Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I live in New Orleans

antiaging

I've been off the internet for about a month; had no electricity for about a month. I live near the river. The lake pushed water about 500 yards from my house and there it stopped. They ordered a mandatory evacuation for the whole city, even the dry areas. Anyone caught in the evacuation areas could be regarded as a looter. The city was under military law with marines walking around. However, I believe that according to Federal law a person has the right to remain on his own property in a disaster. So I stayed. Mandatory evacuation means if you choose to stay, they will not help you; you are responsible for yourself and on your own.

I disconnected the phone so the authorities would not know I was there.

I heard the eye wall of hurricaine Katrina over the river. My house was getting hit with wind gusts around 80 mph, and then I started hearing what sounded like a popping kind of thunder, like something was being ground up. It was getting louder, like a train coming, then the sound started getting softer and it went away.

The dog cathers from the SPCA were grabbing dogs and hauling them away about every 3 days. They kill dogs. I had a constant sound of helicopters coming and going for about 4 or 5 days. They also patrolled at night, looking for looters. I would try to be quiet, and keep my hand over the flashlight so as not to be seen by the planes and helicopters. It felt like being in a black out in World War 2, - lights out when a plane is coming.

The marines came through after about a week. I saw them patrolling. They had absolute authority on city property, the streets and sidewalk. As long as I stayed on private property they could not legally do me anything. At about 3 am I heard an m-16 fire about 10 shots. I heard someone say Halt, another morning, and then someone started screaming. I suppose the marines confronted a looter suspect and threw him to the ground.

If I would have left my house, I could have been arrested or shot at as a looter suspect. I stayed inside, and stayed quiet.

If someone was knocking on the door or saying anything outside, I would just put on ear plugs and ear phones over that, knocking out about 50 decibels; I don't want to know what they said. I was prepared to charge them with illegal breaking and entering if they would have broken in.

I felt like Anne Frank hiding out from the Nazis in Holland.

Well it is over now, and the neighbors are back. Now I need to find a store that is selling food some where in the area.

I have a dehydrated food supply for a disaster, but I really don't want to go into that.

Edited by antiaging

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Novo

• Catrat

• antiaging

• scoobysnack

It's good to know that you survived and that your safe and sound now.

I wish you all the best in the impending months. :tu:

We will get you an, "I survived Hurricane Katrina" T-Shirt, and make you get a matching tattoo :D

Dude you should have just evacuated, you only made the situation worse for yourself. But Im glad your OK, thats some story to tell the kids.

I am glad you are OK, I can't imagine what it was like.

Damn, you went through a lot. Good to see you survived.

The presedent is being set for Martial law to be set up across the United States. Mandatory evacuations out of cities into FEMA concentration camps. I've been waiting years for this. Do you know they were going home to home and confiscating legal fire arms from American citizens. ****ing pigs!

What a scary experience. I'm glad you're okay. Just out of curiousity, why didn't you want to evacuate? Was it a taking care of your possessions thing? I don't think I would have been able to stay, especially if I was that close to the hurricane.

:) Good to hear everything is shaping up for better though.

Well, I know down here(southwestern virginia) A home is kind of psuedo-religous for alot of people. And for most people down here, Giving up your property or abandoning it seems just as nuts as sitting through a hurricane.

Glad to hear you ok, Have you ran in to any blackwater mercenaries yet?

Edited by Novo