Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

On the trail of the werewolf

UM-Bot

Image credit: Wikipedia
Image credit: Wikipedia
Werewolves. People who shapeshift into howling, bloodthirsty wolves by the light of the full moon. As Lord Byron noted, this affliction is also known as lycanthropy. It’s a superstition that dates back centuries and has been popularized by books of fiction and dozens of films.

Virtually every culture on the planet has lore and traditions of were-creatures.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: about.com

In my state of Wisconsin live many Native American ( Indians) tribes. Their verbal history is rich in man -to-animal transformations. I believe the stories are for life and Moral teachings of the next generations. Yet some stories are based on Historical Facts. So I don't know if a human can transform or not. I cant ,

But some times my Wife in the mornings turns in to a BEAR! :D

• Like 2

a bear,wow :)

to me werewolf legend is very beautiful... lithuanian folklore also mentions werewolves or "dogheads", but it isnt rich in this. I never knew a werewolf has something similar to an ape as many sightings claim this. I always thought theyre just big wolwes

"dog heads"? heh, reminds me of the egyptian god Anubis...

According to greek mythology, there was a King named Lycaon, who set a dish of human flesh before the god Zeus, disgusted from this, Zeus punished Lycaon, and turned him into a wolf. (some say that he dished up his own son).

from this story, comes the term; Lycanthrope

post-24320-1128630472_thumb.jpg

I saw a special on the family that had the boys covered in hair. They looked pretty creepy. I couldn't figure out how they all had hot girlfriends.

I bet viking berserker warriors, dressed in bear skins and drugged to ruthlessly butcher everyone around them, helped inspiring these legends as well.

• 1 year later...

hey

just to throw my two cents in there. lycanthropy doesnt nesecarily have to do with werewolves. It can be used when refering to any were creature/ skin wearer. Just thought id add that for those who care.

sincerly

fin

• 5 years later...

It'd be cool to be able to shape shift.

I had a good shift last night-lol.

i am one so if ju whant to know more let me know

I'd like to know how the conservation of energy applies to the change.

• Like 1

I'd like to know, everything.

I hope this doesn't turn into another role playing (tos) type set of posts.

If anything, I would shape shift into a Part-Monkey and Part-Human that way I can utilize both of the advantage traits, allowing for much effective offensive and defensive capabilities. Also having a tail would come in handy quite often while doing everyday chores around the house and at the office.

• Like 1