Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Exorcism of Emily Rose

sub_x0ne

So Merrin gave an English translated version of an exorcism. How did that avoid your point? It just made it easier to understand; Latin is not a "magic" language.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Purgitori

• FrMerrin

• sub_x0ne

• Elysiumfire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So Merrin gave an English translated version of an exorcism.  How did that avoid your point?  It just made it easier to understand; Latin is not a "magic" language.

808144[/snapback]

Thank you, that is the translated version of just one of the Exorcisms, this one is to Exorcise a person. There is another Exorcism dealing with Satan and his Fallen Angels.

Furthermore, I thought that those talking of this subject - The Exorcism of Emily Rose - would be interested at least to see what an actual Exorcism Rite is.

It is something that I have personally never have had to carry out, and gladly so. That is an excerpt from the Roman Rituals, so online and a book are the same thing.

So Merrin gave an English translated version of an exorcism.  How did that avoid your point?  It just made it easier to understand; Latin is not a "magic" language.

808144[/snapback]

Thank you, that is the translated version of just one of the Exorcisms, this one is to Exorcise a person. There is another Exorcism dealing with Satan and his Fallen Angels.

Furthermore, I thought that those talking of this subject - The Exorcism of Emily Rose - would be interested at least to see what an actual Exorcism Rite is.

It is something that I have personally never have had to carry out, and gladly so. That is an excerpt from the Roman Rituals, so online and a book are the same thing.

808484[/snapback]

as I said before...finding it online is alot easier than finding it in print..that's what My point was

Purgitori

808144[/snapback]

My point..is the fact that I have it in print...rather than finding it from online...and that it is in latin...which you're right isn't a "magical" language...but that if you can't read latin than obviously you wouldn't understand it

Purgitori

as I said before...finding it online is alot easier than finding it in print..that's what My point was

Purgitori

808505[/snapback]

Ah, if that was your point in some ways you are wrong. Almost every Priest has a copy of the Roman Ritual.

Looking on Amazon.com I was able to find various copies of the Roman Ritual. Furthermore, a while back I saw a Latin version.

I quite agree that posting the entire Roman Ritual for exorcism was a 'over-the-top' exercise, the idea of it being stated in Latin is that latin is supposed to contain inherent and sonorous power in its intonation, very much like the latin intoned at so-called black masses. However, this thread is specifically aimed at discussing the aspects of the Emily Rose film first, and the alleged possession of Annelise Michel, second.

Discussing aspects of the Roman Ritual needs to be on another thread. In fact, it might be interesting to trace the history and the development of the Roman Ritual. How it came to be in the first place? How man discovered that saying these words (in latin) helped to 'cast out' so-called invading spirits. Jesus, Himself, performed a exorcism, but he did not pass the knowledge on how to do so, nor did He use the Roman Ritual.

As I stated in my earlier reply, 'real' possession is characterised by accompanying 'paranormal' events, speaking in tongues; detailed knowledge and information that the possessed could not possibly have known prior to possession or when in the quiet phase of possession; poltergeist phenomena, and so on. The line between psychosis and actual possession (if it occurs at all) is extremely fine, hence the need for a detailed investigation to uncover the traits that may warrant a exorcism to be performed. There are a number of priests whom perform exorcisms directly based upon their own bias and prejudice, almost to the point of advertising 'exorcism while U wait'. An exorcism performed on someone whom does not require it can cause greater psychological harm, and damage to the reputation of the Church.

Regards all

Elysimfire

Well, as you said many of the criteria are contained within the rules of the Rite of Exorcism.

As much as I would like to discuss the various corrections that I should make, I will respect the wishes of those whom came here to discuss the Exorcism and story of Emily Rose/Annelise Michel.

I am sorry for any controversy I have sturred up, but as you are agreed. The line between Psychosis and Possession is a very fine one, and sometimes hard to tell (once again stated within the rules of an Exorcism).

Her name was Anneliese Michel, and the priests and parents were found guilty for negligent manslaughter and omitting first aid, serving like, six months in jail, I believe.

Does anyone here believe in exorcisms? Demon possessions?

I just hope the movie leads to the question of whether or not the Law was wrong in their findings and she was truly possessed and the judge and jury couldn't wrap their minds around the paranormal, or if the girl had psychosis that demanded better medical careand less religious dogma.

