Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Future of New Orleans

wazoo

Seriously, where do they go from here?

I've read that up to 90% of the city is underwater. Some deep, some not so deep. And its getting worse.

The situation with NO being below sea level is well documented.

Assuming that houses, offices, etc are all underwater for days or more likely weeks, isn't there a concern about the structural integrity of these buildings? If so, does it make sense to try to rebuild 90% of the buildings in a true flood zone or to "cut your losses" and raze the buildings and almost try to move NO to another locale that is not susceptible to flooding of this magnitude.

Obviously, the easy answer is to clean up NO and build the leevees stronger. However, after seeing what Katrina did to that highway, I'm not sure that is necessarily possible.

I'm being serious but realize for those of you that are impacted directly (Tipsy, etc.) this is a sensitive topic.

I don't know the answer, just looking for a thoughtful discourse on the issue.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Babs

• Michelle

• Erikl

• wazoo

Top Posters In This Topic

I had read that pretty much every building would need to be inspected by a structural engineer before it could be cleared for use.

once they eventually fix the leevees and stop the inflow of water, they still have the enormous task of pumping the existing water out. NOLA is essentially a giant lake now, and with being below sea level, that "lake" will not drain off elsewhere. it will take months to pump that much water out.

there was a town in illinois (i believe) on the mississippi that packed up and rebuilt further away so that the next time there is a catastrophic flood, they won't be part of it. of course, NOLA is a much larger city with tremendous personality and tradition.

Indeed it's been speculated that it will take at least 8 weeks just to drain the city.

After that, who knows how long to actually get things back to normal. Years, no doubt. There is nothing left for people there now. It's tragic, but a meteor might as well have just hit it, everything is destroyed.

Its horrible think of all those people with no homes, no money and maybe even a lost relative or 2 no.gif . It makes me feel really lucky that England doesn't get hit with such massive disasters like this. It will take a long, long time till New Orleans gets back on its feet.

One thing that gets me is, i was watching CNN for some reason, i think my dad left it on anyways, a guy comes on and asks "Weres the national guard?" he then awnser it himself by saying "Oh ya there in Iraq," which is a true statement

~Thanato

The national gaurd is there, but they can't get to the parts of town that need help. Only choppers can get to those who need the help, and wow you would need alot of choppers.

The residience of NO arn't much help either the national gaurd is now gaurding Sears and wallmarts. STOP looting and start helping.

It makes me feel really lucky that England doesn't get hit with such massive disasters like this.

820191[/snapback]

It hasn't yet, but just remember London is below sea level too, that's why we have the Thames Barrier. It might not be that long before we see the same thing happening there.

The residience of NO arn't much help either the national gaurd is now gaurding Sears and wallmarts. STOP looting and start helping.

I guess people are really desperate and running out of food, and where do people normally get food? In shops, it stands to reason people are going to loot but it is a shame.

i dunno, but it would be quite spectacular if the city was abandoned and remained half submerged, i can't think of anything of this scope happening to a modern day city

And Bush was talking about rebuilding and everything being back the way it was??? disgust.gifno.gif If I rebuilt the city it would be pushed way back up the coast.

Its gonna be the new atlantis in a few hundred years...but with alot more bars.

They say that Americans have been frozen to their tv sets since this happened. They want the people to get up and do something!

I've heard that all the chemical factories have been flooded and toxic chemicals are now filling the lake which used to be New Orleans. Add to that all the bodies and you get a pond of toxic and bio-hazard materials.

I vote for the creation of "New Orleans 2" near this place, instead of risking everything and go back to the original location.

I'm the sure the US has detailed plans of the original city, and can create an exact copy of it thumbsup.gif

"The equivalent of Armageddon". More on the situation. here

I've heard that all the chemical factories have been flooded and toxic chemicals are now filling the lake which used to be New Orleans. Add to that all the bodies and you get a pond of toxic and bio-hazard materials.

I vote for the creation of "New Orleans 2" near this place, instead of risking everything and go back to the original location.

I'm the sure the US has detailed plans of the original city, and can create an exact copy of it thumbsup.gif

821311[/snapback]

I hope so. Build, way up from the coast, next time.

no.gif One of the oldest cities in the US...

Those beautiful old buildings can never be replaced.

no.gif One of the oldest cities in the US...

Those beautiful old buildings can never be replaced.

821371[/snapback]

They can if the Bush administration would pull our the city plans and start reproducing it brick by brick in another, closed by, location.

I wouldn't want to danger the future citizens with lots of cancer cases for generations to come as a result of who knows what chemicals sticking in the streets or in the ground or entering the biological cycels....

Just too dangerous to know for sure, and New Orleans should have never been built there in the first place - so it's an opportunity to relocate it to another, safer, place.

What I meant Erik, is that you can reproduce and antique but it will never truely be the same as the original. sad.gif