Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghosts are caused by gas

Agent_21

A short (5 mins) feature on BBC Southern Counties Radio last Friday evening opened with his latest theory that ghosts may be due to natural gas escaping from the ground. Dr Wiseman was not interviewed, but will expound his theory in a television program next month. (No other details so probably not BBC.)

Apparently Dr W has found that 'many' (no figures given) haunted sites lie on fault lines through which gas escapes thereby causing the air disturbance, chills and funny smells which can be mistaken for ghostly occurrences.

Phil Walton of ASSAP was briefly interviewed and mentioned that this was not a new theory and, though it may have a bearing on some cases, he would have expected areas with a greater proneness to tremors or earthquakes to be more haunted, which they aren't.

The article ended with a short vox pop in which the anti-ghosts seemed to be in the majority on this occasion. One woman made an extraordinary claim that 'there are no ghosts, but evil spirits impersonate dead people to trick living people into becoming interested in the spirit world'. ohmy.gif

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• uranium101

• PurpleStuart

• Aslan

• Diabolicalasticatrociousism

U101 - it's hardly cased dissmissed. There is nothing to say that this theory doesn't account for some ghost sightings.

One woman made an extraordinary claim that 'there are no ghosts, but evil spirits impersonate dead people to trick living people into becoming interested in the spirit world'

How someone can disbelieve ghost but yet believe in the spirit world is quiet beyond me - most bizarre, there is no accounting for some folk grin2.gif

humans like making up theories about things that may not exist... like RODS...

Rods definately don't exist.

Making up a theory is one thing -it's the proving it which counts.

nice point, diablo-something something. huh.gif anyway, this wise guy has no proof for his theory, and only SOME of the haunted areas are over gas holes and stuff. CASE DISMISSED. mad.gif

You really should try to be a bit more open minded u101. Just because a theory doesn't agree with what you believe doesn't make it incorrect, just disputed. What proof do you have that where there is natural gas escaping from the ground that his theory is wrong?

this wise guy has no proof for his theory... CASE DISMISSED.

Go and have a look at some of your posts uranium101. For example, the post about finding a fossilised plant on the moon, or the post about vegatarians being 23% more susceptible to cancer, or the post about neolithic man never going bald, or indeed, the post about your good self chasing a thieving alien through suburbia on your pushbike...go and peruse those little gems, then look at that quote of yours.

The pot, young man, does call the kettle black.

A quick, serious question here Uranium, do you by chance at all read Weekly World News?

Ad by that question, I do not mean anything nasty or mean.

never heard of it. and by the way aslan, i said they found a fossilized of MARS. i got from my ENGLISH teacher. but she reads tabloids, so it could not be real. and i could have sworn i read that vegetarians between 20-30% are at a higher risk of cancer. but i could be wrong. (same english teacher) so there you go. grin2.gif

and by the alien stealing the picture, that was a DREAM. did i not post that it was? oh sorry, my bad. disgust.gif anyway, that picture did go away and came back, which is a little odd never the less. alien.gif

Well there you go then. Apologies. I didn't realise.

English teachers, eh. Worthless apologies for humanity, the lot of 'em.

And it was a dream was it. Sheesh. Often easy to forget these incidental points, isn't it?

Anyway, it has been brought to my notice that I am a touch off, shall we say, in my dealings with you. So from this point forward, uranium101, you can post any fabricated claptrap that you so desire, and I will not respond(*)

(*)This arrangement subject to claptrappiness of fabricated claptrap actually posted.

it was a dream, okey dokey? no excuses. thumbsup.gif you like giving me a hard time, don't you? disgust.gif

then explain ghosts in forests where there is no gas around

Nobody has said that this explains ALL ghosts, just that as a theory it may explain some.

I am, however, puzzled by your choice of terrain - i hadn't realised that forests and gas were mutually exclusive grin2.gif

Ta Crosis

I don't think swamp gas accounts for all ghost sightings either, but I do believe that it counts for some. I also, however, think that the good doctor is trying too hard to explain away things he can't quite come to grips with.

laugh.gif If we had evidence then it wouldn't be unexplained! laugh.gif