Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA hiding Mars' true color?

QuantumE

Are you talking about this image Yelekiah?

user posted image

Image from Mars-Earth.com

They just mirrored one side of the "face", that makes it look symmetrical - not it's natural appearance. The original, unaltered (just contrast enhanced) image doesnt look symmetrical at all, it's just; rocky stuff. I dont think there is a face on mars. I also think that those "pyramids" may be natural formations and the lighting creates an illusion. That little dome anomaly looks *crowd gasp* fake! * crowd ohmy.gif   angry.gif * .

836708[/snapback]

No I was referring to an article not that specific image.

Is the "Face on Mars" a natural formation, or was it the work of something else? Discovered by the Viking mission in 1976, and reimaged by the Mars Global Surveyor, the controversy continues on whether the Face is a geologic landform or an artificial structure.

The "Face" is approximately one mile long, is very symmetrical...

Also this was in Newfrontiersincience.com

Analysis of Mars Odyssey THEMIS Imagery of the "D&M Pyramid"

Mark J. Carlotto

In April 2002 the Thermal Emission Imaging System (THEMIS) aboard the Mars Odyssey spacecraft acquired a 19 meter/pixel visible image over a region in Cydonia containing the Face, D&M Pyramid, and the eastern portion of the City. This new image provides the first fully illuminated view of the D&M Pyramid — a faceted landform south of the Face first imaged by Viking in 1976. The new THEMIS image shows the D&M Pyramid is a highly symmetrical object with striking similarities to other objects in Cydonia. The presence of two highly symmetrical objects — the Face and the D&M Pyramid — with completely different morphologies, less than 20 km apart, suggests the possibility that this collection of objects could be the eroded remains of ancient artificial structures on the Martian surface.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ancient Shoreline in Cydonia

Mark Carlotto (markjc@mindspring.com)

An analysis of a recent THEMIS multispectral image (20020724A.gif) acquired by the Mars Odyssey spacecraft over Cydonia provides further evidence that an ocean once existed to the north, and that the features known as the City and Face are located along what was once its shoreline. It is shown that there are three spectrally distinct regions that are spatially correlated with MOLA-derived elevation data. One region is correlated with the higher terrain to the south, another with the low-lying plains to the north, and a third with a transition zone between the two. From its topography, relationships to the terrain to the north and south, spectral characteristics, and morphology of its features, it is conjectured that this transition zone was once the shoreline. The City, Face, and D&M Pyramid all lie in this zone. As either shoreline features, or even possibly islands, their proximity to water provides a possible explanation for how these once-symmetrical structures could have been transformed into their present, collapsed and highly eroded, state.

Edited by Yelekiah

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yelekiah

• QuantumE

• Raptor

• indeed

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes I'm serious. Read it. It sais "investigation", and then talks about the JPL conference. It doesnt say the investigation is conducted by JPL or anything, it simply says that in the conference, JPL showed a picture with a blue sky.

Yes I'm serious. Read it. It sais "investigation", and then talks about the JPL conference. It doesnt say the investigation is conducted by JPL or anything, it simply says that in the conference, JPL showed a picture with a blue sky.

837486[/snapback]

"Investigation shows that there are several indications that the NASA is tampering with the colors, and changes them from an Earth-like environment into a red inhospitable environment. But it seems that the young scientists at Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) are not convenient with this.

Due to their investigation.

Edited by QuantumE

837486[/snapback]

"Investigation shows that there are several indications that the NASA is tampering with the colors, and changes them from an Earth-like environment into a red inhospitable environment. But it seems that the young scientists at Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) are not convenient with this.

837516[/snapback]

No, not due to their investigation, and not due to the websites investigation. The website did the investigation you speak of, and says that JPL (he believes) is not convenient with color tampering because they show a picture with a blue sky in one of their conferences.

837486[/snapback]

837516[/snapback]

No, not due to their investigation, and not due to the websites investigation. The website did the investigation you speak of, and says that JPL (he believes) is not convenient with color tampering because they show a picture with a blue sky in one of their conferences.

837593[/snapback]

Quote Stellar

"No, not due to their investigation, and not due to the websites investigation. The website did the investigation "

huh? blink.gif I say no more...

"No, not due to their investigation, and not due to the websites investigation. The website did the investigation "

I meant that its not due to their (JPL's) investigation on the colours because JPL didnt do that investigation thats being talked about.

837486[/snapback]

837516[/snapback]

837593[/snapback]

Quote Stellar

huh? blink.gif I say no more...

837634[/snapback]

You got to love Stellars lack of capability to 'step down'. thumbsup.gif

well right now on the front page of UM there was an article that said mars sand could contain up to 50% snow and ice. so maybe they were changing the colors. personally i dont really care that much, they're still telling us mostly everything.

Look at the article QuantumE posted earlier in this thread. The high-resolution photograph, not the original. High-res shows symmetry.

836562[/snapback]

Is this the link you mean?

http://www.mars-earth.com/newface.htm

The picture of the face is split in two and two new pictures are created. One of the new pictures was made by mirroring the left half and the other picture was made by mirroring the right half. Of course both pictures are perfectly symmetrical. There's no way they could be assymetrical. The two new pictures look very different from each other, which is proof that the original face is not symmetrical.

Furthermore, the author points to a "headdress" on the left photo. It's not there on the right photo. The "nose" on the left photo curls way up and looks nothing like a human nose, no matter how stylized. The "nose" on the right photo looks very different than the "nose" on the left photo.

Final edit:

I've been having browser troubles and didn't see the other posts addressing this issue. Sorry for covering old ground.

Edited by blizno

The myth about Cydonia should once and for all be put in the grave. Nothing but human mind's interpretation lies behind the illusion of the "Face". You see what you want to see, remember that.

As for the "Pyramids", they don't look enough like ones for me to believe it.

Look at the article QuantumE posted earlier in this thread. The high-resolution photograph, not the original. High-res shows symmetry.

836562[/snapback]

Is this the link you mean?

http://www.mars-earth.com/newface.htm

The picture of the face is split in two and two new pictures are created.

841935[/snapback]

When I said original, I meant the 1976 version. I'm not talking about the mirrored image( the picture is on the top and on other sites). I posted this earlier where I was referring to what scientist said were "symmetrical". Please look at my post with the article. I think you overlooked it.

The 'face' is no more symetrical than many natural features on Earth are. Likewise the so-called 'pyramids' - which bear an uncanny resemblance to............................................................................hills original.gif

The 'face' is no more symetrical than many natural features on Earth are.  Likewise the so-called 'pyramids' - which bear an uncanny resemblance to............................................................................hills original.gif

843206[/snapback]

ya but it seems that the sides are a bit slanted like a pyramid :/