Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

help please anyone who has dealt with this disease

cat_dewitt

I know that ordinarily this would not be a topic for sightings...but i could really use some help and i rather like this forum. So here goes...

My brother is extremely thin and he refuses to eat, he's actually thin enough to see his kidneys just a bit below the skin and i'm really getting worried. He's normally with his friends but i have threatened him with admitting him into the hospital if he doesn't start eating. I barely know him since both of us were separated when we were young, me through adoption him by his dad taking him. I have no idea how to handle this situation and words of wisdom would definitely be appreciated. Again forgive me for using this for medical reasons...but this is getting serious.

Cat

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cat_dewitt

• reese2

• snuffypuffer

• s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Top Posters In This Topic

Cat, it sounds like your brother is in some serious trouble, and I'd consider taking some drastic action. Have you talked to him about this? If he refuses to listen to you, I would take matters into my own hands for sure. He obviously needs help.

In Australia there is such a thing as a "Guardianship Order" it gives you as a sister a certain amount of power that you can enforce through the legal system (health service) where your brother is basically put into a hospital and force fed. Sounds drastic because it is. I imagine it goes for many countrys. First port of call is to go see your doctor immediately and ask him what can be done? You know your brother more than i so it is really down to you at the end of the day how you act. I trust you know for absolute certain that he is Anorexic? and not just very skinny?

Some people are. I know someone that has always been like a rake but eats regular. Just thought i would ask as i get the impression you have not seen him in a long time. Good luck original.gif

I am really very sorry to hear what you and your brother are going through. I just don't know what advice I can offer you, but to just love him, and try talking. I hope it works out with the both of you.

Reese

It might help if we could find out the reasoning behind his not eating. If it's because he wants to be 'attractive' I might be able to help. I work for a nutritional company who caters towards healthy eating for good health. Most people think that starving ones-self is the best way to lose weight, when in actuality, the best way is the eat more, but only 'clean foods'. Eliminating all Processed food, focusing strictly on lean meats and fresh vegetable. 5 meals a day. Sure my company sells supplements, but nutrition is stressed before supplementation.

If the problem is more along the lines of He's afraid of food or germs on the food or something of that type, professional help may be required. Thought maybe I could help...

if all doesn't work then force feed him... that's my only solution. i'm like a toothpick but i eat more than anyone else i know. alien.gif

There may be a medical reason like a malfunctioning thyroid, or might he be taking something that is supressing his appetite?

If it is anorexia it may be hard to treat as anorexics can be so negative. I'm not a medical expert so I'd suggest maybe contacting your own, or his, doctor and asking their advice. You might also enlist the help of his friends or a relative to put it to him that he doesn't look well and seeing his doctor might be a good idea; if he gets the all clear then he nothing to lose and can boast about how healthy he is to you all.

I don't know where you are located, so I don't know what local laws cover this area or what associations/societies might be helpful. In the UK there is an Eating Disorders Association. No doubt there is something similar where you are that may have a helpline. You could also try Healthboards.com to ask for advice.

I only met one anorexic - and she was an ex-anorexic. She said that she knew what was causing her eating disorder, but knowing didn't really help. Severe cases need expert help, usually in hospital, and the sooner help is sought the better.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I am so glad i posted this on this sight. You guys are awesome!!! Ok, i'm going to try to get as many replies to these things as possible.

1) I took him and a group of friends to the Olive Garden, and he ate 3 bites of his meal and gave the rest to the group. I don't think this constitutes as normal eating. My family that has lived with him longer has told me that he eats chips and that's it nothing more.

2) It's not that he thinks he's "fat", he knows he's too skinny but he refuses to eat, supposedly because it hurts. He's been to a doc and diagnosed with colonitis which can be deadly but refuses to take the meds he has to cure it. He's never home and always out with friends. i get the impression he no longer has a will to live. He's been through hell and back more times than i can count.

3) I think it has to do with his step mom...he won't read because of her, and a whole lot of other things, i have heard that he was starved as a kid, but it seems to be getting way out of hand.

4) He's skinny enough so that i actually see the kidneys pulsating beneath his skin...and i already threatened him with putting him in the hospital...now i see even less of him. I should have asked his friend if she's seen him eat...but right now i'm working on talking to his ex-wife to see how much he ate. Our whole family is worried about him.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLIES AND YOUR HELP!!!! EVEN THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE JUST GIVEN WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT IT IS APPRECIATED!!!!!!!! <HUGS TO ALL OF YOU WHO READ THIS!!!!!!>

Im a bit thin. But i DON'T think its life threatening. I hope.... dontgetit.gif