Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canadian Health System

wabbit

Look at it this way: In the US, a sick person is a potential client for a doctor . . . and the doctor will make money by treating that sick person. In the eyes of the doctor, that is a good thing. In countries with socialized medicine, the doctor gets paid the same regardless of the number of patients the doctor sees, sick or not. Sick people cut into his/her time, of which he/she has little enough of. In the eyes of the doctor, another sick person is a bad thing. Moreover, the government is the funding agency (albeit it with taxes paid) and a sick person is a cost to the system, another bad thing in the eyes of the government personnel. I would rather be seen by the medical care expert who I am dealing with as a plus to the profit center, than as a loss to the profit center.

My grandfather, a physician in family practice said to me, circa 1950, "If medical insurance becomes prevalent, ordinary people will not be able to afford medical care." He sure was right. yes.gif

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Skeptic Eric Raven

• StalingradK

• jeceris

• wabbit

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at it this way:  In the US, a sick person is a potential client for a doctor . . . and the doctor will make money by treating that sick person.  In the eyes of the doctor, that is a good thing.  In countries with socialized medicine, the doctor gets paid the same regardless of the number of patients the doctor sees, sick or not.  Sick people cut into his/her time, of which he/she has little enough of.  In the eyes of the doctor, another sick person is a bad thing.  Moreover, the government is the funding agency (albeit it with taxes paid) and a sick person is a cost to the system, another bad thing in the eyes of the government personnel.  I would rather be seen by the medical care expert who I am dealing with as a plus to the profit center, than as a loss to the profit center.

My grandfather, a physician in family practice said to me, circa 1950, "If medical insurance becomes prevalent, ordinary people will not be able to afford medical care."  He sure was right.  yes.gif

845845[/snapback]

that has to be the worst thing ever said about physicians and their profession.

so you're saying every dr here in canada sees his next patient as a burden.

you are simply wrong larry.

you do not understnad the system here, every patient the dr sees he gets paid for, the more he sees the more he gets paid. UNDERSTAND the system before criticizing it!!!he doesn't get one large salary regardless of how many or few patients he sees.

and that scares me, that you are comfortable with someone who sees you not for the malady you might need treated, but how much money can be made by him and his system of referals, and th fact maybe he's invested in an mri clinic and sends you for an unnecessary scan because he's gonna make more money.

you are simply wrong larry, and your grandfather didn't understand it either.

i think your hmo's have scared you into thinking you have it good and should be paying loads of dosh for health care. if you're not paying lots of money, then it can't be any good, right?

WRONG!

Good points Larry. thumbsup.gif

845848[/snapback]

no they weren't. he doesn't understand our system anyway.

All the doctors, nurses, paramedics etc i know do there job not because they need money and hate it, they do it because they love what they do and they like helping people. And as jeceris said understand the system before critisising it.

Personaly i would rather be treated in a Cuban hospitol then an American one. Just because the doctors know exactly what there doing and can do a damned good diognosis by touch.

~Thanato

Edited by Thanato

I wish that everyone that would rather go to Cuba for treatment then the US gets a chance to do just that.

Good comments Larry.

cel, larry's points were wrong.

he doesn't understnad our system, when he does he might be able to make an educated statement.

credit where credit is due cel, and larry missed it all together.

All the doctors, nurses, paramedics etc i know do there job not because they need money and hate it, they do it because they love what they do and they like helping people. And as jeceris said understand the system before critisising it.

Personaly i would rather be treated in a Cuban hospitol then an American one. Just because the doctors know exactly what there doing and can do a damned good diognosis by touch.

~Thanato

846655[/snapback]

When I was in nursing every nurse I knew hated their job. They liked helping people, but it was an extremely hard job and the were underpaid and overworked. They all wanted a way out but liked the job security. So don't tell me the all love their job.

How the hell do you know what I want out of life? I want the government to take care of things only they can give, I plan to have a damn good job and raise a family when I am older. I also plan on going to college and are already taking college courses, who's so fockin ambitious now. I also live in a good area, and I think everyone should have a chance of what I am doing. Unlike you who is so freaking greedy. You pretty much don't care about other people. You might be a special case with your messed up parents and living in poverty which I think is still BS. But not everyone is subjected to that. I really care about other human beings which is a damn lot more than I can say for you, ya evil monkey.

845721[/snapback]

who's more greedy, the guy who wants to keep the money he earned or the guy who wants the government to give him free things because he feels he deserves it? remember the government forces people to pay for these "free" things.

who's more greedy, the guy who wants to keep the money he earned or the guy who wants the government to give him free things because he feels he deserves it?  remember the government forces people to pay for these "free" things.

847456[/snapback]

actually, the point here is not greed... in Canada we pay for our Health Care through taxes, therefore, we are entitled to our services...

~Thanato

846655[/snapback]

When I was in nursing every nurse I knew hated their job. They liked helping people, but it was an extremely hard job and the were underpaid and overworked. They all wanted a way out but liked the job security. So don't tell me the all love their job.

846821[/snapback]

I'm a nurse and I love my job. The money is good, the prestige is wonderful and I love having to be quick physically and mentally every day.....I know alot of nurses and only a very, very, small percentage "hate " their jobs. It takes a special type of person to deal with illness, death and dying on a daily basis, and those who can not do so without treating all of their patients with dignity and respect are quickly ousted by the rest of us.

Thank You Mr. & Ms. Goverment

for my ****ty health care angry.gif

I love waiting a month to see my doctor

and when I do I love it when the shove medicine down my throat

and think that's the cure. I heard in other countries it's more personal attention rather then prescription consumption

Health care is not an accessory in life

it's something we cannot live without!

hmm.gif