Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Archaeology from the dark side

UM-Bot

news icon rIn February of 1961, three amateur gem collectors dug a mechanical gizmo encased in fossil-encrusted rock out of a mountainside in the Southern California desert. They didn't know what it was, and began showing it to friends and associates.

Within a few years this thingummy, which became known as the Coso artifact, had assumed an almost mythic importance.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Salon.com

GreyWeather

So, uhm... what actualy became of this and what happened after they showed it to scientists?

it doesn't telll you an awful lot...

Essan

They probably threw it in the bin - what use is a manky old sparkplug? wink2.gif

GreyWeather

^heh

appariently the discoverers of this item died, and they were the last to have hold of it. they wouldn't let anyone study it as they were selling it for 25,000 dollars. but before they sold it, they died and the object is now persumed 'missing'.

EDIT

heres a link to further info on the coso artifact thumbsup.gif . http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/coso.html

Edited by Leliel

Ignis_Fatuus

I love stuff like this. Once, a primative sparkplug was found encased in stone.

fallingalien

when it said darkside, and I read bright metal in the handle, I thought star wars??????????????????

Baku
^heh

appariently the discoverers of this item died, and they were the last to have hold of it. they wouldn't let anyone study it as they were selling it for 25,000 dollars. but before they sold it, they died and the object is now persumed 'missing'.

EDIT

heres a link to further info on the coso artifact  thumbsup.gifhttp://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/coso.html

824565[/snapback]

So the only excisted proof of human history let alone acient world history is missing? Have the scientist even tried to search o0n eBay laugh.gif

GreyWeather
^heh

EDIT

heres a link to further info on the coso artifact  thumbsup.gifhttp://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/coso.html

824565[/snapback]

So the only excisted proof of human history let alone acient world history is missing? Have the scientist even tried to search o0n eBay laugh.gif

825165[/snapback]

doesn't look like its being sold on ebay.co.uk OR .com

...no... I didn't look... really i didn't....

laugh.gif

zukie&jim

seems like i read somewhere else on the net that that thing was actually a spark-plug from about 1912?

Lord_Kazius

why is it that these finds always go missing?

GreyWeather
why is it that these finds always go missing?

825225[/snapback]

ah, but this one was actually studied by scientists.

which you know, is better than it missing before its been studied

merlinhoot

Could of been left by time travelers.

I just saw the movie "A Sound of Thunder"

which was about this same theme.

Cool movie by the way.

[attachmentid=18337]

post-12312-1125810628_thumb.jpg

Yelekiah

There will alwyas be another find that predates this or that. Nothing to cry over.

ROGER

grin2.gif What I find amusing is that the technology of just a few years ago was not recognized by the younger generations. I grew up around old farm machines that, like the F-20 Farmall tractor, had a Magneto instead of a generator. And with no battery YOU had to crank it over to start it. The spark plugs of these tractors were huge. Some times 4 to 6 times larger than today's.

I have read in different posts that some members find it hard to believe that an advanced civilization could lose all its accumulated knowlege, and resort back to primitive living.

But recent Disasters in the World have prov en that loosing our Electronic, Electrical, and Gasoline powered infrastructure sets us humans back to the Savages we all basically are.

" And once upon a time there was a Great Nation, with wonderful Machines and Great knowlege. That disappeared one night!" Could this the OUR Future Unexplained Mysteries?

Piney
grin2.gif What I find amusing is that the technology of just a few years ago was not recognized by the younger generations. I grew up around old farm machines that, like the F-20 Farmall tractor, had a Magneto instead of a generator. And with no battery YOU had to crank it over to start it. The spark plugs of these tractors were huge. Some times 4 to 6 times larger than today's.

I have read in different posts that some members find it hard to believe that an advanced civilization could lose all its accumulated knowlege, and resort back to primitive living. 

But recent Disasters in the World have prov en that loosing our Electronic, Electrical, and Gasoline powered infrastructure sets us humans back to the Savages we all basically are.

" And once upon a time there was a Great Nation, with wonderful Machines and Great knowlege. That disappeared one night!" Could this the OUR Future Unexplained Mysteries?

826335[/snapback]

And those magnetos zapped ya good if you had some faulty wire insulation wacko.gif

OK! OK! Here is some theories

1. A time traveler from the future left a 'Lawnboy' in the Cretaceous period to see how long it would actually last.

2. The first UFOs who visited this planet were powered by 2 stroke combustion engines.

3. I should stop thinking! w00t.gif

Elysiumfire

Hmm, this was a curious find, wasn't it? Having had a look at the x-ray of it, it does remind me of something other than a sparkplug.

The 2mm shaft of metal that ran all the way through it, surrounded by a porcelain-like material (is it conductive?), and the spring-like item at one end, actually makes me think of it as a fuse or switch for a piece of machinery.

Perhaps, when the shaft of metal became heated and expanded it turned something off, and as it cooled, the spring helped to return it to the 'on' position. Rather like the safety mechanism of a kettle's element? Just a thought!

Regards

Elysiumfire