Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are ID Cards Necessary?

Guest Lottie

Concluding Post

As you might know immigrants are often better treated than a citizen born in a certain country

Yes, that's a bit of a hot topic in the UK where illegal immigration is rife. We seriously seriously need a solution. Current estimates put the number of illegal immigrants in this country at around 500,000, half a million people have snuck over our borders and some of which are now claiming benefits.

Source

In this instance, an ID card will work, of course it'll cost money and of course there will be teething problems but it's the logical step in defeating this problem and eventually will SAVE money, not cost it.

If I was Canadian I'd be against an ID card, you don't need one, which is probably why the government rejected the proposal. I can't imagine Canada has anywhere near the immigration problems the UK has.

I understand people love their secrecy, I don't like the idea of someone knowing all my personal details but lets face it my personal details are already out there. My name and address is known by my Bank, my Credit card company, the council, the DVLA (Driving and Vehicle Licencing Agency), even eBay! Who also have my credit card details by the way.

However so far I'm ok, no one has racked up £1,000 bills buying garden gnomes from Mongolia, so if eBay can keep my information safe, surely the Government can do the same.

To conclude, a National ID card is not a worldwide solution, but it is a solution in the UK. It will help get benefits to the right place, and therefore stop the flow of money to those people claiming illegally and in some cases using that cash to spout hatred and warmongering in the very country that supports them.

It could potentially help with many other issues including underage drinking and smoking, ID fraud, tax evasion and the capture of criminals.

There are pros and cons for both sides, but in this case I beleive the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages, in the end - we just can't afford not to.

Edited by thebarman

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Atlantis Rises

• thebarman

• AztecInca

• Irish

Thank-you debators!

I will now hand it over to the debate judges to determine who wins this debate!

Perhaps we should have a debate about what constitutes and argument/debate.

The same minor points were expressed throughout the debate without getting to the actual meat of the debate.

The Rev says “where’s the beef”!

Debater 1: thebarman

Relevancy:5

Countering:7

Style:7

Persuasiveness:5

TOTAL:24

Debater 2: Atlantis Rises

Relevancy:4

Countering:5

Style: 4

Persuasiveness:2

TOTAL:15

I will have to agree with Irish in his assesment of the debate. It seems that both sides got stuck in a loop of quoting quotes. While both sides made some good points, they seemed to be lost in all the quoting- commenting.

Relevancy:8

Style:5

Persuasiveness:6

TOTAL:26

Relevancy:6

Countering:4

Persuasiveness:2

TOTAL:16

Shame it couldn’t have been taken to its entirety! And as has already been stated, the debate never really passed its first stages; with still loads of information that could have been covered (which I’m sure it would’ve if it run to completion, in the sense of all its posts). And personally I found it a little confusing when the person posting even quoted themselves?

Relevancy:6

Style:7

Persuasiveness:6

TOTAL:26

Relevancy:5

Countering:5

Persuasiveness:3

TOTAL:17

Thank-you debate judges and debators.

Atlantis Rises finishes this debate with a final score of 16.

thebarman wins this debate with a final score of 25.3.