Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

why'd you choose it?

bacca

I don't think it was a question of searching for God. It was just a question of why you are in the relgion you are in, whatever that may be.

And, it was a good point. I believe most people are born into their religion. I don't think it is a personal attack and it doesn't mean it is wrong to be born into it. :)

Although, to be truly of your faith, should you not question it? If you never question it, you never ask questions and if you never ask questions, you never learn....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bacca

• SilverCougar

• Oubli

Top Posters In This Topic

Why push someone on their beliefs? If it fits them, they have no need to search.

PARABLE:

If your shoes cause you pain, you try to fix them. If they still cause you pain, you look for another pair.

BUT, if your shoes fit, are presentable, and you enjoy them, you do not need to fix, or replace them.

Now, just substitute "religion" for "shoes", and you'll get my point.

;)

good journey

how do you know and love him? don't you think you should find him for yourself rather then take the word of everyone around you and believe what they do just becuase they told you as a child that that was the right way? Haven't you ever wondered if perhaps there was something different out there that may suit you better? and if you go back to where you started fine but what if? you've never looked how do you know?

There might be something that suits this person better? How do you know what would "suit" a person you dont even know? Maybe Christianity fits just right for this person? Just maybe?

JMPD:

I love your posts. They are always very thoughtful and eloquently put! We need more of that in today's world!

I did not mean you should push someone in their religion, I just meant it is always good to question. I believe it is how we learn. We ask, we get answers. There is always something new and undiscovered in every religion to learn.

Edited by amybutts

Merci, Amy.

I try my best.

see your missing my point here. I don't know what suits anyone here but I also think that someone should have a reason other then I was born into it when they follow something so whole heartdly that their life revolves around it. Yes that is my opinion and no you don't have to agree with it. But just because you are born into an abusive lying house hold and it you are used to it doesn't mean that it is good for you.

see your missing my point here. I don't know what suits anyone here but I also think that someone should have a reason other then I was born into it when they follow something so whole heartdly that their life revolves around it. Yes that is my opinion and no you don't have to agree with it. But just because you are born into an abusive lying house hold and it you are used to it doesn't mean that it is good for you.

Yeah on that basis i agree with you indeed. Many people convert to something else as they reach adulthood- yet some people are comfortable with what they believe in. If it feels right it most likely is right. We have free will- and some people freely chose to stay in the faith they were raised in- everyone has the option and choice to change- some do...some dont. Who cares? Christians can be really sweet, everyone knows that. So let this 101 be. 101 isn't being ignorant by not "Seeking" something else- 101 seems truely happy and why risk taking the joy away?

JMPD and Ramster put it best.

But to tell you the truth I have talked to others about their religion. I just don't find it appealing. Why buy some shoes that I do not think will become me?

basically because this isn't about 101 it was a question that she answered a responded to and now seems to be revolving around her. she wants to stay in the same place she was raised so woo hoo for her.....I've heard it enough times already

So how about everyone else what makes you choose the way you do?

Because the religion I was raised in "didn't fit" me.

I now have one that suits me to a tee.

(just to continue the habadashery imagery)

basically because this isn't about 101 it was a question that she answered a responded to and now seems to be revolving around her. she wants to stay in the same place she was raised so woo hoo for her.....I've heard it enough times already

So how about everyone else what makes you choose the way you do?

Your responses enlighten me so. :rolleyes:

As I read some of the posts there are some people who are so sure that their religion is right and everyone else's is wrong that they seem to have stopped looking for answers and instead just take everything as god's will or god's work or what ever so my question is why do you choose the religion that you do? why makes you so sure that your choice is the right one? there are more then one version of the bible so again what makes yours the correct one? and how can you be so sure of your own correct judgement that you can say for sure that you are right and others who don't follow your way are wrong?

Im a Zorastrian, Zerdust for short. I didnt choose the religion but Im glad that I am a Zorastrian, cuz it is the first religion in the world and got good rules with alot of freedom. And I think freedom is very important especcially when it comes down to religions. I think Zerdust is like the most freeldomfull religion in the world. And besides in my religion you can accept other religions aswell. So no problems there.

In the area of Acient Persian Empire, everyone has two kinds of religions, one your a Muslims and second your a Zorastrian. The Muslims and Zorastrian are enemies, they have opposite ideas, and because the goverment (Mullahs) dont like Zorastrians, the people choose Muslim to be the primair religion. But the people always celebrate the Zorastrian holidays, festivals, etc aswell.

My dad is like the most anti Muslim person I have ever seen because the Mullahs destroyed his country and banned him from Iran. So I didnt wanna upset and dishonour my father and I didnt choose Muslim to be my religion instead I choose Zerdust. Later on I understanded that Zerdust is actually a much better religion and is well fit for me. Thats my reason why. :innocent:

In Zerdust mankind must learn to relay on himself, so you cant blame God for anything, God made only a few rules to give humans more freedom. And there is only one version of the Zerdust religion, the original one. :tu:

Edited by Baku

I never heard of Zerdust religion before. Is it active here in the states?

