ruined his shoe, then both parties turned and fled.

I would have been about 11 years old at the time. I recall my older relatives treating the story with disbelief. I wasn't so certain. To begin with, it struck me as a peculiarly inconsequential monster story. If someone were going to make up a story, I'd expect a bit more drama and meaning. Lies are generally told for a purpose, and have to appeal to the audience - this just didn't have that feel to it.

I do recall seeing at least one story about this in a newspaper. The papers we subscribed to at the time were the Dubois County Daily Herald, the Huntingburg Independent, and the Evansville Courier. My money would be on either the Independent or the Daily Herald, and probably the Independent, as they tended to carry more 'gossip' stories than the other two.

At any rate, there're two for you, if you want something to investigate. Happy hunting!

778017[/snapback]

Lake Manitou, just outside of Rochester, was said to have a lake monster in it early in the 19th century. http://www.rochsent.com/files/sectionedcolumns2.html has a brief account, about 3/4 of the way down the page. There's other material out there if you search for it. The Rochester public library has a quite a bit on that in the local section if you're interested. IIRC, there were similar stories from the vicinity of Logansport a few decades later.

In the early 1970s, (I think 1972 or so) there was a sighting of a monster around Buffaloville, in the extreme southern part of the state. The detail that sticks with me was the account of a boy who went out to feed the chickens at dusk, and literally ran into the thing as he turned the corner of the henhouse. He couldn't give a coherent account of its appearance beyond the large, luminous eyes, but his canvas-topped tennis shoe was shredded, and his foot cut, by (according to his account) the monster's claws as it stepped on his foot. Apparently they bumped into one another, it stepped on his foot and ruined his shoe, then both parties turned and fled.

I would have been about 11 years old at the time. I recall my older relatives treating the story with disbelief. I wasn't so certain. To begin with, it struck me as a peculiarly inconsequential monster story. If someone were going to make up a story, I'd expect a bit more drama and meaning. Lies are generally told for a purpose, and have to appeal to the audience - this just didn't have that feel to it.

I do recall seeing at least one story about this in a newspaper. The papers we subscribed to at the time were the Dubois County Daily Herald, the Huntingburg Independent, and the Evansville Courier. My money would be on either the Independent or the Daily Herald, and probably the Independent, as they tended to carry more 'gossip' stories than the other two.

At any rate, there're two for you, if you want something to investigate. Happy hunting!

782625[/snapback]

thanks I think I will! w00t.gifrofl.gif

• 2 weeks later...

UFO's and werewolves and I've seen them with my own eyes I live in Lawrenceburg,Indiana

Well, I don't know any in Indiana or in my home town of Aberdeen in Scotland, but I have heard of aliens in the desserts of Arizona. This could be utter garbage but that's about all I know. And Dragons in the Gobi dessert.

I don't know any in indiana. I've heard something about werewolves from somewhere...I don't know any in arkansas either...