Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Orang Pendek Hair DNA Matches 'No Known Animal'

UM-Bot

news iconA team of part-time explorers may have proved the existence of a Yeti-like creature on a tropical jungle island.

Tests by experts at Cambridge University and in Australia have shown that hairs and a footprint found by the Indiana Joneses from Stockport and Macclesfield do not belong to any known species.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Manchester On-Line

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• snuffypuffer

• Nethius

• GhostShark

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I really want some of these creatures to be found, the mystery is what makes them interesting. So if it proves the existence of this animal, it's kindof sad because that's one legend that's moving into the mundane.

Here's an unhelpful and cynical thought. What if this 'unknown' hair actually came from an unrecognised species of shrew or fieldmouse or rabbit, rather than the Oran Pendek?

People would be deeply disappointed I think, which kind of says something about us humans. I'm not sure what, though. We think small mammals are dead boring, possibly.

Um.

What if this 'unknown' hair actually came from an unrecognised species of shrew or fieldmouse or rabbit, rather than the Oran Pendek?

I agree that this would be the main cause for uncertainty about this - simply because it cannot be identified, it doesn't mean that the hair is from an Orang Pendek. I've read about other cases recently involving alleged Yeti hair, which was analyzed with similar results to these. As far as I know nothing further came from it.

The hair samples are interesting, but more evidence is needed before we can say for certain whether this creature really does exist or not.

The hairs could be from anything, the thing is as Aslan said, it could be a known animal, that they overlooked.

...What if this 'unknown' hair actually came from an unrecognised species of shrew or fieldmouse or rabbit...

Yea I've lost confidence in these lab results. I was watching some crime show the other day... and they had to test a needle for a certain drug, ( i think it was insulin) and the tests came back positive... but after the defendant sent 10 needles for this lab to test, with only 1 or 2 actually containing insulin... the results came back that 7 had had insulin on them... guess you just gotta remember that these people testing are human and can make mistakes, also remember that a lot of these labs are probably staffed with students (not experts) making an hourly wage...

I don't know if I really want some of these creatures to be found, the mystery is what makes them interesting. So if it proves the existence of this animal, it's kindof sad because that's one legend that's moving into the mundane.

yeah i agree you with you....

I think jst the thrill of trying to find them is almost as good as finding them....

When scientists found that prehistoric fish off of South Africa everyone was freaked out but now nobody really cares.