Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prove 2 + 2 = 5.

Pharoah

Hmm... well, I don't know... grin2.gif

I just don't know.

You say 2 + 2 = 4, I say 2 + 2 = 5,

2 + 2 = 4, 2 + 2 = 5,

Let's call the whole thing off!

grin2.gif

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yelekiah

• joc

• wabbit

• Pharoah

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

2 girls + 2 boys= 5 babies. Is that ok, Pharoah?

852437[/snapback]

Congrats, twins!

i can clarify,,

take a rope.

tie one know in it,

then another

then take a new rope,

and tie two new knots,

now tie the two ropes together,

how many knots are there?

I cant think of anything else.

The whole thing about numbers not being perfect is only in measurements. When you're just counting objects, the numbers are perfectly rounded... You can't have 2.1 apples, or 5.3 of a child. BUT, you can have a 2.1 centimeter apple, or a 5.3 meter child.

I am absolutely amazed that there are so many fundementally confused people in the world and to see this thread go this far...geeez! There IS a difference between Whole numbers and Real numbers guys and there IS a difference in the way they are used to quantify things as mentioned by Wingman in his post above; it's elementary school stuff.

*throws his hands up in the air*

Great...the one constant in my life, mathematics, ain't constant...I'm screwed...

Ok, I figured out another way to word this.

2 + 2 doesn't equal 4!

When I put 5 in the post, I was referring to everything else other than 4.

buy 2 pens then buy another 2 pens. Put them together and what do you have? .........................................

you get 8 :)

2 + 2 doesn't equal 4!

What are you on about? In the logical, mathematical world, 2+2=4. In the reality, it's also 4. However, when using a measurement for example and saying "this is 2cm", its probably not an absolute 2, but an approximate 2 (ex: 2.0000000000000000000000000123cm). This doesnt matter, however. When using the measurement 2cm in an equation, you're using 2 cm and not the absolute value, meaning the result is also approximate, not absolute.

Maybe in a philosophical sense, 2+2 can = 5.

In order for the equation 2+2=4 to be proven, it would require the perception of a human mind to create each numeric symbol and assign it a value. The human mind thus becomes the fifth value, making it (2+2)+1=5.

In the practical world, the +1 is left out of the equation in the same way time (4th dimension) is left out when measuring a 3 dimensional object.

Just a random thought. :)

Edited by theSOURCE

for gods sake 2+2=4 whats so hard about it??? grab 2 apples then go to the store and buy another 2 apples then go home throw em in a basket and count them! you dont see en extra apple do ya??? theres 4! Boo yaaaa FOUR apples ITS A CONSPIRACY!!!! I TELL YA!

This problem has plagued my mind for years. We are taught that 2=2, and is always a perfect number(e.g. in decimal form it would be 2.000000000000000000 Repeating). Of course, in the real world, when it comes to measuring length, time, angles, etc., it will never be exactly 2. It will be like 2.000000387438947389473892743892489732894, or similar. When it comes to 2 quarters+ 2 quarters, however, you can physically count 4 quarters there, without much more help than a finger. There won't be 4.00000000428492814928281492 quarters there, just 4 :)

BTW, Pharaoh, your example didn't make much sense :huh: Please enlighten us on how you got 5 :tu:

I understand now, dude! Measurements are the question. That should have been said in the first place.

Blessed be

May the Force be with you

Bunphrionsa

2 + 2 = 4, right?

No, not in all cases.

2 (beers) + 2 (ciggerates) = 5 (bad smelling sticky room)

Ok, I couldn't think of anything 'witty', but you get what I'm on about...

But no # is equal to that #. Pi (3.14 etc.) never stops.

2 (way way way (a few trillion decimal places)) has to equal like 2.000000000000000000000000000000000001 or somethin' similar; sense nothing in this world (humans created it, and we arn't perfect) is perfect, that has to be the case.

It may not be 5, but certainly not 4.

Welcome to the reality of infinity.

Didn`t have slightest clue what i just read, but it was fun. Let`s do it again!

Sorry Im not sure for formula, but I remember going over it in College. Their are certain formulas in quantum physics, and other forumlas that acutally say that 2 + 2 = 5. I don't remember how it was formulated, but it does make sense, they are all just different variables.

My math teacher was quite proud to show us. If you check around online, you could probly find the formula somewhere. I believe finite math also has some other formulas that resemble the same outcome. Finite is basically used to calculate randomness.

Pie are not square... cornbread is square

my chem teacher had a feild day with that one.

hahaha

In the physical world, you are right, but for the sake of the stupidness of the human mind, 2=2 and 2 plus 2 is 4

Ah, 2+2=5 from 1984/ The Radiohead song.

2.4 + 2.4 (both rounded down to 2) = 4.8 (rounded up to 5)

dude,2+2=4, your theory is not correct, there doesnt have to be an end to the decimals, your just thinkin too hard, and even if there was, it could end on 0