Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

General tournament chat

Saru

Chess is a sport, just of the mind rather than body. But nobody became a world class footballer in only a few training sessions.

Yeah, but chess doesn't get your the chicks :D

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• __Kratos__

• BurnSide

• Subtemperate

Try. Learn. Never give up.

Good Advice Tal....but most importantly ...

HAVE FUN ! At the end of the day chess is a game and a great way to meet other members of UM that you might not get to know through the forums.

:tu:

Why is it the people who leave the tournament always have losses to me.... :cry: Why cant those who beat me leave.... lol

Talon's right, you do get better the more you play. I went back and had a look at one of my first games in the original tournament..... and I almiost cried I was that awful.... I was obviously out of practise wuite a bit lol. But i got better in that tournament, as it went along.... and I have played better this time around.

Hopefully ill finish around the top 5, then I can feel good about my improvement, considering the field in this tournament is pretty good :)

Chess is a sport, just of the mind rather than body. But nobody became a world class footballer in only a few training sessions.

The thing is...I think it's very easy indeed for the people at the top of the league to say that, and a damn sight more difficult for people at the bottom to accept it :P Part of the reason I stopped playing in the first tournament was because (aside from the fact I got fedup waiting for some games - I'd much rather just sit down and play a game through), it quickly became apparant that not only was Talon going to win the thing (as he is likely to win every single one of these tournaments we host), but that I wasn't even likely to secure a place high up on the score boards.

As much as we say "it's all in the name of fun", it's still a competition, and I think people still do want to win...nobody is going to be having fun if all their doing is losing time and time again. Telling them they'll get better with experience probably isn't much comfort with the same three names in the top spots every single tournament.

:o Bleeding heck Tal I just saw your results and you haven't lost a single game!? Are you secretly heading to being grand or international master? :D

Suicidal Subster

Knights move F6 to H5 remember!! --- Knights on the rim are dim!

Edit- Checkmate! Nice game sweets. Try not to play your Knights on the edge of the board as you are limiting the knights function as they should control 8 squares.

Edited by Lottie

On second thought... maybe you shouldn't play in the tourney. ;)

:lol:

Whoa, sweet.. RHP is letting me play SEVEN games! Guess, I'll get to play you, Lottie. ^_^ Good luck and have fun. :)

Edited by __Kratos__

Lottie is a meanie :cry:

Subby play better this time.... :yes:

Thanks for the inspirational post, Talon. ^_^ I'll come back next year and I'll beat you all! *Shakes fist*

(By next year I mean in 20 years.)

I used to be really good. During school last year, I played intramural chess and was undefeated. But now I'm just plain terrible.

Whoa, sweet.. RHP is letting me play SEVEN games!

It did that for me too, so long as you don't let your number of games drop back down to 6 you should be able to keep going, I think I had 8 on the go at one point without subscribing.

Trouble is it's hard to keep track of that many games, so that's my excuse for losing a couple :lol:

Guys I think I am going to have to resign from the tournament... my comp is out of action and im sharing my dads... I cant move enough. :(

Edited by Richdog

Come one someone sign on to play...I wanna play a few games before I go....

Oh and Richdog, don't resign...my comp is out too (hell I can't even get it to re-install XP a.t.m.) and am using my sister's. I'm sure we can all wait...

Edited by Ashley-Star*Child

I may have to opt out as well due to injuries involving a horse. I will try to hang in there though. If I am at all able to sit tomorrow I will still play...as it is..I don't even know if I will be able to get out of bed. But don't count me out yet. :)

I have a few spaces free for anyone looking to play who i haven't challenged yet. :tu:

Just thought i'd mention this here for those who were either too late to join in the tournament or who have been removed/opted out due to time constraints; we may be implementing a new chess system on the site once the tournament is nearing it's finishing stages.

The new system which was suggested by Subby, involves us having a continuous 'league', where players can opt to take part at any time. It will no longer be necessary for newer players to play any games against more experienced players, which should be more appealing to beginners who can instead opt to play only against other chess beginners.

The league would consist of a ranking system, with the most experienced player at the top and gradually moving down to the newer players at the bottom. To move up the rank, a player would need to challenge and beat a player who is of a higher rank - if they succeed then they move up to that position and the other players below that point move down one position. In this way players can slowly try to move up the ranks.

The idea is still in it's early stages, so i don't have all the details yet. The main aim of it is to encourage more people to take part, and to prevent our less experienced players from having to play against people they don't want to. It also eliminates waiting for players to finish, or the need to remove players who take a long time to move.

what a great idea, Saru!

I'm more then a novice myself, having never played chess and I would love to learn: this would be an opportunity for people such as myself to be able to join and learn, thus, enabling me, per say, to kick some UM keester after a length of time :) lol

The main aim of it is to encourage more people to take part, and to prevent our less experienced players from having to play against people they don't want to.

Hehehehe, who wouldn't want to play against Talon? :lol:*all hands go up*............Whoa :blink: guys, it was just a rethorical question. j/k :P

who wouldn't want to play against Talon

Playing against a stronger player is the only way we learn, it's Talon I feel sorry for how's he going to get any better playing us lot!? :lol:

I would think its good for Talon, as a lot of us aren't very good at technique we have an air of unpredictability to us, rather then someone who have a certain technique they always play with....

Then of course, he does beat us all.... that can't feel all that bad... :lol:

Heeeeeeeeeeeelp!

I'm being tag teamed by Kratos, Thistle and Talon....this is not looking good :no::unsure2:

I'm being tag teamed by Kratos, Thistle and Talon....this is not looking good

Well if it helps, I'm pretty sure you're making the best possible moves against me, or at least certainly the moves I don't want you to make :yes:

Heeeeeeeeeeeelp!

I'm being tag teamed by Kratos, Thistle and Talon....this is not looking good :no::unsure2:

We're even right now by the looks of it. My poor knight... :cry: I hope you didn't torture him too long before ending his miserable life. :P

I've got Thistle going against me as well... slippery queen she has. :P

Edited by __Kratos__

Thistle is about as slippery as they get...watch out..she is a Master of the Pawn :yes:

The master of the pawn has become master of the pillow, so you can have relax about that game for now....

I shall go play my... oh...I dont have any left.... :(

*slakes fist at heavens* DAMNNNNN YOOUUUUU