Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Astronomers discover two more oddball objects

UM-Bot

news icon rWith delight and fascination, three astronomers who announced discovery of the solar system's "10th planet" in July told colleagues Thursday they had found two more equally bizarre objects flying far beyond the orbit of Pluto.

Although the peculiar orbits of all three could shed fresh light on the earliest epochs of the solar system's formation, the astronomers now concede that maybe it's best not to think of them as planets at all.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: sfgate.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yelekiah

• rane

• UM-Bot

• Universal Absurdity

Top Posters In This Topic

"'Santa is crazy, and it's my favorite -- by far the weirdest of the three,' Brown said. It is significantly larger than Pluto, it's shaped like a huge cigar, and it rotates end-over-end every four hours; it also has a single tiny moon about 60 miles in diameter orbiting around it."

That is such a strange cosmological anomaly. I wonder what the official name will be and what caused this.

xena santa and easterbunny ?? blink.gif

whats next? toothfairy? rolleyes.gif

anyway, its good to know that currrent technology is now capable of seeing such objects that are so far away.

Hmm... and all these were just discovered recently together

Maybe they are aliens from outta space comming in ships camoflaged as planets to invade us!

Hmm... and all these were just discovered recently together

Maybe they are aliens from outta space comming in ships camoflaged as planets to invade us!

836467[/snapback]

NOOOOOOO!!!

No seriously, I think Santa's closer to an elliptical "rock".

I guess all those people who said that Santa and the Easterbunny are real were right. original.gif

"'Santa is crazy, and it's my favorite -- by far the weirdest of the three,' Brown said. It is significantly larger than Pluto, it's shaped like a huge cigar, and it rotates end-over-end every four hours; it also has a single tiny moon about 60 miles in diameter orbiting around it."

That is such a strange cosmological anomaly. I wonder what the official name will be and what caused this.

836460[/snapback]

Well, if Santa is significantly larger than Pluto, and can't be called a planet, if they get any larger, I guess that we will have to stop calling Mercury a planet too! yes.gif

alien.gif

some planets can have distinct shapes like cigars...

when a planet is in a very strong gravitation orbit, the planet can start become mishapen and oval shaped...i'm guessing thats what happened with Snata...and then the planets holding it in its orbit eventually collided with the planet or maybe became SPUN out of orbit..

or something like that

anyone else here think they might be large astroids headed toward us?...*raises hand unsurely*

i REALLY hope its some planet full of extraterrestrial life floating towards us using their technology to become closer to our orbit by using their planet as a ship...

!!! alien.gif

836460[/snapback]

Well, if Santa is significantly larger than Pluto, and can't be called a planet, if they get any larger, I guess that we will have to stop calling Mercury a planet too! yes.gif

837080[/snapback]

...and earth... w00t.gif

836460[/snapback]

837080[/snapback]

...and earth... w00t.gif

837173[/snapback]

Earth is the largest planet of the 4 contained out of stone/rock

I agree with UA, its good to see we have the technological capability to spot such objects and it wont be long before we can have a good look at them with the advances in telescopic technology that are occuring.

A Monte Cristo tongue.gif