Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Orleans in for it

smallpackage

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Babs

• Essan

• _Nyx_

• coldwhitelight

New Orleans rocked by massive eplosions... http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/09/02/ame...eb.0902kat2.php

With all the rape and beatings going on there should be FLOCKS of troops there with orders to fire on the scum that are attacking people left, right and centre. There should be tons of soldiers there... oh wait they're all in other countries... sad.gif

Edited by Richdog

what exactly do you want him to do? wave his magic wand? declare a national emergency and use dictatorial powers?

President George W. Bush sould have been prepared for the devastation left behind by hurricane Katrina. The Federal, City, and State governments had enough warning that a category 5 hurricane was going hit New Orleans and the surrounding areas. When the hurricane hit the Federal government didn't do anything for two days. Law enforcement should have done a better job evacuating people and keeping law and order. There shoud have had coordinated safe shelters for people that had no where to go. Medical services should have been on stand by and not turning people away. After the category 5 hurricane hit devastated areas. National Guard and the Cost Guard should the been deployed in a Coordinated rescue and humanitary relief for those people in need. instead are National forces are scrambling to get help to people. We have so many forces devoted to Iraq that America can't even help it own people in time. Because of this people are getting beating by gangs, women are fearing for there well being, people are dying for lack of basic needs, and there is looting everywhere. there is anarchy in the devastated areas. President George W. Bush has turn the States of Louisiana and Mississippi into third world countries.

This may be a silly question, but could the residents of NO get household insurance living in such a flood risk area?

822821[/snapback]

If other examples are anything to go buy they probably had house insurance avaliable before and so if insured could make a claim, but those that move back will probably be unable to insure their houses again.

I don't get what is taking so long to aid these people. If CNN crews can roam the streets, why can't supplies? It's not like there's a lack of resources.

This is such a terrible response, and it continues to get worse! At this point, at the very least, things should be stable and under control. The handling of this situation is poor from every perspective.

what exactly do you want him to do? wave his magic wand? declare a national emergency and use dictatorial powers?

President George W. Bush sould have been prepared for the devastation left behind by hurricane Katrina. The Federal, City, and State governments had enough warning that a category 5 hurricane was going hit New Orleans and the surrounding areas. When the hurricane hit the Federal government didn't do anything for two days. Law enforcement should have done a better job evacuating people and keeping law and order. There shoud have had coordinated safe shelters for people that had no where to go. Medical services should have been on stand by and not turning people away. After the category 5 hurricane hit devastated areas. National Guard and the Cost Guard should the been deployed in a Coordinated rescue and humanitary relief for those people in need. instead are National forces are scrambling to get help to people. We have so many forces devoted to Iraq that America can't even help it own people in time. Because of this people are getting beating by gangs, women are fearing for there well being, people are dying for lack of basic needs, and there is looting everywhere. there is anarchy in the devastated areas. President George W. Bush has turn the States of Louisiana and Mississippi into third world countries.

822842[/snapback]

Look, this thing went from tropical storm to a category five in TWO DAYS. By the time authorities had time to say 'Oh sh**...' it was already too late. They did everything they could, which was get word out. Do you have any idea how long it takes to even think about evacuating a city the size of new orleans? Definately more than the HOURS they had to work with by the time they realized this storm was going to be a bad one.

Stop placing blame, and either do something to help or stop complaining. I am sick of it.

Look, this thing went from tropical storm to a category five in TWO DAYS. By the time authorities had time to say 'Oh sh**...' it was already too late. They did everything they could, which was get word out. Do you have any idea how long it takes to even think about evacuating a city the size of new orleans? Definately more than the HOURS they had to work with by the time they realized this storm was going to be a bad one.

Stop placing blame, and either do something to help or stop complaining. I am sick of it.

822879[/snapback]

Surely the plans should already have been in place? You don't wait until a hurricane is bearing down on you before drawing up emergency plans! This should have been a well rehearsed drill. Especially since FEMA had, in 2001, identified just this event as one of the 3 biggest disaster risks in the USA (the others being a big 'quake in California and a terrorist attck on NY)

And we were expected Katrina to hit somewhere in the vicinity of NO as a CAT 4 storm a good 72 hours beforehand - neither it's intensity nor track took anyone by surprise.

However, you're quite right - there's a time and place for determining who, if anyone, should be blamed. And that's when everyone is safe and towns have been rebuilt.

Surely the plans should already have been in place? You don't wait until a hurricane is bearing down on you before drawing up emergency plans! This should have been a well rehearsed drill. Especially since FEMA had, in 2001, identified just this event as one of the 3 biggest disaster risks in the USA (the others being a big 'quake in California and a terrorist attck on NY)

Okay, so you don't wait until a hurricane is bearing down on you, what then? Do you start an evacuation every time a tropical storm even thinks about moving into the gulf? If you cry wolf too many times, people stop listening.

And yes, they had plans in place, but like I said, this storm took only two days to go from tropical storm to a category five hurricane. By the time anyone could tell its track or could see that it was going to be powerful enough to be a problem, there was pretty much only hours. All of the plans the authorities had counted on having at least a day of time to enact them. There is no way in hell, unless you can somehow teleport people, to empty a city the size of New orleans in less than a day. NOT GONNA HAPPEN, no matter how well you plan or rehearse it.

