Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

weird program

Kimm

I got a weird program in a mail a while ago.

I have no idea what it does! all I know is that there are no viruses in it! tongue.gif

I uploaded it on the internet so that you can have a look at it:

[removed]

all I get when I trye to runn it is:

run-time error '53':

file not found

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kimm

• Mentalcase

• ShadyLady

• Blood Angel

by anychance did you get it in a email asking you to test out a screensaver? if not please post the program name plus extension, if it was the screensaver thing then its a trojan horse (a program designed to let hackers into your computer by bypassing the firewall opening a back door)delete it immediately, hmm a runtime 53 error is usually a MDAC libary error you need mdac runtime components to run it anyway even if you did try to run it don't destroy it, and one more thing don't trust anything that comes in your email box as a attachment unless its from someone you trust 99% of the time its a virus or trojan. ph34r.gifgunsmilie.gif

no, nobody wanted me to test any screensaver and I allredy have posted the program. maby you didnt notice

here it is again: [removed]

and I realy dont think it is a virus or a troyan sinse I ran Norton on it beafure I opend it (I have had a troyan on the computer beafure) I never take shanses!

Edited by SaRuMaN

dude your missing my point here, as i know quite a bit in the subject of which i talked of earlier, it doesn't have to be detected by norton to be a trojan, there are alot and alot still being made that can't be detected, and dude i'm not gonna dl the program, for one thing i don't want to open my comp up for other just incase it is a trojan i suggest you delete my friend, apart from that theres not much else i or anyone else can do and i really wouldn't other people to get the same trojan in there system(incase it is one). just thinking of your net safety is all....

ph34r.gifgunsmilie.gif

I've removed the links from this thread to stop anyone else from downloading it and infecting their system with something. As Blood Angel has said, this is very very likely to be a trojan horse, whether or not your Virus Checker can pick it up.

I'd recommend you get rid of it immediately Kimm, because I very much doubt that it's a screensaver that's in it.

Hackers don't send Trojans, Crackers do.

And Kimm, if you get an email with a program that is from a sender that you do not know of, DO NOT open it. You can tell before you open the email that it has an attachment by the number of kb's the email is. An attachment in an email will make it have a higher number of kb's than the usual size of the emails you get.

I've removed the links from this thread to stop anyone else from downloading it and infecting their system with something.

SaRuMan........ yahooooo!! Way to GO!! thumbsup.gif

Thank YOU!

N.

Maybe Kimm is a hacker.

and sorry but I have to dissagree. Hackers send troyans (even tho maby crackers do too) becos if you entersomeone elses computer whithout permision you are a hacker. A cracker cracs passwords to for example an......e-mail acount.

now you will ask me: how do you know that?

my reply will be:

how do you know that?

whistling2.gif

According to netlingo.com, this is the difference between 'Cracker' and 'Hacker' :

Cracker

hacker jargon used to describe one who breaks security on a system. This term was coined circa 1985 by hackers in defense against journalistic misuse of the word "hacker." While it is expected that hackers will have done some playful cracking, most outgrow the desire to break security (except perhaps to get some work done). Crackers tend to gather in small, secretive groups that have little overlap with hacker culture. They like to describe themselves as hackers (but hackers consider them lame). A cracker is also one who can crack a software program.

Hacker

A computer enthusiast who enjoys learning everything about a computer system and, through clever programming, pushes the system to its highest possible level of performance. Often confused with crackers, these hobbyists are skilled programmers with the reputation of having a mischievous bent for breaking into secured systems. In one sense, a hacker is a person who enjoys programming rather than just theorizing about it. In another sense, the term "hacker" tends to connote membership within a global community defined by computer networks; it implies that the person subscribes to some version of the hacker ethic. Hacking has been going on since computers were invented, and sometimes there have been extremely damaging consequences.

ok sorry, I gues I got it wrong, but then there are many different explonations too that and I gues I read another one, but still I almost seeme to have gotten it the other way around tongue.gif.

but the golden rule amoung hackers is: to be a hacker you must hack!

so to be a hacker you cant just write programs!

Kimm,

How do you know that? tongue.gif

Kimm,

Back when hacking first started and computers were being developed, the meaning of 'hacking' something, WAS creating a program. Therefore, hackers were anyone who 'hacked away' at programs. A modern definition of hackers is 'Someone who builds programs, or someone who breaks into a system without malicious intent'. Crackers basically have the same skills as hackers, but use the skills WITH malicious intent.

Thank you Saruman for providing the differences.

ehhhhh.......I have read that you must hack (whith the meening: into other systems) to be a hacker!

How do you know that? tongue.gif

whistling2.gif

best thing to do is to have 2 or 3 anti virus software on your computer.

i uninstalled norton and installed vexira, and found out that norton had not detected a backdoor program which was part of a file that was installed from my printer software. however, vexira is very good at scanning your system, but is not as good for checking emails. you should also get a trojan scanner for finding the pesky ones that getaway from your AVS