Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black Holes

Royal Soldier

I was reading up on some theories about black holes earlier and I thought this might be an interesting topic for you guys to discuss.

Okay, to get the ball rolling for people new to this concept:

A black hole is a point, or a tear shall we say, in spacetime that has been cause by a giant-fast burning star collapsing on itself to form a super-dense area in the spacetime that has an infinite density in an extremely small volume (the black part of the hole is only around 15 miles in diameter on average). This object with so much density and with growing density all the time, warps time itself and with the extremly high gravity (of 10,000 million suns [or so I've read]) not even light can escape from a hole, giving it it's black "colour". So with the escape velocity higher than the speed of light, NOTHING will be escaping, since according to 'Einstein's Theory Of Relativity' nothing is faster than light.

The balls rolling a little faster now, let's see where this goes:

Black Holes; Unescapable Oblivions or...something else. Share your ideas!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Homer

• PurpleStuart

• antares

• Royal Soldier

Top Posters In This Topic

One, correct me if i'm wrong, but a black hole is not a tear. Two if i remember correct they have recently discovered that some matter or energy is infact expelled from black holes - will have to check that up again tho.

are you refering to this Purple?

The material heats up due to this friction [this is the same effect as when you rub your hands together to warm them up]. When this happens around a black hole, X-rays are given off which we can detect. If the black hole is really large and has lots of debris in its disc, then it can reveal itself as one of the brightest objects in the Universe - a quasar.

I thought that black holes were collapsed stars?

PS,

What you are referring to is called Hawking Radiation. This isn’t really matter escaping from a black hole, but it does appear that way. These are the result of virtual particles ‘popping up’ into existence near a black hole. VP’s always come in pairs, a positive and a negative, and the black hole typically absorbs the negative particle, while the positive ‘escapes’. So matter does not escape, or get expelled from, black holes.

What you are referring to is called Hawking Radiation. This isn’t really matter escaping from a black hole, but it does appear that way. These are the result of virtual particles ‘popping up’ into existence near a black hole.

I read somewhere that these virtual particles represent the energy extracted from the gravitational field of a black hole. Does it mean that the Hawking Radiation cause black holes to change their mass?

Yes. As the negative particle gets pulled into the black hole, it annihilates a positive particle that is already in the black hole mass. If you’ve read about the evaporation of black holes, this is what they are referring to.

However, as black holes eat gases and other forms of matter, it more than replenishes the VP threat.

Aha, makes sense. Thanks, Homer!

I glanced through some articles online and the amazing thing I learned was that for a massive black hole (30 solar mass) the evaporation time is extremely long - about 10^61 times the age of the Universe. Practicly they will last forever dontgetit.gif

Yes thats probably what i was thinking about Homer, thanks, but i remember also seeing a diagram somewhere showing matter being expelled (possibly repelled?) from a black hole (in a thin 'beam'), but it is quite likely that it's my recollection thats at fault and it could of been a different object, not a black hole that was displaying this reaction. Any ideas what i'm thinking of?