Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bush nominates a WOMAN for the court

Babs

Bush nominates Harriet Miers. I heard, on Fox News, that Laura Bush told President Bush that she thought a woman should be on the court. And, I heard, on the news, that Harriet Miers took a stand and stood out on CHOICE during her career (Pro-choice). She is not a strong pro-lifer.

It seems that she is a very good choice!

here :tu:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Babs

• Celumnaz

• Nxt2Hvn

• Fluffybunny

We will just have to wait and see if she is the best person for the job...

I am not a big advocate for my gender... I do not necessarilly think a woman would be good for a job.. just because they are a woman.

I do NOT think that a woman would be good for President of the U.S. just because she is a woman....

Actually a woman would have to prove themselves to be more qualified than a man would.

:hmm:

I do NOT think that a woman would be good for President of the U.S. just because she is a woman....

I don't agree with that over here in the UK we had Margaret Thatcher as Prime Minister and no one messed with the Iron Lady lol ..just like any man if she has the qualifications and determination a woman can do any job a man can!!

Actually a woman would have to prove themselves to be more qualified than a man would.

Sadly that is the case with most jobs!!

Some women might be right for a high level position like that.. but women as a rule let their emotions guide them...

I am just saying that I do not get all excited and say (in my prissy woman voice of course) "Oh wow... a woman is running.. I will vote for her.. just because I believe in women's rights... and think a woman should be in office".... :rolleyes:

Nope.. a woman would have to make me believe that she could do the job.

I know that sounds weird coming from a woman... but .... I have been known to be too honest and harsh.

I hope he didnt nominate her just because his wife said she would like to have a woman.

If so, its still a step forward ^_^

Sadly, women have been so qualified, even over-qualified, for the job (or jobs) and not gotten it. <_< This is't about "just a woman for the job", it is about a wonderfully qualified woman getting the job!

And helping our nation raise women in society.

......the conservatives are mad. I love it! Bush came through, I was beginning to wonder if he would, after hurricane Katrina.

p.s. ...Remember Laura Bush was a democrat before she met the Bush clan. ;)

Edited by Babs

Well, she is REPLACING a woman. Keeping the status quo. :rolleyes:

In my opinion, bush had no choice but to nominate a woman or a minority. If he were really progressive he would have nominated a black woman for chief justice. :tu:

I am not a big advocate for my gender... I do not necessarilly think a woman would be good for a job.. just because they are a woman.

Sounds like someone has been taught to hate themselvs for being a woman. But you are right, a person no matter who they are, should not be given a job they are not quallified for - Michael D. Brown!

Edited by 4dplane

In my opinion, bush had no choice but to nominate a woman or a minority. If he were really progressive he would have nominated a black woman for chief justice.

Of course he had a choice, his job is to nominate whomever he feels is the most qualified regardless of color, or gender. To do any less would be the same as Affirmative Action placing people in positions based completely on their skin color or gender, a plan I was always in complete disagreement with. I believe to much emphasis is placed on these criteria instead of on the qualifications of the nominee. Kind of a reverse discrimination. Now lets hope that this nominee gets the up and down vote they deserve instead of a long drawn out affair.

Edited by twpdyp

Sounds like someone has been taught to hate themselvs for being a woman. But you are right, a person no matter who they are, should be given a job they are not quallified for - Michael D. Brown!

Sorry.. but I don't hate myself... actually I LOVE myself.. and think I would be great for any job! :tu: (so don't think you know me)

But other women ... most of them wouldn't...

I said I am not an advocate for women... because most women think they are owed something... and most women would vote for a woman... just because they are a woman.. and not because they are the right person for a certain job.

Plus.. women as a whole are weak. I am not... i have been through lots of challenges in my life... and have come out on top.. and pretty darn tough.

:tu:

Edited by Nxt2Hvn

Plus.. women as a whole are weak. I am not... i have been through lots of challenges in my life... and have come out on top.. and pretty darn tough.

Eh, selling us all a little short there, Nxt. :huh:

Who cares if she's a woman. She will suck just like the rest of them. Get the power out of the judicial branch. They are not there to make laws, yet they have the power to do so and use it as such.

