Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Exorcism of Anneliese Michel

Sensuei

I just watched the movie last night. I found it very... I don't know. I haven't worked up the courage to listen to/look at some of the "True" exorcism videos and tapes. Maybe I will when I don't have any reason to get up in the morning

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Radian

• Boltwave

• Imaginary Friend

• seanph

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Forgive me if I misunderstand your post, however if the "Exorcist" was released in 1974, how would it to influence AM who's symptomatology began to appear in 1969, relate to one another, if she began to experience her symptoms 5 years before the German theatrical debut of 1974? :blink:

That was my point exactly! To those ( previous poster) who speculated she imagined the symtoms as a result from the movie. She couldn't have. :tu:

True. But that doesn't mean that it didn't influence her in some way--agitate her condition--later on as it did others.

... Short time before these events, William Friedkin's The Exorcist came to the cinemas in Germany (1974), and started a paranormal hysteria all over the land. Psychiatrists all over Europe, reported an increase of obsessive ideas in their patients. For the prosecutors, the factual situation is more than bizarre, and it took almost two years, until the "Klingenberg Case" was brought to court...

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/news.php?id=2507

The girl was terribly mentally ill--a fact attested to even by the church. And a court of law as well.

True story of AM

http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/emilyrose.php

Sean

Edited by seanph

I watched the DVD the other day, and I thought it was great. Don't know if it's real or not, but a copuple of questions do come to mind. If these demons used to possess evil persons like Cain, Hitler and Nero, why would they suddenly attack a completely unknown german girl? What a fall from grace, eh?

And if these demons don't have anything better to do than possess people, why doesn't it happen more often? We rarely hear about these things today, right?

:tu::yes:

I watched the DVD the other day, and I thought it was great. Don't know if it's real or not, but a copuple of questions do come to mind. If these demons used to possess evil persons like Cain, Hitler and Nero, why would they suddenly attack a completely unknown german girl? What a fall from grace, eh?

And if these demons don't have anything better to do than possess people, why doesn't it happen more often? We rarely hear about these things today, right?

Well the movie says she might have been more susceptible to possession and the only people that ever seem to bring up demonic possession are usually very religious. It never seems to be an ordinary person.

Well the movie says she might have been more susceptible to possession and the only people that ever seem to bring up demonic possession are usually very religious. It never seems to be an ordinary person.

I haven't been in a church for years- what religion am I? I have no friggin' Idea, nor do I care to have one--

She was possessed!!

I haven't been in a church for years- what religion am I? I have no friggin' Idea, nor do I care to have one--

She was possessed!!

I agree that she was possessed and I would say that the reason more people don't get possessed is because they aren't susceptible like she was. That's mainly what I was trying to get across. Demons just can't possess any old person. That person has to be special.

Guys, she was not possessed. Even the Church stated this--as did a jury/court. She suffered terribly from mental illness.

Please read her entire history. Believe me, you will quickly see why this poor girl suffered so. Her mother should have been imprisoned.

Had Anneliese been a deeply religious person prior to 'being possessed'?

Yes. Anneliese and her three sisters were raised in a strict Catholic family. Her father Josef had considered training as a priest and three of her aunts were nuns.

Four years before Anneliese was born, her mother gave birth to an illegitimate daughter, Martha. As a result, her mother suffered great shame and was forced to wear a black veil on her wedding day. When Anneliese was a child, her mother encouraged her to atone for the sins of illegitimacy through fervent devotion. When Anneliese's sister Martha died at the age of eight during an operation to remove a kidney tumor, this likely only increased Anneliese's desire to do penance for her mother (telegraph.co.uk).

As she grew older, Anneliese continued to suffer for the sins of others. When she was a teenager, Anneliese slept on a bare stone floor to atone for the sins of wayward priests and drug addicts, who could be observed sleeping on the hard ground at the local train station (washingtonpost.com). In college at West Germany's University of Würzburg, she hung pictures of saints on her dorm room walls, kept a holy-water font near the door, and regularly prayed the Rosary (time-proxy.yaga.com). As stated earlier, even close to her death she spoke of dying to atone for the sins of the wayward youth and renegade priests.

AM's story

Kindly,

Sean

Guys, she was not possessed. Even the Church stated this--as did a jury/court. She suffered terribly from mental illness.