Oh well. The old Pope reneged on the whole old Rituale Romanun and now I guess there's a new kind of exorcism in town.

I'd be disappointed if it focused on the lawyer character, Laura Linney, instead of Emily Rose (aka Anneliese Michel).

I would think that the film will concentrate on the court case and show what occurred through flashbacks during witness testimony. This allows the film-makers to explore how the events affected the witnesses and their belief systems. It also allows them to show how the case affects the players in court, the judge, the lawyers, and the public.

Cases of spirit or demonic possession contain infectious dreads and fears, which was highlighted when the original Exorcist film came out. These events challenge one's perspective and self-nurtured belief system. The more one can empathically sympathise with the plight of the possessed, the more the event might affect you in proportion to how you perceive it. Thus, with the original Exorcist, the possessed was a very likable pre-teen girl, depicted through a seemingly docu-drama (of a real event) that we all became witness to. Friedkin first played with our sympathies, then through the images and sounds that created an ambience of a demonical air, he played with our deepest dreads.

Today, the film and its effects look quite dated and, for me personally, time has lessened its impact. Having looked at the website of the Emily Rose film, I think that the demonical ambience is present, and that the film is more of a psychological terror film than a horror one, but for it all to work it will need to play upon our sympathies for the characters. If it is successful in doing this, I think the film will go some way to terrorise us in a similar way that the Exorcist did. It looks to have a good cast, Laura Linney (a modern American woman up against ancient concepts of evil saturation), Tom Wilkinson (a good intense British actor whom is ideal for the part of the priest), and the actress whom plays Emily looks to give her all in the part. I just hope the elements are deftly dealt with by the director, I'll be really disappointed if the director has just created a horror film, as this subject requires very intelligent handling. If he has left the question on whether she was possessed or not open to the viewer, that would be the best scenario.

Best wishes all

Elysiumfire

I am new to this site and looking to know "the truth" How true is Emily Rose and where can you find the facts on it... if it is true... hmm.gif

There is a large and lengthy topic on Emily Rose and the movie in the Paranormal Media section. I'm sure your question has been covered there. I'll go ahead and merged your topic with that one.

I thought she was posthumously diagnosed as schizophrenic ...?

I am new to this site and looking to know "the truth" How true is Emily Rose and where can you find the facts on it... if it is true...

I'm not sure if we as humans can or will ever fully understand the paranormal because I honestly believe our minds were "programmed", if you will, not to be able to fully comprehend these types of matters.

If we did know what happened after death, or things of this nature, I believe it would be too distracting to your true learning experience while incarcerated as a human.

The nature of reality has often been described like an onion. The core of that onion being your soul, or subconscious self. The layers represent different dimensions of your soul that you can "tune" in and out of like TV channels. When tuned into a certain station (reality, or dimension), like the one right now, you are tricked into believing that this is the only existence we have, the only reality that is possible - we do this to fully immerse ourselves into the learning and growth experience that is this life.

An example of this would be how we "forget" dreams so easily - when you awake in the middle of a dream, something that feels so real that you didn't know the difference between that and this life, yet, somehow, just like clockwork, every single human will almost completely forget their incredibly 'real' dream 10 to 15 minutes after having it - completely wiped from memory. Nowhere else in life does this occur.

We also never see our bodies in our dreams, yet we see them all the time in 'real' life - we usually have no sense of time in dreams either - which is odd considering that our 'real' life revolves around time. And, we have no sense of traveling in dreams ... in 'real' life, we need cars, bicycles, airplanes, etc to get places, yet in our dreams we just seem to appear in certain places ???

If our dreams were simple regurgitated fantasies of reality, as so many Western Scientists profess, then how do you explain the consistency of the above characteristics of dreams?

I believe that our dreams represent separate realities, or layers, of that onion. At night, when you sleep, the core of yourself visits these other realities, yet doesn't let your conscious mind know when you are actually participating...

Think about when you hold a conversation with someone, we don't consciously form the words, sentences, and thoughts in our head before we speak - it just seems to spill out - as if someone that we are unaware of is feeding it to us ... yet we never even question this about ourselves.

Something or someone that we are not consciously aware of is pulling our strings.

