Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canadian Ships on there Way

Thanato

Canadian ships sail to aid hurricane victims

Prime Minister Paul Martin and David Wilkins, the U.S. ambassador to Canada, were dockside in Halifax Tuesday as four ships loaded with emergency supplies prepared to head for the U.S. Gulf Coast.

Three navy ships and a Canadian Coast Guard vessel are expected to reach Louisiana in about five days. They are being joined by several Sea King helicopters.

One thousand Canadian Forces and coast guard personnel are aboard. They're are bringing provisions including clean water, massive tents, cots, body bags, assault boats, lumber, pollution cleanup equipment, bug spray, and even diapers and baby wipes.

Navy officials were not sure how long the mission will last. Planes will continue to replenish supplies once the ships are in waters off Louisiana.

Canadian navy divers have also been dispatched from Halifax and Esquimalt, B.C. They will help their U.S. counterparts clear navigational hazards such as loose barges and inspect New Orleans' damaged levees.

HMCS Athabaskan sits in port in Halifax, Monday. (CP Photo/Halifax Daily News/Jeff Harper))

Although the current emphasis is on basic supplies, Canada could consider sending more sophisticated equipment, such as mobile hospitals.

The aid is coming from stockpiles set aside as part of the Canadian military's own disaster preparedness plans.

Some of the Canadian crew said they were anxious about the assignment, since the mayor of New Orleans has predicted as many as 10,000 people may have died in the hurricane and flooding.

Source

~Thanato

*EDIT* Oops my bad, put it in the wrong section, can a Mod put it in the world events section please, and delete this edit tongue.gif

Edited by Thanato

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MedicTJ

• The Silver Thong

• Super Pancake

• Thanato

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's in the wrong section...that's okay. I've done that numerous times in my years here. No biggie.

But as for the post itself, why should Canada bother now?

It's like one of your buddies getting jumped by a bunch of people, then walking away from it....and all of a sudden you decide to lend a helping hand when he's well out of danger.

They're sending ships from Halifax NOW? Turn 'em back. Save Canada some money.

Edited by MedicTJ

I'm sorry to seem so disrespectful, but this is simply ridiculous.

If Canada were going to help us, they could have helped 2 weeks ago. Telling me that they've got "ships on the way" when it's well after the fact is completely insulting.

It makes me even more angry than I already am about this mess.

Tell your ships to stay home.

Canada offered help over a week ago, we can not just send ships down with out the U.S athority saying its ok. It took your goverment a week to give the ok for help to come in. Oh maybe it was because you President was on vacation your right let's call our help back. holy ****. typical american

Had to add we had many planes waiting to enter your country with ton's of aid we were not asked and there for can not enter your country with military personal till the ok is given,by your goverment, your goverment hesitated way to long.

Edited by The Silver Thong

the day after we sent down a crew and they saved over 300 people with the canadian flag over one of you fire stations, they just got back home today, with more help then you know of,and more to come we are not to late you are

MedicTJ

Even Cuba has a team of doctors ready to go assist, I don't think its likely they will get the green light. I think it was a cnn source over 32 nations are offering help to us but bureaucracy in our government is holding the aid back, probably only half the help has been approved so far. sad.gif

Edited by Super Pancake

Thank you, Canada! You guys rock! grin2.gifthumbsup.gifyes.gif

MedicTJ

Even Cuba has a team of doctors ready to go assist, I don't think its likely they will get the green light. I think it was a cnn source over 32 nations are offering help to us but beuracracy in our government is holding the aid back, probably only half the help has been approved so far. sad.gif

831046[/snapback]

I saw that on the news they are willing to send ton's of medical supplies but can't why?

Let bygones be bygones. shake hands already

I for one don't have much my self but hell I can help take care of a few survivors, canada would be more the willing. Let the planes come further north. We can house many.

