Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mars Approaches

Starlyte

On 27th August, Mars will be at its closest to Earth for almost 60,000 years. On that date, the Red Planet will approach to within 34,646,418 miles (55,758,006 km) -- 145 times the distance of the Moon.

The last time the two planets were so close our ancestors were living in caves and struggling to survive the extreme conditions of the Ice Age. Who knows what will have happened by the time they are as near again -- 284 years into the future?

WHEN AND WHERE TO SEE MARS

Mars is now in the constellation Aquarius and is readily recognised because it is already the brightest object in the night sky (apart from the Moon). Instantly recognisable by its brilliance and orange-red colour, it will remain easy to spot for several months, low in the sky somewhere between the southeast and the southwest. (Exactly where depends on the date and time.)

Currently, Mars rises at about 11 pm (BST) but it comes up a few minutes earlier each night. Future rising times are 10 pm on 7 August, 9 pm on 21 August and 8 pm on 4 September. About 5 hours after it has risen, Mars reaches its highest point above the horizon -- an altitude of about 23 degrees as seen from London -- and lies due south.

Full Article LINK

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kismit

• Starlyte

• PurpleStuart

• forst

sounds cool cool.gif .. but scary sad.gif .. I wonder what will happen .. hmm .. on th 28th I will be on my way back to Kuwait ...

please God .. make it a safe trip back home .. rolleyes.gif

I have actually noticed an increase in the hieght of the tides along the coast here . I am well aware of the moons effect on the sea , and I have been through a few King tides , but this one seems a little higher still . huh.gif Do you think it could be possible that Mars is actually effecting the tides also ?

Thanx for the link Starlyte .

Although it probably has some effect, the difference would be miniscule i would of thought

I would have thought so too PS . Only I have never seen them so high as thay were last week during the mid part of the moon phases . I'm used to them getting up there when the Moon is full or new but not half way through the cycle . So I just thought I would point it out. original.gif

keep a track of it, keep a record.

Sorry P.S it will have to be a visual record as I spend my time getting people there damn double shot Latte's during my observation times. ohmy.gif

The problem is the place where I live, you can never see anything good like this!

Street lights...cloudy all over the sky.

It isn't often there is a clear sky. Once however we had a couch on the street as we was going to have it dumped, so that night I sat on it, and we had a clear sky. I was laying down wathcing the sky, t'was nice, but people that was walking past looked at me weird.

I can occasionally see some stuff pretty well with my refracting telescope, although I may not be able to see that much of Mars. I'll be out around midnight tonight looking at what I can see. If the moon is out I'll take a gander at that as well.

I'll try and be out on the 27th to see when Mars is the closest, but I may not be able to.

I actually saw Mars two weeks ago. It rose in the East colored red-orange, and I could see it extremely well. I think it was around 11:30 or midnight. I was out at my parent's house in the country and it was a beautifully clear night. I don't have a telescope so I was viewing naked eye, but even when I tried to use my brother's binoculars, it seemed clearer to me without them. I wish I could get a closer view, but the fact that I saw it at all was amazing. I urge everyone to try to find it if possible. original.gif

I went out last night but it was far too cloudy to see more than an outline of the moon. However, the light from the moon was reflecting in the clouds so it was rather bright. When you think about it, that means I was seeing sunlight reflected from the moon reflected again on clouds...

Anyway, I'll be out again tonight hoping to see Mars.

I went out last night but it was far too cloudy to see more than an outline of the moon.

When I found Mars it was around the time of the New moon. With the full moon today it may be hard to see Mars. Good luck though! Let us know is you are able to see it! original.gif