Eh, selling us all a little short there, Nxt. :huh:

Mmmm.. not at all.. I guess that would depend on if you are one of those women who say poor me... :hmm:

I am just saying... If a woman runs for President... I will not vote for her just because she is a woman. And I know a LOT of women who would. Just because they feel that it is due time that a woman became president.

And yes.. I still believe that a LOT of women are weak emtionally. Not saying all. I actually do not have many women friends.. because I get so tired of ... the pitty party that most women portray. I have about 4 close women friends, and they feel the same way I do.

Yes, it's true that a woman seems to have to prove herself as being even more qualified. I think that is sooo wrong. Everyone....Yup, men included...should have to prove their worth!!

Just because you do or don't have certain sexual organs doesn't make you more or less qualified. People who judge on the basis of gender are really doing themselves a BIG DIS-SERVICE!!! I've seen women be more competent then men, but then again I've also seen them fail just as badly.

Competency has nothing to do with gender. It has to do with abilities, attitude & work ethic. Anyone can be good at their job if they have good abilities, the right attitude & a strong, stick-to-it work ethic. So we shall see how see does.

Also in reading some of the posts....women aren't the only ones who let their emotions get away with them. How many men have beat the #e!! out of another guy just cause he looked at his girlfriend or made a comment about her? I personally know several. So men can let their emotions get in the way also. No human is perfect.

40nrockinon :devil:

I understand that she never actually was a judge...wouldn't that be a requirement?

I may have missed something but it appears from the yahoo article that she doesn't seem to have the experience to do the job.

Yeah, that was my take on it too. The impression I'm getting here is that he's nominated an unqualified friend (White House council -- isn't that, like, his own lawyer?) and is riding on the fact that she's a woman to make him look good.

I actually agree, in part, with Nxt. I don't think women are less qualified for anything as a gender, but I wouldn't vote for someone for anything just because she's a woman. She has to be qualified.

:hmm:

Look, the idea that men have set the bar, or are the status quo, and thus women must pull themselves up is ridiculous. Just as emotions can effect one's job performance, so can a lack of emotions. Just because men have dominated certain fields, there isn't some implicit law that states that only men can perform in those jobs. There are many problems in the world, and if many of the top fields have been controlled by men for such a long time, then diversity really doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

*Edited for spelling.

Edited by Ourmoonlitsun

Cheney was talking today on the radio and said that they don't have to be judges, in fact, they want diversity and Harriet brings this to the table. Not to mention she has worked hard and long hours for every advancement she has gotten, and her credentials are very impressive. :yes:

profile: here

Edited by Babs

That just doesn't make sense to me. If a person(man or woman, I could care less), is going to become the TOP judge making decisions that will effect law for as long as this country is around, it seems like it kinda might be a good idea to have an idea of what a judge does...

Call me wacky.

She seems like a nice bright person, but I am sorry, if she isn't familiar with interpreting constitutional law; she is a waste of a seat on the supreme court.

The next time you get on an airplane and the pilot walks by wearing a surgeons uniform, I wouldn't care how smart or diverse they may be, I wan't someone who has the skills necessary to do the job correctly, especially a job as important as a jet pilot(or supreme court judge).

It is a mistake in my opinion.

I agree with what you just said, although, I hardly think the president of the United States would nominate someone who is unqualified. :geek: They are saying (Cheney) that she will make a big difference....America will see the difference, 10 years from now.

Edited by Babs

Kinda of like how he appointed Mr.Brown as FEMA director even though he had no experience in that field. She seems like a good person but Fluffy bunny is right appointing someone as a Supreme Court Judge of the country when she's never even been a judge doesnt seem like a very logical decision. Would you want a med school student performing brain surgery on you without any experience. If she does get elected I hope she is a strong enough women to make her own decisions and not get influenced by others. I am glad he picked another women though they need at least 1 female POV in the court.

Miers gave mixed answers on gay rights

Quiz hints at nominee's views on gay rights

A questionnaire filled out in 1989 by U.S. Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers is being promoted as an insight into her views on gay rights and the law. In answers to a Texas gay rights group when she was running for a seat on Dallas City Council, she said she believed gay men and lesbians should have the same civil rights as straight Americans, but that she also opposed repeal of the state's sodomy law criminalizing same-sex sexual conduct.

Full Story Here