Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Which is the strongest emotion, love or hate?

iaapac

Many couples claim to be deeply in love, marry, divorce and wind up hating each other. Love often turns into hate but when have you seen hate turn into love? Hitler killed millions out of a hatred and suspicion of the Jewish people and Mother Theresa was known for her love and charity. Which of these had the greater impact on history? Which is it? Is love stronger than hate or is it the reverse?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hyperactive

• Sherapy

• iaapac

• joc

Hate is stronger and more sensitive. People, when they hate someone, don't judge the positive aspects of their relationship with someone, for example: My friend and his girlfriend have been going out for 6 months. One day, they get in a fight because my friend wanted to stay in Wal Mart but his girlfriend didn't, and the next day they broke up. Hate can destroy many things, but love can always patch it up.

Love is stronger, but hate is easier to feel. Everyone has the ability to hate, it takes a strong will to rid yourself of that emotion. Love, on the other hand, is confusing and sometimes complicated to the point of being seemingly intangible. Since hate is so easy to understand, and love so hard, love is clearly the strongest.

Hate will always be hate. It is raw, destructive. But it is not primary, and hate can be controlled.

Love cannot be controlled or pushed aside. It consumes you, changes you. It can be obsessive, it can be good and bad. Love can become hate too.

i'd say they're pretty much equel, since theyre the complete oposite of each other, but naturaly hate is easier to feal, understand and in practice is more destructive (its always easier to destroy\hate than to create\love), it doesnt mean its stronger but hate can do more (bad) than love

(do good).

jay> hard doesnt mean strong

Edited by character

This is a good question and one i have thought about often, I believe that both love and hate are as strong as each other, but Love is above hate, so that makes it a winner in many respects. I believe love will always be the end winner as a whole, as in good always wins over evil in the end. Love is obviously a lot more pleasant to feel, so over all people would rather choose love over hate, even though its easier to hate than it is to love. Because love feels better than hate. It kind of makes you wonder why so much evil happens in the world and why so much war happens as love is a nice feeling hate is horrific. Hate is like a self inflicted curse, love is like a self inflicted blessing, so love gets my vote, but only just. They say hate does more damage, but love does the more healing. Hate can be controlled, love cant, so maybe love is stronger. I think there are diffrent kinds of love, and some of them just cant be broken... I am in love with my girl friend, and i have never felt hate that is more powerful than that.

All the best

Faeden

Edited by Faeden

Love is stronger, but hate is easier to feel. Everyone has the ability to hate, it takes a strong will to rid yourself of that emotion. Love, on the other hand, is confusing and sometimes complicated to the point of being seemingly intangible. Since hate is so easy to understand, and love so hard, love is clearly the strongest.

787035[/snapback]

Hate will always be hate. It is raw, destructive. But it is not primary, and hate can be controlled.

Love cannot be controlled or pushed aside. It consumes you, changes you. It can be obsessive, it can be good and bad. Love can become hate too.

787038[/snapback]

love and hate are just labels of ranges on a scale of relationship (relationship of any two things - not just couples) defined by a dualistic thought process.

love and hate are thus equally weak and equally strong. for what burnside said: love is also raw and destructive and not primary and can be controlled. hate as well can become uncontrolled and obsessive.

any relationship is a a defined by its trust levels. building trust is like building a reputation - it takes some time to build up, but can be easily destroyed. in that sense small acts of distrust become mistaken for hatred when they are not. hatred as well has to be built up to be powerful (which may lead to hateful acts, just as built up love can lead to loving acts).

strip away the artificial and love and hate are seen to be the same thing.

very well said hyper thumbsup.gif

You have no idea what he just said did you?

Didn't think so.

Hate wins, it is something that is ultimate. It changes your entire body and life sometimes. Hate can stay with a person forever. But I think the strongest human feeling is GUILT! IT JUST HAS TO BE GUILT!

Edited by Moose-Of-Armageddon

Most crimes are crimes of passion!!! Whichis often used to describe love I don't know that love and hate are so "different" as one is the lack of the other ??? Namaste Sheri

Again, we often see love change into hate but who has seen hate turn into love?

Hmm...

I would have to say that love is a lot more invasive than hate. It tends to reach deeper into the spirit of a person than hate does. At the same time though, it is far more brittle, and can be rather easily destroyed.

Hate is a shallower emotion, generally speaking. It can be reasoned with, unlike love. It is also far more flexible, so it tends to linger.

Man, this thread isn't going to be resolved anytime soon!

Hmmm . . . . how many of these opinions are formed from experiences with real love? On the other hand, how many of you have really hated someone or somthing? I mean downright killing hate!

I've experience the love when I had to search for my missing goddaughter. I experienced the hate in a barfight. That is where my opinions come from.

Iaapaac you have a point I have had personal experience of hate transcending into love I mean Hate of the killing kind I know love to transcend anything, Didn't the expereince of Jesus transcend hate or how about Ghandi How about Martin Luther, these people so beleived in love they were willing to die I say wow also no two expressions of love are the same love can't hardly be defined hate can and its the same descriptions, Namaste Sheri

Herman Proust once said that "love makes you want to die and hate makes you want to kill."

Love is self-directed, internal and consuming. Hate extends outward, directed toward others as an expression of its force.

Because love is so personal, it has little dynamics when related to others with the exception of the person loved. With hate, however, the impact can be felt and seen by all and can have its own level of devastation.

We can, of course, analyze the all-embracing love such as Mother Theresa but did it change the course of anything? But the hate of one fired worker returning with a shotgun to the workplace is common and touches many, including the innocent.

Herman Proust once said that "love makes you want to die and hate makes you want to kill." 

Love is self-directed, internal and consuming.  Hate extends outward, directed toward others as an expression of its force.

Because love is so personal, it has little dynamics when related to others with the exception of the person loved.  With hate, however, the impact can be felt and seen by all and can have its own level of devastation.

We can, of course, analyze the all-embracing love such as Mother Theresa but did it change the course of anything?  But the hate of one fired worker returning with a shotgun to the workplace is common and touches many, including the innocent.

787205[/snapback]

Good point and it would appear that Jesus life didn't change anything but ghandi brought peace to a country by demonstrating peace Martin luther created the civil rights movement how much has racism come its not completely gone but its getting better I think Jesus raised conciousness gave people something to strive towards not the bible Jesus but the Jesus outside of religious construct what do you think???Namaste Sheri

"love makes you want to die and hate makes you want to kill."

this is a very limited view for love can just as easily make you want to kill, and hate make you want to die.

hate can be just as personal and internal as hate, and love can be driven forth to destroy.

sherri: jusus did not introduce anything new to the world, although he may have brought it to a new audience. it is al a matter of perspective if jesus raised anything other than false-hopes.

the problem is that love/hate is like good/evil = a human construct that has no basis other than in categorization. the represent the same underlying reality, but are merely labels of convenience.

Please, let's don't dare equate love and hate with good and evil. I don't know why we always have to be drawn off onto tht track.

Sheri, I would agree with you, but I am not sure that Ghandi operated out of love but more of a fierce determination. At the same time, I think Jesus and the Bible provide more constructive guidelines than either provides examples.

Please, let's don't dare equate love and hate with good and evil. I don't know why we always have to be drawn off onto tht track.

please don't deny love/hate is just an artificial human construct!

unless you are of course just refering to biological drives to reproduce, that is!

LOVE.. It can heal all wounds, make all pain go away, It can last from one live to the next, with out love the world would be a very empty place to be.! wub.gif