Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lake Champlain 'Monster' May Be Real After All

UM-Bot

news iconChamp, the famed "monster" of Lake Champlain, might be for real after all. Researchers working in the Button Bay area of the lake last month say highly sensitive sonar equipment on their boat captured underwater sounds similar to those emitted by a Beluga whale or dolphin.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Burlington Free Press

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• Althalus

• Aslan

• Buxillafion

Von Muggenthaler declined to speculate on the size, nature or physical characteristics of the creature her equipment monitored. She acknowledged there is no evidence the lake is home to a freshwater whale or dolphin.

It's still a bit of a leap of faith from here to accepting that a large predator unknown to science lives somewhere in the lake.

If there is no evidence that freshwater whales or dolphins live in the lake, then perhaps she's just found some...

y dont they drain the lake or scuba dive 4 a den or sumthin?
blink.gif

It could be that what they detected is something known, after all things have to be able to get in and out of the lake, so it could have been anything.

I want to know just what it is..but still I hope they don´t find anything.

Becouse humans destroy lots of wonderful things investigating them sad.gifdontgetit.gif

well it would be cool if they did find it but i gotta agree with kaj

• 2 weeks later...

That thang was "found"1 tym.....y dont they drain the lake or scuba dive 4 a den or sumthin?user posted image

The Lake Champlain monster, Champ, Lives in what was once the Champlain Sea. We're not talking about a pond here. You cannot drain the lake.

(taken from " http://www.epa.gov/ecoplaces/part2/region1/site5.html ")

"Size and location: Lake Champlain is located in the northeastern United States. Its basin includes portions of Vermont, northeastern New York, and the Province of Quebec, Canada. The lake is 177 kilometers (110 miles) long and 19 kilometers (12 miles) wide at its widest. The total area of the basin is over 21,000 square kilometers (8200 square miles). "

We're talking about around 6.2 trillion gallons of water here.

The average depth of the lake is 64 feet, with a maximum of 400, it gets kinda dark down there, not to mention the fact that the water in much of the lake is quite murky, limiting even illuminated vision.

I live in Burlington, VT, and have been a Vermonter for 22 of my 27 years, as a way of introduction.

i suggest a rather large fishing rod, capture it, use it as the latest advertising gimmick for microsoft, then after that chop it up and sell it to mcdonalds....

laugh.giftongue.gif

seriously though if it is a huge monster like a plesiosaur how the hell would it sustain its self small fish aren't going to quench its appetite especially huge predators like that or maybe i'm wrong lol i'm no zoologist.

ph34r.gifgunsmilie.gif

Not true, Blood Angel, whale sharks and humpback whales both eath small fish and crustaceans by filtering them out of the water. They are some of the largest animals on the planet. Why don't they sound the lake like they did Loch Ness?

• 1 month later...