Edited by indecline

cat.gif I don't doubt the girl was possessed but at the same time I don't fault the German authorities for charging the parents. No matter what the reason, how many of us would live with this behavior? She's attacking family members and starving herself? She needed to be taken to a sanatorium, restrained, and put on a feeding tube, obviously. It's amazing to me that the parents allowed this to continue for so long in their house. Edited by lynnann

AHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where are all the n00bs coming from!

Just kidding.

Welcome to the forums everyone yes.gif

So this is REALLY real then huh... dontgetit.gif

814523[/snapback]

That's what everyone is saying. But there's no way to be sure.

Hey,

Just have to reply - YES, this WAS real. As someone has posted previously, this is based on a true story out of Germany in the 70's.

The movie was filmed at our house (and property/barn,etc.). When I heard what the movie was about we were all a little freaked out, we weren't too sure we wanted a movie like THAT being filmed HERE! After reading the script and some actual referance, I was ok with the filming to take place. I had learned that it wasn't a "true possession" so to speak, it was actually a huge controversy with the Catholic church and doctors - sounded really interesting!

As they shot the movie, the director needed "Emily" (aka Anneliese) to act the part without fail - we, the audience, had to believe she was either possessed or did, in fact, have epilepsy. I could believe both, and both were as scary as all hell! Seeing the movie filmed behind the scenes takes away the best parts of the movie itself, but not this time. Even seeing the scary parts being filmed was even scary!!

As for the tape being real... let's just say that the director wouldn't even tell us. He really wants the public to believe and so far, he's got me believing! As far as it being shot at our house, I just hope I'm as scared as I want to be!! I hate when they film here because I can only look at detail and not the picture sad.gif . I have seen the trailer and so far it's getting me pretty scared, even when I see my house I can disassociate "my house" with the house in the movie, so that makes me happy.

Can't wait!! The Exorcist scared the **it out of me when I was little, I hope this does the same to me now! grin2.gif

Edited by Natiko

this story actually scares me alittle because its based on a lady named Annaelisa Michel, (sorry about the spelling) and actual vatican documents about exorcisms which were centries old, that changed for this particular "possesion" "the exorcism for the millenia" again sorry for the spelling, does anyone else know anything about this actual story or any others like this? crying.gifhmm.gif

BK24, we are having a discussion on Anneliesse here on the board ... wink2.gif

Emily Rose Tapes (aka Anneliesse Michels)

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...showtopic=48192

Kindly,

Sean

I Agree it seems pretty scary

I am on a hunt for the real audio of the exorcism. just because i want to hear it. If anyone has any links or suggestions please feel free to share them with me.

O by the way i found a sound of an exorsim but not sure if it is real or not from russia

http://paranormal.about.com/library/bl_exo...m_recording.htm

cool, thanks! I dont have a clue where to find the real clip, in bavaria, do they keep public records of trials and such? If so do you think they have a website or some sort of public domain to listen to the court decisions?

porbably alot ya know but i heard that the tape they play on the trailer is the actual tape of the exorcism it gives me chills everytime i hear it. The exorcist was changed alot the child in posession was actually a boy. They have another movie I think it was called "the posession" or "posessed" it was more along the real story.

I think the exorcism of emily rose will be good wether they stick to the facts or not though.

793477[/snapback]

actualy the exercism was on a girl named annaliese michel and its said that her body didnt decay until 1 1/2 years later and dose any body know were i can find the tapes on the internet im really cousres to find out :hmm:

I Agree it seems pretty scary

I am on a hunt for the real audio of the exorcism. just because i want to hear it. If anyone has any links or suggestions please feel free to share them with me.

O by the way i found a sound of an exorsim but not sure if it is real or not from russia

http://paranormal.about.com/library/bl_exo...m_recording.htm

825640[/snapback]

OMG! I'm new to this board and was just listening to the link of the Russian exorcism you posted......that is some scary *ss ****!!!!!! I had to shut it down before I was even halfway through because I'm here by myself and was too freaked out to listen anymore! If that is real, as they claim, I don't see how a human could make those noises unassisted! Now I'll have to listen tot he whole thing later when dh getshomw, lol unsure.gif

Well I'm sure there are lots of things that we can analyze about the film and the different aspects of the film. I just want to enjoy it and I hope there are semi decent actors and it isnt poorly made. lol