Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Clever whale uses fish to catch seagulls

UM-Bot

killerwhale.jpg
An enterprising young killer whale at Marineland has figured out how to use fish as bait to catch seagulls — and shared his strategy with his fellow whales. Michael Noonan, a professor of animal behavior at Canisius College in Buffalo, N.Y., made the discovery by accident while studying orca acoustics.

"One day I noticed one of the young whales appeared to have come up with a procedure for luring gulls down to the pool," the professor said.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Yahoo! News

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• AztecInca

• ROGER

• Richdog

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard in Nature many animals teach their young food gathering skills. The chimpanzee teaches fishing Ants out of ant hills using a stick. The Dolphins recently reported to use sponges to protect their noses while search for clams. And birds like Hawks teaching the next generation to hunt.

I think it some times dulls the line between Instinct and Intelligents.

It is indeed amazing what some of the creatures we share this planet with are capable of and it just shows how they deserve far more respect than they currently recieve from most humans.