Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

There's an Ice Age a-comin'

PurpleStuart

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PurpleStuart

• Homer

• Loonboy

• Tommy

[blue]

I thought that scientists did not know what caused ice ages and that any predictions are mere speculations?

:s3

I have my winter warmers ready just in case.

[/blue]

now i know i put that damart catalogue round here somewhere...  :D

oh!!!! not another ice age, we're just getting over the last one! >:( they last about 100,000 years, the inter-glacial period only lasts about 20,000 years. i suppose the cricket will have to be cancelled then. :s07

Actually Homer, it only talks about Europe freezing over  :s8  so I guess the rest of you can enjoy the global warming.  :s02  :sh

Outstanding Tommy 8)

Oh yeah, lets not forget Antarctica. It's temperatures are dropping as well as the ice getting thicker.

At least in some ways global warming is actually a benefit to the earth, as without it, we would still all be stuck in a permanent global-wide ice age.

Many many millions of years ago, a runaway ice age covered the entire planet, known as "Snowball earth". Volcanic activity over a large period of time, pumping carbon dioxide and other gases into the atmosphere, triggered a global warming effect that thawed the planet and allowed the development of life to continue.

It is believed by some that Global Warming is something that occurs anyway, without any human based contributions. In the time of the Romans for example, the earth was a lot warmer in general than it is today. Perhaps Global Warming isn't such a bad thing as is made out, and is perhaps not so much "our fault" as it is the fault of the natural processes of the earth over the centuries.

:su

:sh My vote is for global warming. What's a few degrees warmer, anyway. I like warm weather most of the time.

I have read that one of the concerns with global warming is that it may bring on catastrophic weather that would rather interfer with the life-style of humans. But I have also read that there was catastophic weather during the ice-ages. I think the severe cold would be more harmful to our lifestyle than a wee bit warmer weather would.  

Hey ya'll...notice my post? I've finally made the 100 club. Yea!

Dalia  :su (Shamelessly struts)

[blue]I was just musing about this thread and thought that maybe severe changes in temperature such as ice ages and global warming are Nature's way of shrugging the mass of species from the surface of the Earth. Sort of like throwing out your old junk to make room for the new stuff. This theory credits Nature with semi-intelligence, however...

:s5

Or maybe any widespread species interferes with the environment on the surface of the Earth and it reaches a point where it has been altered significantly enough to cause catastrophic changes. In this line of thinking then, any species reaching a population dense enough to begin to alter their environments significantly is in danger of wiping themselves out.

:s9

[/blue]

Congrats Dalia  :sk

Tommy - well, it could be amoung nature's arsenal against over-population. Of course this would infer (as you say) that nature was intelligent, or created that way...

• 3 weeks later...

For what?  ???

• 2 months later...

Does anybody know if Sorcerer is still waiting? ;D

...i mean it's been 3 1/2 months since he started waiting  :D

:s2 :s2 may be he's decided to be Rip Van Winkle :s9