Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rap star attacks Bush at benefit

Faeden

Hip-hop star Kanye West criticised President Bush's response to Hurricane Katrina at a televised benefit concert in New York on Friday.

The show, which raised funds for relief efforts, featured Leonardo DiCaprio, Richard Gere, Glenn Close, Harry Connick Jr and Wynton Marsalis.

user posted image

Kanye West's comments were cut from a recorded version of the show

But West told the audience: "George Bush doesn't care about black people."

The comment went out live on the US east coast, but was cut from a taped version seen on the west coast.

West also claimed the US was set up "to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off as slow as possible".

He appeared alongside comedian Mike Myers for a 90-second segment which began with Myers speaking of the devastation Katrina has caused to southern states of the US.

But to Myers' surprise, West departed from his script and said: "I hate the way they portray us in the media. If you see a black family, it says they're looting. See a white family, it says they're looking for food."

Cut off

He conceded "the Red Cross is doing everything they can", but said authorities were deliberately holding up getting aid to the Gulf coast.

West was cut off mid-speech after he criticised Mr Bush, and the cameras switched to comedian Chris Tucker.

There has been widespread criticism of the US government's response to the storm, which struck on Monday. The scale of the casualties is not yet known, but tens of thousands of people remain in the devastated city of New Orleans while 75,000 people have been forced to take shelter in neighbouring Texas.

NBC, which broadcast the event, said "it would be most unfortunate if the efforts of the artists and the generosity of millions of Americans are overshadowed by one person's opinion".

Country star Tim McGraw, who is from Louisiana, sang two songs and said: "I know the citizens that weren't affected by this are gonna stand up and do good things for people."

Aaron Neville - who, like Connick Jr and Marsalis, is from New Orleans - performed Randy Newman's Louisiana 1927 with the chorus "they're trying to wash us away, they're trying to wash us away".

Actresses Hilary Swank and Lindsay Lohan also took part in the concert, while New York governor George Pataki presented the Red Cross with a cheque for $2.5 million (£1.3m) with a promise of further assistance.

Found HERE

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nxt2Hvn

• jerrylambert

• Faeden

• NJC

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I saw that. Poor Mike Meyers didn't know what to do. I hope they arrested that guy. Chris Tucker always there to save the day.

Jerry

He also said that the government has given the go ahead to "Shoot Them". I am assuming he meant the ones who were shooting at military helicopters.

What does he expect? A flippin block party?

Jerry

And of course ... he is black himself!!!

Once again.. a black person causing racial tension... remarks he made just makes racism more of an issue here in the U.S.

Would have been the same response time if New Orleans was full of white people.... this is NOT a racial issue.... SO SAD!! hmm.gif

Yeah I saw that. Poor Mike Meyers didn't know what to do. I hope they arrested that guy. Chris Tucker always there to save the day.

Jerry

825401[/snapback]

Who should be arrested and why? I thought you guys where proud of freedom of speech....

Yeah it was a bit stupid to say that at times like this, but Bush should have known that reacting the way he has would cause racial tension (which it has)

Yeah... but you know what I am dreading... All the people that are going to try to put law suits against the federal government and president Bush himself..

Not to sound hateful... but it is usually the poor that do stuff like this.... most people that lost their homes were already on government living funds... and I am sure they will all think they are entitled to free houses.... free food.. free everything.

And all it will do is make me feel like they don't need any assistance at all!!!

But let me stop counting my chickens before they hatch.... That is going to be a whole new thread though... just wait and see!

The guy was trying to incite riots. He basicly said that the President was killing black people. They arrested Axel Rose for much less.

Jerry

I hope they arrested that guy.

mad.gif what? all he did was speak his mind. He is entitled to his opinion.

you know I doubt thats the only reason he made those comments...

Most of the black people I saw had jobs, stop stereotyping black people. I can imagine some of the white people where on benefits too. Do they not deserve assistance too ? no.gif

Honestly, something like this could start a revolution. It depends on how the media handles it. That is why we don't need people getting on TV and making up stuff. The order to shoot was an order to shoot back. These idiots are down there shooting the people who are trying to help them.

