Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Effort Input to Enjoyment Output

Space Moose

For as long as I have had a monitor that had a degauss button, pressing it (the button, not the whole monitor) has been perhaps the silliest little pleasure in my life. Imagine, with one simple push you get all the fun of a silly picture on your computer, a spiffy noise and a rainbow of plesant colours - what a bargain!

Having degaussed three or four times in the past 10 minutes (not out of necessity) I was left wondering if anyone else shares this affinity for demagnetising a CRT. Or do you have something better that takes as little effort as this?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nancy

• PurpleStuart

• Space Moose

• connecian

Top Posters In This Topic

:(degauss button I guess I am not too smart.. what is that?? dontgetit.gif

Here is a handy link that not only tells you what a degauss button does, but shares my love of it's ability to make the screen dance.

If you don't have a button set aside for you monitor to degauss, like they say, it might be done automatically. It may also be in your monitor menu and it will be shaped like a little magnet with a line through it. I recommend trying if you never have.

OH OK.. I do not have one.. but my cell phone causes the magnetic lines when it rings and is by the computer

Thanks Space Moose original.gif

You are welcome, and you are welcome in advance for this tip: try to keep the phone away from the monitor. It causes those lines because the speaker is not shielded and it can mess up your monitor by pulling the electron guns out of place. If you don't completly understand what that means, just know that while it looks fun, it is a bad thing to do for extended periods.

If your monitor doesn't have a degauss button, fear not -- many new monitors automatically degauss themselves. If you have a flat-panel display, there is no degauss button because magnetism doesn't build up in flat screen displays.

Argggg..! I'm 'degaussless' and missing all the fun! Flat-panel screen

here, so NO 'dancing'........ Story of my life! whistling2.gif

yes, SM. i enjoy doing that myself. only my monitor doesnt have a degauss button, but if you push any 3 buttons at one time it does it automatically. back when i fried my other monitor, i would degauss it like every 3 minutes to try and see a little better. that's where i found my appreciation of it original.gif

yeah degaussing is fun!

also there are monitors for Sun stations whose controls are on a remote control.

I've had lots of fun it the past degaussing those screens or gradually rotating the image on the screen from a distance whilst a rather puzzled work colleague is trying to use that computer!

The moniter I'm using just now auto-degauses when it's turned on or off, but I used to have another one on which the degaussing circuit was broken, and the screen ended up permanently covered in a rainbow of colours. In the end I had to get rid of it because it was impossible to make out what colour anything was supposed to be.

here

Ah, I've been considering getting one of those. With the lack of desk space I have, an LCD screen would be a lot more handy than a chunky CRT grin2.gif

Yeah tell me about it, if it wasn't for ghosting on DVDs and First person shooters (and a lack of money grin2.gif ) i would've got rid of my 4 CRTs ages ago

here

Ah, I've been considering getting one of those. With the lack of desk space I have, an LCD screen would be a lot more handy than a chunky CRT grin2.gif

original.giforiginal.gif

Hey Boss? When you can swing it? Go for it!! Mine is NOT expensive..

Looked and searched til I found one on sale..... It has such definiton and

clarity....... Could never go back to the "old" style...... ever thumbsup.gif

N wink2.gif

Thats the power of suggestion for you grin2.gif

I just degaussed because you mentioned it.

snuffypuffer?? YOU did this and I missed it? Arggggggggg!!!

Next time? Send video!! wink2.gif

I don't get a pretty rainbow or a funny picture. Mine just pings off then back on again.

Degaussing on my monitor ain't no fun. crying.gif

rolleyes.gif

dAz