Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prove 2 + 2 = 5.

Pharoah

He is referring to numbers. Not sand. It would be different. TaintedDoughnuts earlier post should make sense to you.

Edited by Yelekiah

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yelekiah

• joc

• wabbit

• Pharoah

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually TD post didn't really make much sense either. Yeah..2 equals 2 if you don't have any fractions involved...Where on God's Grey Earth is the mind-squelching revelation in that? tongue.gif

When you use decimals it makes perfect sense that 2+2 doesn't exactly equal four. Is that hard to grasp?

Geeeeeeezzzz...

Okay let's start all over with the basics: 2 = 2

If you take a fraction and add it to 2, you don't have 2 anymore.

2.1 + 2 doesnot equal 4...it equals 4.1

The original question was about 2 + 2 not equaling 4. What is so mind boggling about decimals? What is hard for me to grasp is someone's inability to understand the difference between fractions and whole numbers. Two is a whole number. Two-point-one is a fraction.

Never mind ... I give up..there is little point in arguing against an idiotic premise.

Edited by joc

2 x 240,000 trillion billion will not end in .01 it will end in 0.

........even into infinitey.........it will end in 0

2 (way way way (a few trillion decimal places)) has to equal like 2.000000000000000000000000000000000001 or somethin' similar; sense nothing in this world (humans created it, and we arn't perfect) is perfect, that has to be the case.

Wrong. His premise is wrong. He is saying that man created numbers and therefore numbers are imperfect. And it doesn't take a genius to know that 2 an infinite number of decimal places later will end in 0 unless something else is added to it.

The real question here is Why am I even continuing posting in this thread when I should have been in bed hours ago? huh.gif

very well..................goodnite one and all........................

since everybody is all in a tizzy, i will post the errant proof to make you all dizzy!

a classic indeed.

-1/1 = 1/-1

Taking the square root of both sides: sqrt(-1/1) = sqrt(1/-1) (where "sqrt" denotes the square-root symbol which cannot be displayed on text-only browsers.)

Simplifying: sqrt(-1) / sqrt(1) = sqrt(1) / sqrt(-1)

In other words, i/1 = 1/i.

Therefore, i / 2 = 1 / (2i),

i/2 + 3/(2i) = 1/(2i) + 3/(2i),

i (i/2 + 3/(2i) ) = i ( 1/(2i) + 3/(2i) ),

(i^2)/2 + (3i)/2i = i/(2i) + (3i)/(2i),

(-1)/2 + 3/2 = 1/2 + 3/2,

and this shows that 1=2.

yes indeed, hyperactive.. that made me dizzy... blink.gif

ahem....................I slept............

.............and the square root of 1 is 1

This sure does belong in world of the bizarre hmm.gif

As far as I'm concerned 2 is 2 and 4 is 4. No need to overcomplicate things thumbsup.gif

Now I think I need a nap

What you are talking about was also talked about in our College math class.

What you have is abolute numbers and mesured numbers.

ex: Your desk is 30 inches wide. Well since it is mesured there is a % of error in your equation. Same as anything else that is mesured (I can post the math formula if anyone wants it)

But then if you tell me you have 2 desk in your room, that is an absolute number. It is 2 items.

So 2 + 2 = 4

if 2 and 2 are absolute numbers (2 apples + 2 apples)

but 2 + 2 might not equal exactly 4

if you have mesured numbers such as 2 degres + 2 degres or 2 litres + 2 litres (ex off my a few milimiter) but for simplicitie's sake we round up...

Edited by Netwolf111

Man, did I ever word THAT post wrong. grin2.gif

I got this idea to post somethin' like that from another site; I went back there to find it, but couldn't find it, so you will just have to go with my explanation grin2.gif

But forget about the 2 not bein' an equal number; that really wasn't what I was gettin' at.

And now, I'm as confused as you all.

Man wrote it, man... can't conquer O_o

I'm confused...