Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

DEATHBOT 2000

Hello all, just want to know if anyone else knows of this besides me.......

Many moons ago, roundabout the time of the dawn of the new millennium, people were discussing how it would be the date of the second coming. Now, obviously, nothing happened (millennium bug anyone??????), BUT......

Around that time I read about how our calender is actually wrong by six years. I don't know how, but it claimed that if ever there would be a second coming it would be 2006, as Jesus would have been born 2000 years previously at this point.

I'm not the most religious person in the world, but I find it an interesting story, and anyone has anymore knowledge of the 2006 thing, that'd be cool.

cheers

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Consummate Deist

• Zackery00

• TaintedDoughnuts

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have heard of this theory and while I can't dismiss it, I can't say that it is of complete accuracy. So many speculations are made in this area that it becomes hard to tell between truth, fact, and opinion. Personally, just as long as He comes back, I don't care when it is.

I would rather spend my entire life believing there is a God and die to find out there isn't, that live my entire life believing there isn't a God and die to find out there is.

The idea of 2006 being the time of Jesus return is based on the belief that Jesus was born around 6 BCE. Actually no one really knows when Jesus was born, look around page 11 of Spirituality vs Skepticism at the"When was Jesus Born" thread posted by Beowulf for a full understanding of the problem. Even those closer to his birth seem confused, 2nd century bishop Irenaeus said that Jesus was still alive during the reign of Trajan (Trajan became Emperor in 98 CE) and 4th century bishop Epiphanius said that Jesus was born before Herod the Great (Herod was born in 73 BCE), so if they can't figure out when he was born, we sure have no way of doing it. It might even be theorized that Jesus was actually only a construct and never really lived! Back to the original subject - If we can't say for sure when Jesus was born, then how can we ever think that he will return in 2006 (especially after he told his disciples that he would return will some of them were still alive - that was 2000 years ago)?

would rather spend my entire life believing there is a God and die to find out there isn't, that live my entire life believing there isn't a God and die to find out there is.

But which God are you going to choose? There is no proof for any of them, including the Deist Creator. - CD thumbsup.gif

But which God are you going to choose? There is no proof for any of them, including the Deist Creator. - CD thumbsup.gif

795057[/snapback]

The proof I need is not in written form or from the mouth of some scientist, it is hear "points to heart" by what I believe is true and right and what will happen. I choose to believe in the One God, because it is what I was taught and now it is what I believe to be true.

I thought Jesus was supposed to return after 1,000 years....... Where in any authentic scriptures is 2,000 years mentioned?

I don't know where all this info is coming from, but many people keep switching and changing dates, no one in this world has a clue about when He is coming, so just level with that. He will come, and you will know it and you can mark down the day to tell everyone who remains.

Actually, Jesus said that he would return while that generation still lived:

Matthew 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory

24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh

24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

That was 2000 years ago, all the disciples are long dead and moldered to dust, yet he did not return! It seems to show that he was just another charlatan - CD thumbsup.gif

Technically, isn't he still around? I would tend to think that the christians have kept him alive all of these years. You have to let something go in order for it to make a comeback..

I don't know where all this info is coming from, but many people keep switching and changing dates, no one in this world has a clue about when He is coming, so just level with that.  He will come, and you will know it and you can mark down the day to tell everyone who remains.

795079[/snapback]

to add to your quote,

it is stated in Mattew, Mark, and Luke that NO ONE will know when God will start the end of days and if I can remember correctly, either does Jesus.

there was only a few possible quotes in Exodus or Leviticus(maybe) and again in Revelations to state that thier would be 1000 years of peace before hell on earth would appear. Peace can be thought of as actions beyond our understanding of war and poverty and unrest, or maybe it hasnt even started yet. then again, time was calculated differently then, or maybe the translation was altered.

I say believe, pray, and try to live your best to yourself and those around you until the day we find out whats really going to happen.

Actually, Jesus said that he would return while that generation still lived:

Matthew 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory

24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh

24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

That was 2000 years ago, all the disciples are long dead and moldered to dust, yet he did not return!  It seems to show that he was just another charlatan - CD  thumbsup.gif

795089[/snapback]

Taken from my Bible:

Matthew 24:30 sign(referring to the word "sign" in 24:30) Christ Himself, or the first moments of His appearing.