Canada offered help over a week ago, we can not just send ships down with out the U.S athority saying its ok.  It took your goverment a week to give the ok for help to come in. Oh maybe it was because you President was on vacation your right let's call our help back. holy ****. typical american

Had to add we had many planes waiting to enter your country with ton's of aid we were not asked and there for can not enter your country with military personal till the ok is given,by your goverment,  your goverment hesitated way to long.

831024[/snapback]

i agree. should just call them back now

Canada offered help over a week ago, we can not just send ships down with out the U.S athority saying its ok.  It took your goverment a week to give the ok for help to come in. Oh maybe it was because you President was on vacation your right let's call our help back. holy ****. typical american

Had to add we had many planes waiting to enter your country with ton's of aid we were not asked and there for can not enter your country with military personal till the ok is given,by your goverment,   your goverment hesitated way to long.

831024[/snapback]

i agree. should just call them back now

831065[/snapback]

No that was me being angry we need to send all we can, and we deffinitly need to send some more, america is hurt and we can help,let's do it thumbsup.gif

Now i really didn't know if i should have started another thread, but the Mexican navy is also sending aid.

MEXICO CITY – A Mexican Navy ship loaded with personnel and equipment was scheduled to depart Monday for New Orleans carrying aid for areas affected by Hurricane Katrina.

The ship Papaloapan will carry food, amphibious vehicles and helicopters for search-and-rescue efforts, as well as a medical team, said Foreign Relations Secretary Luis Ernesto Derbez.

"What the Papaloapan will do is transport (eight) all-terrain vehicles, and we are also sending seven amphibious vehicles for transporting and rescuing people, an ambulance and two helicopters," Derbez told local media.

The ship was expected to arrive in New Orleans sometime late Wednesday.

Derbez said Mexico has started setting up consular offices in trailers around the disaster zone to help some of the estimated 140,000 Mexicans who live in the region, 10,000 of them in New Orleans.

Also Monday, the Foreign Relations Department said in a press statement that three Mexican citizens had died during Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath.

On Sunday, the department had reported four Mexicans dead. However, on Monday it said one of them had survived and was listed in serious condition at a hospital in Marrero, Louisiana.

The four were together in the city of Harvey, Louisiana, where the three people apparently died as the result of inhaling carbon monoxide fumes. Local media reported the exhaust fumes from a portable generator unit.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/...us-katrina.html

It took me some time to find a website that wasn't in Spanish, so this data is a little old. Just by a day or 2.

Well I'm very grateful of all the nations that are helping us, even our so call enemy the Cuban's.

Well I'm very grateful of all the nations that are helping us, even our so call enemy the Cuban's.

831082[/snapback]

As a Canadian cuban's are pretty cool went ther for a holiday and they love the State's REALLY.

I have read that afganistan has even given money, that's cool.

^Cuba offered to send 1600 doctors and the US refused I just heard on the radio during the news bulletin.

Anyone have any information on that?

Now i really didn't know if i should have started another thread, but the Mexican navy is also sending aid.

Now THIS is something that is completely plausible.

Just strap some relief supplies to the millions that cross the border every single day.

That'll help.

And as for the Canadians in this thread saying that it's the U.S. government that was keeping your people from helping.....fine.

I'm all for bashing my own government over their lack of competency.

All I'm saying is that to act like you're our saving grace and that your "help" is on the way is insulting. Completely insulting.

Like you have to save us? You'll make it all better?

Gimme a friggin break.

And I'm sorry for sounding so rude. We're all frustrated. The President that I supported screwed things up. People are dying.

And now for someone to say, "Help is on the way from Nova Scotia" is almost laughable.

It took nearly a week for the ships that Bush sent all too late to get to the gulf coast from Norfolk, VA. So how long will it take for the ships to be sent from Halifax?

2 weeks.

By that time, what good can they do? Everything else is already in place.

It's a wasted trip, IMO.

And as for the Canadians in this thread saying that it's the U.S. government that was keeping your people from helping.....fine.