They are burning what is left of the homes, they showed police officers stealing from Wal-Mart, there have been multipal rapes. They have basicly lost all sense of civilization in a matter of days.

And yes, it appears that these culprits are all black.

Jerry

Edited by jerrylambert

Most of the black people I saw had jobs, stop stereotyping black people. I can imagine some of the white people where on benefits too. Do they not deserve assistance too ?  no.gif

825447[/snapback]

Not stereotyping anyone... but it is a fact that the part of New Orleans that was flooded are poor.. wherein my post did I mention anything about "black people"? Here read it again!!!

Yeah... but you know what I am dreading... All the people that are going to try to put law suits against the federal government and president Bush himself..

Not to sound hateful... but it is usually the poor that do stuff like this.... most people that lost their homes were already on government living funds... and I am sure they will all think they are entitled to free houses.... free food.. free everything.

And all it will do is make me feel like they don't need any assistance at all!!!

But let me stop counting my chickens before they hatch.... That is going to be a whole new thread though... just wait and see!

I said POOR... you read into it!! And yes I don't care what their race is... black, white, purple.. or plaid... if they try to sue... I will feel the same way! thumbsup.gif

These isiots are down there shooting the people who are trying to help them.

No a small minority of evil ass holes are. You can blame the black people down there for that. I bet you have a minority of whites causeing crap too.

Also .. have you heard .. that the upscale mall is now on fire... under suspicious circumstances...

Police caught looters in there... and they are saying they believe that those people started the fire.

Don't know what their race is.. and don't care... They are TRASH in my opinion.. for causing more trouble ...and hendering rescue efforts.

But it does show you the "class" of people that they are dealing with!

Edited by Nxt2Hvn

Hell, bring on the revolution. This right here shows that it will never end.

The truth is as plain as day, but we are racist for stating it.

I will go ahead and stand by the truth and let all of the opportunistics take advantage of a tragedy for their own social issues.

Jerry

wherein my post did I mention anything about "black people"?

Lets see....

Once again.. a black person causing racial tension... remarks he made just makes racism more of an issue here in the U.S.

There

And you said that most of the people down there are black, so when you said this.........

Most people in the south are black people, as was already stated. You where talking about black people.

All the best

Faeden

It is a lot like Hotel Rwanda down there at the Superdome. They really did get all of the white people out first.

Jerry

825464[/snapback]

It has looked like that from the get go!.. Not many white people were there in the first place... well not that I have seen on TV anyway

Why not look at the % of the homeless acorss the south, instead of the % of the New Orleans population?

Yeah, I mean that is who is there, black people. It was a hurricane, God if you will. Not the government, not the military, but Mother Nature.

But as it is, it's just whitey keeping the black man down.

Jeezz, I'm so sick of hearing that.

Jerry

Unfortunately the highest percentage of people in New Orleans living in poverty are coloured people.

I'm sure it would have been easy for those with abit of money to get out easily in time before the storm, but it's much more difficult when you don't have any money or a car etc. And that is why on TV most of the people you see are coloured, they are the ones who couldn't get out, even with the warning.

wherein my post did I mention anything about "black people"?

Lets see....

There

And you said that most of the people down there are black, so when you said this.........

Most people in the south are black people, as was already stated. You where talking about black people.

All the best

Faeden

825467[/snapback]

Well excue me.. since I didnt' take time to spell it out for you! rolleyes.gif

"POOR" people.. black or white.. or any color... if they think they are entitled to everything being given to them... just because they are poor.... just so happens.. as you have seen... yes.. most in New Orleans "are" black... but I include all races in that statement!!

There!

Why not look at the % of the homeless acorss the south, instead of the % of the New Orleans population?

825471[/snapback]

But it is New Orleans we are talking about here... Not the homeless across the South...

BTW.. I am in the South.. and have been all my life!.... And I feel the same about any able bodied person that is homeless... most "Chose" to be homeless..

My X husband's brother is homeless by choice... he had a home.. and a good job.. and a wife.. and left it one day to move to Miami.. to live in a paper box!!