Okay, so you don't wait until a hurricane is bearing down on you, what then? Do you start an evacuation every time a tropical storm even thinks about moving into the gulf? If you cry wolf too many times, people stop listening.

I agree. Which is why they didn't start evacuatiing 24 hours earlier - there was still a small degree of uncertainty, though as it happens in the end predictions were almost spot on.

However, worse case scenario plans should take this into account, along with a breach of the levees. It's common sense. And, I thought, common practice for authorities to be prepared for the very worst.

The fact of the matter is the States of Louisiana and Mississippi are in hurricane zones. Federal, City, and State governments have plans in case of a natural disaster. Two whole day of warnings is enough time to get the word out to people to evacuate and bring in emergency services. It's not like hurricane just suddenly appeared. There was enough warning.

Edited by coldwhitelight

They were, but it was too late before they could do anything. Like I said, they didn't have the TIME. They had hours by the time they knew this storm was going to be a problem. They did they best they could with what they had.

The fact of the matter is the States of Louisiana and Mississippi are in hurricane zones. Federal, City, and State governments have plans in case of a natural disaster. Two whole day of warnings is enough time to get the word out to people to evacuate and bring in emergency services.

822981[/snapback]

Yes, it built up from a tropical storm in two days. Let me paint a picture of this for you so you understand.

A hurricane doesn't just jump from a tropical storm to a category five. it goes from a tropical storm to a category 1, then from a C-1 to a C-2, a C-2 to a C-3, then a C-3 to a C-4, then a C-4 to a C-5.

This b**** did all of this in the space of two days. Up until it hit a category three, no one really thought it would be a problem. Even then they thought it wouldn't be able to get much stronger if it got stronger at all. By the time it hit a four, they had hours to figure out what the hell to do. Not two days.

All this bickering is pointless, the fact remains that the authorities arn't doing a very good job whether they planned this well or not.

However, that said, they arn't exactly helped by some of the people of New Orleans by their desperate and selfish acts of theft, violence and rape and are probably doing the best they can in the face of such blatent stupidity and wrecklessness.

I'd like to think if that happened in my town we'd be a little more controlled, but then we don't have nearly so many guns around here.

All this bickering is pointless, the fact remains that the authorities arn't doing a very good job whether they planned this well or not.

Thank you! That is the accurate summary of the situation, in a nutshell! Take note Rhomphaia...

They were, but it was too late before they could do anything. Like I said, they didn't have the TIME. They had hours by the time they knew this storm was going to be a problem. They did they best they could with what they had.

822982[/snapback]

You sound like the type of person that believes in the government and their actions no matter how wrong-doing they may be.

Its already sad enough that the national guard can't help out because they're all in Iraq fighting an absolutely pointless war.

edit: took out that one quote because it didn't make sense rofl.gif

Edited by smallpackage

Yes, it built up from a tropical storm in two days. Let me paint a picture of this for you so you understand.

A hurricane doesn't just jump from a tropical storm to a category five. it goes from a tropical storm to a category 1, then from a C-1 to a C-2, a C-2 to a C-3, then a C-3 to a C-4, then a C-4 to a C-5.

This b**** did all of this in the space of two days. Up until it hit a category three, no one really thought it would be a problem. Even then they thought it wouldn't be able to get much stronger if it got stronger at all. By the time it hit a four, they had hours to figure out what the hell to do. Not two days.

Hurricane Katrina was a slow moving hurricane that's how it got so strong. On August 26, The National Hurricane Centrer said Katrina regained hurricane strength after emerging into the Gulf of Mexico. On August 27, the hurricane gained more strength and in that same day President George W. Bush declared a state of emergency in Louisiana, two days before the hurricane made landfall. On August 29, hurricane Katrina made landfall.

There was over three days of warning. The National Hurricane Centrer knew that a strong slow moving hurricane over the Gulf of Mexico was going to hit Louisiana and the surround areas.

to It took the Federal government four days after the aftermath of hurricane Katrina mobilize a cohesive emergency services to the people in devastated areas.

Rhomphaia: It wasn't hours. It was days.

Edited by coldwhitelight

You sound like the type of person that believes in the government and their actions no matter how wrong-doing they may be.

You sound like the type of person that always denegrates the government and their actions no matter how right-doing they may be.

You sound like the type of person that always denegrates the government and their actions no matter how right-doing they may be.

824118[/snapback]

Joc you come across as if the goverment can do no wrong,and you defend them with tooth and nail. At some time you must step back and say why. and then question it. You never seem to question your own goverment why?

Who is more the fool the one who leads or the one who follows?

Joc you come across as if the goverment can do no wrong,and you defend them with tooth and nail. At some time you must step back and say why. and then question it. You never seem to question your own goverment why?

You are misunderstanding me. The US Federal Government only does two things really well...The Post Office...and the Military. But some people here want to discredit the government at every step...let me rephrase that...they want to discredit President Bush and his administration at every step and take every opportunity to do so...even if it means politicising the worst natural disaster in our nations history.

