Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

What Brought The Mayan Reign To An End ?

8 posts in this topic

UM-Bot

mayatikal.jpg

From 200 BC onwards, the semi-tropical rainforest in the Petén region of Guatemala and the border areas of Mexico, Belize, Honduras and El Salvador were the original natural home of the Mayans.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Granma International

emmy

Its weird how so many civilisations such as the mayans, incas, romans etc have just come to an end.

Althalus

I know, You would have thought that all of these ancient civilizations would have been better able to protect against this type of thing, the frightening ease with which they collapsed makes you wonder how long our one has left.

Homer

I was thinking that also. It seems no matter how advanced we become, we are still quite fragile in that sense.

Thanks for the article SaRuMaN original.gif

Aslan

Yes, interesting article. I wonder if it was the insularity of the Mayans that caused their downfall, and it also makes yoy wonder how many sizeable civilizations have vanished in the past with little or no record of their existence.

PurpleStuart

Aslan - yeah, thats what precisely facinates me

PurpleStuart

Good article - i remember seeing documentaries about the same theory, lack of water leading to internal strife which allowed other cultures to take prominance

snuffypuffer

So what's gonna happen to us? I mean, our society is more or less global, so it'd be a bit harder for our system to collapse. But it's possible, makes you think.