Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Can of Worms

Jeenuh

Two guys saw a kid fishing at a lake one day. One of them asked if the fish were biting and the kid replied with an annoyed look on his face: "No, but the worms are!" Surprised and amused, the men laughed and went on. On the way back they were even more surprised when they saw the boy was slumped over his fishing pole dead, his "can of worms" was filled with baby water moccasins.

I got this from the link in the other thread http://www.warphead.com/urbanlegends/babies.htm

I really don't understand it, what's a water moccasins? why did the boy die?

I'm confused, can someone explain it to me? mellow.gif

Edited by Jeenuh

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matthewgoad

• morpheas

• Jeenuh

• Great Big Sea

You might try Google on this one...

A Water Moccasin is a very poisonous semi-aquatic snake that is native to the southern USA... the young ones are very dark brown/black in color and kinda look like worms - if you don't know what worms look like - and don't look closely - and don't actually touch them as you put them on your hook - and don't remember that worms don't have eyes - or mouths that open - or sharp teeth.

This is just a stupid urban legend that is supposed to horrify you. Don't bother with this one...

it was meant to amuse not terrify. this is actually a joke being told in a not funny context. I wont perpetuate a racist idea but the jist of it is that the boy is of a particular ethnic descent, the joke is to make a certain group of people seem stupid.

I hate worms too. If you chop them in half they still move because aren't they supposed to have 6 hearts or something like that.

I hate worms too. If you chop them in half they still move because aren't they supposed to have 6 hearts or something like that.

798260[/snapback]

I think thats a myth, they die. It's just nerves. Kind of like if a lizard gets it's tail cut off.

Edited by Jeenuh

I heard the saying "to open up a can of worms" stems from the world wars.

Because no women were about the soldiers would fill there tin cans with worms to stimulate themselves,so to speak. hmm.gif

A bit gross,probably BS. wink2.gif

798260[/snapback]

I think thats a myth, they die. It'd just nerves. Kind of like if a lizard gets it's tail cut off.

798976[/snapback]

Thanks for that all these myths confuse me. hmm.gif

No problem, I went to a bug expo 'cause I'm a geek & I got to hear all about that happy.gif.

Well the muscles in the snake continue to work for a period of time, even after it is dead. If the head was chopped off, there is the potential that it managed to get away and then when the muscles stopped working it should have died later on. Or maybe she didn't cut it up as high as she thought and left most of it's organs and it was able to survive. Only to show back up years later to extract it's revenge on your family.. Ok maybe not.

Ew. Six hearts? Yuck! wacko.gif

I dunno you guys. I live near Reel Foot lake in TN and I was always warned that baby snakes and worms are somewhat alike.

Ew. Six hearts? Yuck!  wacko.gif

801117[/snapback]

Better than one...if one stops working then ya get 5 left rofl.gif

I know that this is totally from the legend. But once my girlfriends mother's mother got fish and chips around at the corner at 70th at Nordel. And when her grandmother opend it up in the fish there were worms! wacko.gifbounce.gif Yeah I know sick. It kinda turns you away from that sort of thing.

I guess you have a point with that six heart thing. tongue.gif

Edited by Great Big Sea

No I've had some experience with chopping up snakes and they can in fact still move away if the muscles are still working, and in poisonus snakes it is still possible for them to bite you.

snakes die when you cut them in half, but they can live for a little while squirming and yeslike matthewgoad said they can still bite. Even when "dead" dead you don't want to go touching the fangs.

Worms live. Cut them in half and they live on and grow far as I know.

Yeah Celumnaz my family learned the hard way about the snakes still being able to bite. My cousin Lori was bitten by a rattlesnake that we thought was dead that she wanted to get a close up look at. It had it's head chopped off but it bit her on the ankle and she ended up losing her leg because of it. It was very scary.. She could've died, she was very young.

it took ages for it to die and played dead for about 10 minutes

YEAH, YEAH. When my wife and I purchased our house, the lawn hadnt been mowed in like a year, there was tons of (gardner) snakes, I didnt have a spade or anything at first, so I would 'brick" them. ( I would take an 8 pound brick, and throw it down on them full-force to kill them) a couple of times I KNOW I hit them, but a couple minutes later they would be gone. darn things are just like a possum they are.

man i hate snakes.