24:34 this generation. The phrase naturally means the people living as Jesus spoke. Some suggest it means "this race," or somewhat better, "this sort of people," that is, evil and adulterous people, 12:39.

all these things. That is, "all these things" referred to in v. 33, which are distinguished from the consummation itself. They are the "beginning of sorrows" (v. 8) and signs that point to the final coming of Christ, including the siege and fall of Jerusalem. All of the elements of this prophecy, except for the Second Coming itself, had occurred in some form before the disciples died.

Matt 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Ya miss one, ya miss them all! Consequently he missed totally and blew his own prophecy. If the end days started in the 1st century, it was supposed to last only 1000 years so even that way he blew it! yes.gif

24:34 this generation. The phrase naturally means the people living as Jesus spoke. Some suggest it means "this race," or somewhat better, "this sort of people," that is, evil and adulterous people, 12:39.
original.gif

Some suggest it means "this race," or somewhat better, "this sort of people," that is, evil and adulterous people

Show us where Jesus specified that is what he meant...otherwise it is merely putting words in the mouth of a dead man to support the stand desired. yes.gif

He didn't specificaly say it: It was in my Bible, which is a New Geneva Study Bible. These kinds of Bibles attempt to find the meanings of verses and make it much more clear to the reader. It's saved my butt loads of times in Bible class tongue.gif

I've always wondered about those "special" bibles, really don't see their use. After all, what is so hard to understand about the statement "Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled."? It's pretty cut-and-dried, "all of these thing will come about before all of you guys shuffle off this mortal coils", There is no implication of any hidden meanings or any secret message there....I think Amalgamut gets all his "creative" readings of the scriptures from such books. yes.gif

Ok.......... Something is confusing me... I thought Christ was going to come back AFTER the Anti-Christ.... And is'nt the Anti-Christ said to go around saying that he IS Christ? Will we be able to know the difference immediatly? Or only when its too late? *shudders*

Personally if we knew when Christ was coming a lot of people would not serve him because secular life is much easier then christian lifestyle. I can vouch I was once a person who did not serve and liked the secular life but I really love God and want to be as good to him as he is to me.

I don't want to ruin the party here but Christianitys biggest fishing lure and loyal membership is dangling the carrot that Jesus is coming and the Anti Christ is mental terrorism keeps christioans in line . Namaste sehrie

Hello all, just want to know if anyone else knows of this besides me.......

Many moons ago, roundabout the time of the dawn of the new millennium, people were discussing how it would be the date of the second coming. Now, obviously, nothing happened (millennium bug anyone??????), BUT......

Around that time I read about how our calender is actually wrong by six years. I don't know how, but it claimed that if ever there would be a second coming it would be 2006, as Jesus would have been born 2000 years previously at this point.

I'm not the most religious person in the world, but I find it an interesting story, and anyone has anymore knowledge of the 2006 thing, that'd be cool.

cheers

795041[/snapback]

Yes the calander is wrong. I don't have all the details. I learned this in my highschool astromony class. The catholic church would deliberetly add and take away days when it suited them. I don't know if it's six years off, who knows, well someone does, but not me. thumbsup.gif

Personally if we knew when Christ was coming a lot of people would not serve him because secular life is much easier then christian lifestyle.

Actually, the secular life is much harder than Christianity - we have to think for ourselves without the crutch of a book written by Bronze Age savages over 4000-2000 years ago. I have known more moral Atheists than I have known moral Christians, so evidentally morality isn't hard and need not be mandated by a book or invisible sky buddy. The main thing that makes the secular life much harder than following Christianity is putting with the "holier-than-thou" attitude of a majority of the Christians. yes.gif

Well mako I see where you stand but Christians are only human just like a nb. We also have struggles. But we must think for ourselves too. We just have the Bible as a guideline. That is all. But I also know some atheists that are more moral and a lot nicer then some Christians. yes.gif

Well mako I see where you stand but Christians are only human just like a nb. We also have struggles. But we must think for ourselves too. We just have the Bible as a guideline. That is all. But I also know some atheists that are more moral and a lot nicer then some Christians.  yes.gif

797305[/snapback]

Excellent post Mako!

101 if you are using the bible as your guidline for life you aren't thinking because at one time it was debated that you didn't need to use gloves in surgery does that mean its still appliab;l today?? We are constanly growing and evolving that is a fact tof life how you evolve and grow is up to you but that you do grow and evolve is not, the bible has not had one new idea in it since its conception it forces people to stay the same which goes against everything you naturally are. Namaste Sheri

"IF it ain't broke don't fix it"

grin2.gif