Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Victims of Hurricane Katrina

BurnSide

I am sure the news of the devastating destruction left in the wake of Hurricane Katrina has spread far and wide to all the members of Unexplained-Mysteries.com by now, and I know alot of you are feeling frustrated and powerless to help.

Rescue teams are working endlessly in the main affected areas to save and aid those desperately in need. And they do need our help.

Please donate to support these teams to save as many lives as possible and help replace the billions of dollars in damage caused in the wake of this incredible Hurricane and be one of the ones who did do something about it. A donation is a small helping hand to give and every penny will go towards those fighting to save lives, and those 200,000 people who are left homeless and have lost everything.

TraJikMaJik suggested the idea of a pinned topic for members to make donations though.

Michelle has kindly looked up all the major rescue teams you can donate to, which I will list here for you to make your donations through. Thank you.

Red Cross America

Federal Emergency Management Agency

Salvation Army

National Volunteer Organisations Active in Disaster

Catholic Charities USA

Most public places such as Grocery Stores also have collections set up for you to donate whatever you can.

Thank you for your help in these times of need.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wrighty

• Michelle

• wcturnersr

• JohnnyBoyC

I shall donate. The poor victims of Hurricane Katrina with no homes, no money and maybe even a lost relative or 2. I think it will take alot of money to help them but I am with Burnside and TraJikMaJik on this one and do what I can to help.

Every little bit helps wrighty. original.gif

Yes it does and I just hope everybody hear realises that. Even if we all donated 50p it would go a long way.

Just think of it like this if we were in these peoples shoes we would be dieing for people to donate. Thats just how they are feeling right now.

The amount of damage is overwhelming...

user posted image

Edited by JayRob303

if you're unable to make a monatary donation, don't forget you can donate things like pet food for all the pets that are now homeless too. it helps the victims when they don't have to worry about buying pet food and it helps the organizations that rescue the surviving pets.

doing anything is better than nothing...

^she's right

the ASPCA website has ways to donate to shelters hit by the hurricane.

www.aspca.org

Please help the pets who were abandoned. This is so sad it tears your heart out. crying.gif

i did the pint for a pint thing.

no not a pint of blood for a pint of beer( however thats not a bad idea....)

but for a pint of icecream. its not such a bad deal....

FEMA does a vey good job with that, too. They helped me keep up with my sister, in the Virgin Islands, during three different hurricanes.

Johnny, your never too young to raise money for a worthy cause. thumbsup.gif

Edit: Did you try any of the other organizations, Dis?

Edited by Michelle

I went to donate blood today, but there was a line out the door.

Well keep trying.

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin has issued a "desperate SOS" for thousands of people stranded with no food or water at the city's convention centre.

Up to 25,000 people are at the centre, in addition to tens of thousands more still trapped by the flood waters unleashed by Hurricane Katrina.

It just keeps getting worse.

Just to let you all know, my family and I survived. We left the day before it hit. We heard from a couple of people that stayed, they said the front of my house was okay but the back-end that faces north was tore up from the winds. We had no water damage. Right now I am staying in Texarkana, Arkansas and will be leaving in the morning to work in Shreveport temporarily until my company, Hibernia National Bank, figures out what to do. For those who don't know, Capital One has post-poned the merger between themselves and Hibernia til the 7th. Well I may not respond very soon because I would have to find another computer to get on. I will post pictures of the house and some of the damages of my area as soon as I return. To let ya'll know how close my house was to the storm, just look up Marrero, LA on Yahoo Maps.

I miss reading all the articles on the site and hope to be able to find time real soon to get back on.

Oh, almost forgot, ya'll may want to send a few prayers to all those beautiful luters out there, cause it won't be anything nice if I find any in my home.

Talk to ya'll real soon original.gif

Very glad to hear you and your family survived original.gif .

Sorry to hear about the damage to your house sad.gif . I bet it was very scary knowing a hurricane was going to hit around your area.

no money sad.gif live in a hick town on a road where 1 person drives by per day. so that cuts out lemonade stand...

I am going to try to do somthing though, maybe go down to the grocery store and set up a stand for donations.

My friend lives down in Shreveport, Louisiana. She's helping in shelters for the people that don't have homes. I will be donating money. I feel really bad that this happened, and I'll see how much I can do to help.

I am going to try to do somthing though, maybe go down to the grocery store and set up a stand for donations.

Make sure you get them to write checks...no cash...and make the checks out to The Red Cross...then mail them all to the Red Cross office nearest you. thumbsup.gif

I gave $150.00 to the Red Cross. Not bragging...I wish I could have given more.

Don't think small donations don't count. In Dallas you can buy a case of Oasis water 24pk for $3.50 and they don't tax bottled water. I figure I bought a bottle of water for over a thousand folks. Every little bit counts. If you only give $5.00 consider it in the context of you being one of millions who gave $5.00. Give whatever you can. thumbsup.gif

Please.

At the football game they were selling bracelets that we made last year for the tsunami that say fight the wave for $2. I know a Lot of people bought it, and if they didn't I know people donated.

A easy way to help is just click the link in my sig. I know we all have $5.00 to spare.

Just think $5.00 from every person participating at this forum!