Please read her entire history. Believe me, you will quickly see why this poor girl suffered so. Her mother should have been imprisoned.

Had Anneliese been a deeply religious person prior to 'being possessed'?

Yes. Anneliese and her three sisters were raised in a strict Catholic family. Her father Josef had considered training as a priest and three of her aunts were nuns.

Four years before Anneliese was born, her mother gave birth to an illegitimate daughter, Martha. As a result, her mother suffered great shame and was forced to wear a black veil on her wedding day. When Anneliese was a child, her mother encouraged her to atone for the sins of illegitimacy through fervent devotion. When Anneliese's sister Martha died at the age of eight during an operation to remove a kidney tumor, this likely only increased Anneliese's desire to do penance for her mother (telegraph.co.uk).

As she grew older, Anneliese continued to suffer for the sins of others. When she was a teenager, Anneliese slept on a bare stone floor to atone for the sins of wayward priests and drug addicts, who could be observed sleeping on the hard ground at the local train station (washingtonpost.com). In college at West Germany's University of Würzburg, she hung pictures of saints on her dorm room walls, kept a holy-water font near the door, and regularly prayed the Rosary (time-proxy.yaga.com). As stated earlier, even close to her death she spoke of dying to atone for the sins of the wayward youth and renegade priests.

AM's story

Kindly,

Sean

Dont know if that convinced me, but as you all can see; religion can (and has) a bad effect on most people. I wonder where those demons are today? :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

There isn't much information on the WEB about AM, but if you really take the time and research it you can find a lot of information that most of the websites people are quoting here don't have. Once you have done that, most that do not believe she was possessed would change their mind.

I know a poster here and will not mention the name did just that. Spent a lot of time digging through and sorting out fact from hersay. A lot of it had to be translated also. For people just to pass it off as she was mental to me shows that they didn't research but rather taken the word from the Movie or websites that got their information from that movie. Not only researching AM case, when you read about other known documented Possession cases one would come to see a pattern that isnt' widely known to the average person. Even to the Church going Religious types.

It all came down to one question for me. AM was sufferring from sever dehydration, and if you read about what a body goes through during that time, and then from the research about things she did during the last days, how can one come to terms with how she was able to have strenght to even hold up her head, but yet she did a great more physical activity then just get up and walk around.

Some people just do not want to believe in Possession at all. This is because if they believe in it, that means they would have to be responsible for themselves. Something in this day and age that many refuse to do.

I am not trying to convience anyone but rather I wish people would take a lot more time researching before they write AM off as a mental case!!

MY 2 Cents and I stand by it.

EDIT TO ADD: Some of the quotes from sources are true, but the dates are assumed that they happened earlier then they did. For example...it is true that AM slept outside on the cold ground, but the possession was taking place at that time, she just wasn't in FULL POSSESSION STATE. That is one that people seem to over look. A person doesn't go from a few months to full possession, sometimes it can take 10 years to become fully possessed.

The Church has a reason to discourage AM claim that she was possessed. After all it was in court the Church wants everyone to forget about it. It puts a bad light on the Church not only because it was in Court but that the exorcism was a failure too. Not to mention also the Church constantly denies possession cases and goes out of their way to cover them up. A few priest have brought forward their notes, tapes and experiences over the years to give the common person who keeps an open mind to be able to put things together.

Edited by LeraG

There isn't much information on the WEB about AM, but if you really take the time and research it you can find a lot of information that most of the websites people are quoting here don't have. Once you have done that, most that do not believe she was possessed would change their mind.

I know a poster here and will not mention the name did just that. Spent a lot of time digging through and sorting out fact from hersay. A lot of it had to be translated also. For people just to pass it off as she was mental to me shows that they didn't research but rather taken the word from the Movie or websites that got their information from that movie. Not only researching AM case, when you read about other known documented Possession cases one would come to see a pattern that isnt' widely known to the average person. Even to the Church going Religious types.

It all came down to one question for me. AM was sufferring from sever dehydration, and if you read about what a body goes through during that time, and then from the research about things she did during the last days, how can one come to terms with how she was able to have strenght to even hold up her head, but yet she did a great more physical activity then just get up and walk around.