All I'm saying is that to act like you're our saving grace and that your "help" is on the way is insulting.  Completely insulting. 

Like you have to save us?  You'll make it all better?

Gimme a friggin break.

831097[/snapback]

WoW check out your attitude, what an ungrateful,little s**t you are, any help from anyone no matter what will help. It's people like you that are not helping!!!! if you want to keep up with your self ritious attitude go for it,like it's going to help.

I'v read your posts in the past Medic and I'm surprised really

And I'm sorry for sounding so rude.  We're all frustrated.  The President that I supported screwed things up.  People are dying. 

And now for someone to say, "Help is on the way from Nova Scotia" is almost laughable.

It took nearly a week for the ships that Bush sent all too late to get to the gulf coast from Norfolk, VA.  So how long will it take for the ships to be sent from Halifax?

2 weeks.

By that time, what good can they do?  Everything else is already in place.

It's a wasted trip, IMO.

831100[/snapback]

Bush said it could take up to 2 years to rebuild if at all, we are comming to help re-build,give aid,doctors,medicine,engineers,nurses,food, dipares, formula,antibiotics, can you say you don't nee these things living in Indiana??????

I had to add medic knows nothing living in Indiana, so far away and judgementel

All I'm saying is that to act like you're our saving grace and that your "help" is on the way is insulting.  Completely insulting. 

Gimme a friggin break.

831097[/snapback]

WoW check out your attitude, what an ungrateful,little s**t you are, any help from anyone no matter what will help. It's people like you that are not helping!!!! if you want to keep up with your self ritious attitude go for it,like it's going to help.

831102[/snapback]

An ungrateful little s**t I am?

I offered to give up my vacation time to go and help for free, only to be denied by my municipality.

And I'm sorry for sounding so rude.  We're all frustrated.  The President that I supported screwed things up.  People are dying. 

It took nearly a week for the ships that Bush sent all too late to get to the gulf coast from Norfolk, VA.  So how long will it take for the ships to be sent from Halifax?

2 weeks.

By that time, what good can they do?  Everything else is already in place.

It's a wasted trip, IMO.

831100[/snapback]

Bush said it could take up to 2 years to rebuild if at all, we are comming to help re-build,give aid,doctors,medicine,engineers,nurses,food, dipares, formula,antibiotics, can you say you don't nee these things living in Indiana??????

I had to add medic knows nothing living in Indiana, so far away and judgementel

831106[/snapback]

LOL! I know nothing? I've taken a gang member to an emergency room in Gary, IN...and while I went back to the ambulance to clean up the blood....saw the enemy gang storm the hospital ER to finish the guy off.

Indiana ain't just all cornbread and beans, dude.

Now THIS is something that is completely plausible.

Just strap some relief supplies to the millions that cross the border every single day.

That'll help.

Now what the hell does illegal immigrants have to do with Mexico sending aid to the United States?

Now i know that illegal immigration is a problem in the United States, but none of that matters right now. The simple fact is that Mexico is sending help to the United States. And i am sure if that Hurricane would have kept on going west and hit Mexico the United States would be sending help.

And you would have bet your last peso you wouldn't have seen me talking about how American companies have pushed the Mexican wages to a 20 year low, or how American farmers have outproduced Mexican farmers making over 1.5 million farms to go under. No sir, I would have nodded in appreciation and do what ever i could to help my falling countrymen.

Gimme a friggin break.

831097[/snapback]

831102[/snapback]

An ungrateful little s**t I am?

I offered to give up my vacation time to go and help for free, only to be denied by my municipality.

831108[/snapback]

Thats great 1000 military(canadian) left today, and over five hundred from calgary alone left today,taking time off work so your comments about aid to new orleans is unjustified, oh by the way why didn't you go?

Had to add if a gang banger shoots another and you save him, what have you done for youe community except save a gangbanger that shoots innocents your a hero rolleyes.gif