Baku:

I've never heard of Zorastrian Zerdust before?? I am intrigued! I'm going to have to look it up and learn a little something about it.... How do you know it was the first religion? If you don't mind me asking you.

Amy

yeah that's my point there small, you choose to leave so the question is why? what makes YOU so sure there is nothing? Its an opinion question nothing more

Because there was nothing to suggest there is something else (afterlife, heaven, hell etc..)

Im not perfectly 100% sure that there is nothing, but after looking and question and weighing in the evidence for and against, I personally come to the conclusion that god is unlikely based upon what I had learned as I grew up. Similar to the way I grew out of santa and the tooth fairy. I come to understand more about reality and the world. Education is what may turn you away from believing in god. It was for me. Not education that challenges god directly, but general education that lets me see a more clearer picture of the world and then I could look at the religion/god question and be able to come up with an educated opinion rather than an un-educated guess.

Edited by whoa182

no need to be rude.

besides, that's what some people do. don't ask a question if you won't like the answer. i, for one, was "born into" the religion i follow, have checked out other ones, but disagree with them. so i stay where i'm at. :yes:

Baku:

I've never heard of Zorastrian Zerdust before?? I am intrigued! I'm going to have to look it up and learn a little something about it.... How do you know it was the first religion? If you don't mind me asking you.

Amy

Well because I readed books that said it was the first religion and by that I mean books written by western sienticst. And besides the Zerdust calander is now in the year 7800. It is written pretty much on all the internet, I thought you guys knew :P

One of our original symbols is the swastika, but Hitler stole it and gave is a bad name. The swastika actually is supposed to be horizontal. We dont use that symbol anymore cuz it gets people confused. :P

The symbol represent the four elements of nature; water, fire, earth and air. Just check out the link for more info.

LINK

Edited by Baku

no need to be rude.

besides, that's what some people do. don't ask a question if you won't like the answer. i, for one, was "born into" the religion i follow, have checked out other ones, but disagree with them. so i stay where i'm at. :yes:

I wasn't rude. I was stating a point that this wasn't started to talk about 101 or her situation but rather to see what everyone thought and why they made their decision. However I agree that you shouldn't post something if you can't handle the comments back to you and continually have to complain that others are being rude because they don't agree with you. I am just making a matter of fact statement that I would like to see about everyone and not dwell on one.

Huh! Thanks Baku. That is way intersting. I'm going to have to check it out and the link to. I am relatively new to the boards, that is probably why I did not already know.

To answer Bacca's question, I chose my religion because of my husband. (Okay, I know that is not always the best reason, but we are a perfect match, been together 15 years. We have learned to agree to disagree and respect each other's belief systems.)

I later realized this was not the best reason to choose a religion, as I could not conform to it. I do believe in God, it was the specific church I had problems with.

So, I guess you could say I am still searching......

That is interesting Baku. Thank you for sharing. It is awful how people always assume the bad out of everything.

All religions offer guidance and advice about morality, spiritual paths, how to treat others ect.

However the unique thing about Christian believe is that the Creator Himself realized that mankind was unable too fully comprehend the results of his flaws/sins against Him. And provided a just sentence off DEATH upon all sinners.

This sentence was than served by Himself (through His only begotten Son Jesus Christ) God himself became 100% human to accomplish this feat. And through Faith and faith alone (NOT WORKS OR SPIRITUAL ENLIGHTMENTS) provided a way for us too return to our Fathers house.

This fact sets Christianity aside from all world religions

Every religion I've looked at, except Christianity, has basically been a set of rules or morals or guides on how to "get right" with God, or achieve enlightenment, to reach a higher state, or just to be happy.

The problem I've always had about this is we never know how much is enough. Have we meditated enough to reach Nirvana? Have we given enough money to the poor to be considered right with God? Have we been good enough?

Christianity is different because it's not about what I have to do to, but what God has already done for us.

To me, this is the major difference between Christianity (which I don't consider a "religion" but a way of life) and other faiths/worldviews. As I've said before, Christianity just makes sense.

Regards, PA

Every bodies going to be upset with me, because I am going to change the topic in my post just for a few lines, then I'll get back on track.

The religion was founded by Zarathushtra. His date is uncertain, but is probably somewhere around 1200 BC. He lived and preached in the Inner Asian steppes. Zarathushtra received his revelations directly from Ahura Mazda, and from his Archangels (Amesha Spentas)

Baku

cuz it is the first religion in the world

:huh:

I love ya :wub: , but how is 1200BC the start of the first religion? Might be the start of patriarchal-monotheistic-good-vs-evil, but not the first religion. We are missing about 30,000 years of human history.

Ok I got that off my chest.

My religion came to me. I have had these beliefs all my life. I just didn't have a system for them. I tried Christianity and Buddhism, but they were the wrong fit. Christianity, because that was what I was told to do as a child by Christians. (Not my Parents by the way.) Buddhism, because I was searching. It wasn't until middle age I started to hear the call of the Goddess. At first it was confusing, but she pointed me at the right person, and I was told I was a Pagan and there are lots of them. My first thought was "I am NOT insane. There ARE people like me." :yes:

Edited by Darkwind