Some people just do not want to believe in Possession at all. This is because if they believe in it, that means they would have to be responsible for themselves. Something in this day and age that many refuse to do.

I am not trying to convience anyone but rather I wish people would take a lot more time researching before they write AM off as a mental case!!

MY 2 Cents and I stand by it.

EDIT TO ADD: Some of the quotes from sources are true, but the dates are assumed that they happened earlier then they did. For example...it is true that AM slept outside on the cold ground, but the possession was taking place at that time, she just wasn't in FULL POSSESSION STATE. That is one that people seem to over look. A person doesn't go from a few months to full possession, sometimes it can take 10 years to become fully possessed.

The Church has a reason to discourage AM claim that she was possessed. After all it was in court the Church wants everyone to forget about it. It puts a bad light on the Church not only because it was in Court but that the exorcism was a failure too. Not to mention also the Church constantly denies possession cases and goes out of their way to cover them up. A few priest have brought forward their notes, tapes and experiences over the years to give the common person who keeps an open mind to be able to put things together.

Awesome post! :tu:

According to the transcripts she was doing over 600 "knee bends" a day even up to the day she died. Considering her physical state this does not seem plausible-

You have an interesting perspective: if one is to acknowledge evil it would seem only appropiate to say they are less likely to adhere to it. :devil::innocent:

You have an interesting perspective: if one is to acknowledge evil it would seem only appropiate to say they are less likely to adhere to it. :devil::innocent:

Absolutely!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Makes no sense to me to hide that stuff when God certainly made no attempt to hide it in the Bible.

:no: You know that is a very Loud Statement, If God puts words in the bible.

You are impling that he also adds and or removes words from it as well.

Or perhaps maybe you are impling that God wrote the bible, but I have a problem with that.

If the Bible comes from God, Why are there so many diffrent bibles? Come on face it man writes the bible and only man distors it.

Realistically I have to disagree with you I don't think God has to write anything for us to know is true. The first step for man to know he is in fact becoming a smarter being is to acknowledge that man does not know. becasue admitting to not knowing the topic is knowing the truth. Therefore, the truth lies within us. We always carry the truth, we just don't know it and we don't spend enough time talking to our selves trying to find that connection between the mind and the soul. I assure you the truth will not be found in a book because it lies within us.

lame

I saw 'The Exorcist' when I was in High School. A friend and I skipped class and went to the Uptown theatre in Wash. D.C. which is located right next door to the house used in the film. It was the scariest movie I'd ever seen and really effected me. After the film we walked out into the rainy, dreary day and stood at the steps where the priest landed and broke his neck. Man that was creepy. Anyway, after seeing 'The Exorcism of Emily Rose' and learning that it was based on actual events and characters, I looked up the name Anneliese Michel on the net. When I saw her picture I was literally moved to tears. I believe these things to be real. After all, if you believe in God, you most likely believe in the Devil. I've had first hand experiences with spirits, ghosts or whatever you wish to call them, so this does not surprise me in the least. I write poetry and a large portion of my work focuses on the spirit world, afterlife, influences of evil, etc. I wrote a piece entitled; 'Anneliese' shortly after reading of her. Anyone interested in reading it can find it at Poetry.com under T Owen Stark.

post-44017-1161045030.jpg

I for one know that the recordings are true.

They did not use the real recordings in the movie, the family did not allow this.

I recently went to a paranormal investigation lecture, where John Zaffis discussed his exorcisms experiences and such.

He has one of the 63 recordings of the exorcism.

It was the scariest sh** I have ever encountered.

It was the actual and authentic recording of it. It was given to him for research before he could perform exorcisms. It was really old, you can tell by the look and feel of it. Very 1970s.

She did indeed speak in german, I know some german myself so I was able to translate some of it. But not only was she speaking in german but other tongues as well. It was very real.

Look up John Zaffis and email him yourself. He will tell you.

• 1 month later...

I thought The Excorcism of Emily Rose was a great film. Is there an official website about the real case - Anneliese Michel - that anybody knows of?

There are no official websites dedicated to AM, but there is at least one dedicated to "Emily Rose". Yahoo search will provide a slew of hits, for both names.

This one has pictures of the real AM, during the course of her possession. http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/emilyrose.php