If Kerry were President, or Clinton the Federal Response would have not been any quicker...longer most likely. But the same people who are quick to blame President Bush are the same people who would be going out of their way to explain how it is a disaster of epic proportions, etc. to defend Kerry or Clinton or whoever from any naysayers. Bush's administration is not the Federal Government...they are just currently in charge of the Federal Government and yes I do trust Bush implicitly. He is a good man with a good heart. original.gif

You are misunderstanding me. The US Federal Government only does two things really well...The Post Office...and the Military. But some people here want to discredit the government at every step...let me rephrase that...they want to discredit President Bush and his administration at every step and take every opportunity to do so...even if it means politicising the worst natural disaster in our nations history.

If Kerry were President, or Clinton the Federal Response would have not been any quicker...longer most likely. But the same people who are quick to blame President Bush are the same people who would be going out of their way to explain how it is a disaster of epic proportions, etc. to defend Kerry or Clinton or whoever from any naysayers. Bush's administration is not the Federal Government...they are just currently in charge of the Federal Government and yes I do trust Bush implicitly. He is a good man with a good heart. original.gif

824166[/snapback]

I agree with you there it would not matter what administration was in charge. Bush is not responsible for the lack of response, I think right now he is doing a good job of damage control, for the goverment, he is not in charge of what to do in the events of disaster, there are many agencies that, are responsible for this nightmare. I mean the aftermath, I watched Bush today walking the area and he did a good job.

I feel the overall goverment even after 9/11, did not prepare the U.S. properly for another attack/natural disater. I hope that all the states this will put a more rapid response program in place.

I have to say what's happening in New Orleans is a disgrace. The looting and violence, after the tsunami in the indian ocean that killed 200.000+ we did not see mankind sink to these levels of barbariziam. What makes man turn on man over night, it's not a disaster, people can deal with that just not in the States why?

I have to say what's happening in New Orleans is a disgrace. The looting and violence, after the tsunami in the indian ocean that killed 200.000+ we did not see mankind sink to these levels of barbariziam. What makes man turn on man over night, it's not a disaster, people can deal with that just not in the States why?

This really isn't a statement about mankind...the looting I mean. You have to understand the dynamics of New Orleans. The people who did not evacuate, did not evactuate for a reason....and the reasons while varied have a lot to do with the looting and shooting. Drug addicts, prostitutes, gangs, general criminal element...didn't leave.

And many stayed for the primary reason of looting the city after the hurricane was over. Some were looting while it was going on. This isn't a 'broad brush' swiping of everyone who didn't evacuate...but the criminal element that is causing the anarchy is the same criminal element that was there the days and weeks and months and years before the storm ever hit. The difference in the Sunami and New Orleans is in the dynamics of the population. Over 'there' ...everyone is poor...no one has an 'attitude' against the rich...and in New Orleans.....well, you just have to know that the black/white ratio is not proportionate and that there is a good number of very nice decent black folk and at the same time a good number of scum who would cut your throat just because they wanted your necklace.

Part of the original problem was that thousands of people were sent to the SuperDome as it was a designated disaster shelter. No one knew the roof would collapse and those people would have to be moved. I would have to say that added to the problem. Also, the fact that a small minority of people are committing heinous crimes against other victims doesn't really help either. Let us not forget that helicopters attempting to drop supplies and rescue people are being shot at from rooftops by the same small minority of people.

This situation is not being handled well by either rescuers or rescuees at this point; hopefully that will be rectified in the next day or so. Otherwise, these people have little chance for survival.

This really isn't a statement about mankind...the looting I mean. You have to understand the dynamics of New Orleans. The people who did not evacuate, did not evactuate for a reason....and the reasons while varied have a lot to do with the looting and shooting. Drug addicts, prostitutes, gangs, general criminal element...didn't leave.

And many stayed for the primary reason of looting the city after the hurricane was over. Some were looting while it was going on. This isn't a 'broad brush' swiping of everyone who didn't evacuate...but the criminal element that is causing the anarchy is the same criminal element that was there the days and weeks and months and years before the storm ever hit. The difference in the Sunami and New Orleans is in the dynamics of the population. Over 'there' ...everyone is poor...no one has an 'attitude' against the rich...and in New Orleans.....well, you just have to know that the black/white ratio is not proportionate and that there is a good number of very nice decent black folk and at the same time a good number of scum who would cut your throat just because they wanted your necklace.

824203[/snapback]

I have to agree the vast majority,black or white are very decent people, But in other threads I do believe some you have commented on, the majority strive to find a job that pays them 7000 dollars a yr. In the richest and most powerful of nations why is that? That is well below poverty level, it must be a bit embarrassing now that the rest of the world see's how the rich take care of the poor in the U.S.

It has been four days now and the first trucks just arrived, a hospital had to stop helicopter rescues because of people taking pop shots at them WTF. this is not only the worst disaster to hit the U.S. but the most eye opening event ever to show that the U.S. is weak and afraid,even of there own people.

disaster hits pull out your guns, I don't get it. I'm a peacefull man but damn I tell you if I was in those choppers with an m-60 and saw rapes,murders,even looting at this point look out safety is off.